Neural DSP vs. ...?

• Thread starter nyxzz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nyxzz

Reaction score
hey guys,

living situation and finances are forcing me to sell all of my pedals and my head/cab. to prepare for this, im trying to find the best amp emulation that isn't kemper or axe fx levels of expensive. I already have some yamaha monitors (whatever the white cones are that are super popular, name escapes me) and a recent scarlet 2i2 interface. I bought bias fx a few years ago and saw fx 2 came out recently. it was 60 bucks since i owned the first one so i gave it a shot...was not impressed. just felt weird and super synthetic, as did fx 1. I remembered neural dsp existing and saw they had standalone programs. downloaded the plini and nolly sets and im blown away, it destroys bias fx. my question to you all is - is there something better than neural dsp sets in a similar price range? id appreciate anyones opinion

Merrekof

Reaction score
Sorry to hear, had a financial downfall last year so I had to let go of some gear too..

As far as software fx goes, I tried the Peavey Revalver software when it first came out, many years ago. It sounded like garbage! Haven't tried anything software related other than some free trial plugins but there was nothing that I thought was worth it.

What's your budget? Have you thought about small preamp modellers? Like Zoom, Digitech, Mooer, Joyo,.. they've come a long way the last few years in terms of sound quality and can be hooked up directly to your monitors. (Depends on the model and the outputs it has ofcourse)

A little more expensive but a Boss multi-fx unit or Katana amp, Line6 Pod,..?

Ofcourse you can't compare it to the real deal but small money will get you a decent enough tone these days imo..

nickgray

Reaction score
This should be in the recording forum.

Bias is pretty crap in general, at least imo. They're good at marketing, but that's all about they're good at. Neural is great, but it uses iLok (even without the dongle it's still a very draconian DRM), and it's pricey too. For something really cheap, try Mercuriall SS-11X. it's really good. It's a just a preamp emulation, but it's still awesome, the tone and the feel are definitely up there as far as plugins go. You can use the free Ignite power amp sim if you want to. TSE X50 is also pretty great, definitely check it out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I don't think you're going to find anything more enjoyable, quick and easy to use, good feeling, or good sounding as the Neural stuff in that price range. Especially with how versatile the Nolly and Plini plugin's are for covering different sounds and genres. I have Archetype Nolly and it's kept me very satisfied since I bought it. Enough so that I haven't felt compelled to buy any of the other Neural plugins, other than Parallax for bass. And the only hardware you need is what you already have.

I downloaded the Helix Native trial a few days ago and the high gain sounds don't even come close to the Neural stuff in my opinion, but the effects are a blast. And ilok may be draconian but in my experience it's unobtrusive and your plugins will still work without an internet connection.

Just my two cents as an amateur of course.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
This should be in the recording forum.

Bias is pretty crap in general, at least imo. They're good at marketing, but that's all about they're good at. Neural is great, but it uses iLok (even without the dongle it's still a very draconian DRM), and it's pricey too. For something really cheap, try Mercuriall SS-11X. it's really good. It's a just a preamp emulation, but it's still awesome, the tone and the feel are definitely up there as far as plugins go. You can use the free Ignite power amp sim if you want to. TSE X50 is also pretty great, definitely check it out.

Ah shit, they use friggin’ iLok? I hate that shit. That’s a real turn off.

nickgray

Reaction score
Ah shit, they use friggin’ iLok? I hate that shit. That’s a real turn off.

Yep. It's 3 activations, and iLok is also finicky with hardware changes, afaik. Considering the price, it's completely absurd. They did really damn good with their marketing though.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Yep. It's 3 activations, and iLok is also finicky with hardware changes, afaik. Considering the price, it's completely absurd. They did really damn good with their marketing though.

Ugh. Forget that. I have Helix Native, I’ll just stick with that.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
For the money if using for recording only, I really dig what I've been getting out of the STL Tonality Will Putney bundle, but for live, I'm still using my HD500X, but would love to get either a Helix, or as soon as it is ready the Neural DSP Quad Cortex.

nickgray

Reaction score
The iLok activation for neural plug-ins is done through software and takes 60 seconds max to do.

The problem is not the activation, it's the reactivation. You get 3 activations, so 2 extra ones basically, and after then it's down to customer support. I've seen mentions that iLok craps out even after something dumb like repartitioning a hard drive or copying the files to a different drive. So basically, chances are, you get a new ssd or a new video card - and you're down an activation, leaving you with just one spare one. If you use a desktop computer and a laptop - you'll have zero. Not to mention that you're installing some weird ass unsigned drivers, who knows what potential vulnerabilities they might have.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I'm confident Neural would just send you a bunch more activations if you emailed them nicely and explained. I don't think I've ever seen anyone having trouble like that on the Fb group.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
Just want to say rhat I updated my C:/ drive, and just cloned the original one onto a large SSD, and had no issues at all. My ilok cloud worked perfectly.

The stigma of the old ilok is well deserved, but seem to be no longer relevant.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
NDSP using iLok is far less of a crime than GGD using Kontakt. :barf:

Let alone, Cubase forcing the physical dongle thing. :barf::barf:

Also, I understand why people feel so hostile towards all these services like iLok (or why Cubase forces the dongle) but that's only because the companies are forced to because how big of a problem software piracy still is today.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I like the Neural DSP DarkGlass plugins a lot, although I hate having to load iLok along side it. I have switched over to using Helix Native since it capture a very similar sound (Obsidian 7000 distortion preset) with more flexibility over cabinet IRs.

That being said, I also have a DarkGlass B7k Ultra, but use that in front of amps, so have not used the cab IR out of it much yet.

InHiding

Reaction score
I would at least try Ignite Amps Emissary since it's free and some people like it. I think the new version 2 has been developed from the ground up. Every component modeled just like in Neural plugins I think. I haven't really tried the new version.

D-Nasty

Reaction score
I would at least try Ignite Amps Emissary since it's free and some people like it. I think the new version 2 has been developed from the ground up. Every component modeled just like in Neural plugins I think. I haven't really tried the new version.

Emissary is as good or better than most of the paid amp sims on the market. I like to boost it with the free Mercuriall "Greed Smasher" or "TSC" boosts. Use NadIR (also free) with some good impulses & it slays!