New BKP Ragnarok

• Thread starter chopeth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
They have to be pink for a FP. With how you spec'd your Duncans I'd say the Ragnaroks would suit you more than the Juggs, judging by the feedback i've read.

NOTED! I have a green C-Bomb in it though and it looks cool. I do think the Ragnarok will suit me better than the Juggs. Especially in a 7, and I'd love to A/B them with the AV-Pig and C-Pig.

Juggs do not scream unless you have a very heavy picking hand or a fuckton of gain. They also have a very distinct cocked wah kind of voicing and a bump in the low-mids. Great if you want to play periphery or other modern stuff in that vein but the weird wah voicing doesn't work that well for other stuff imo. I've got a set of rags ordered so I'll let you know how they turn out.

That's what I keep seeing people say: the cocked-wah sound in the Juggs. I don't know if I'll dig or not, but the more I think about just playing lead stuff, and Vai'ish tunes and riffs the more I think I'll like the set. But, conventional wisdom says no, and you guys are right.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
NOTED! I have a green C-Bomb in it though and it looks cool. I do think the Ragnarok will suit me better than the Juggs. Especially in a 7, and I'd love to A/B them with the AV-Pig and C-Pig.

That's what I keep seeing people say: the cocked-wah sound in the Juggs. I don't know if I'll dig or not, but the more I think about just playing lead stuff, and Vai'ish tunes and riffs the more I think I'll like the set. But, conventional wisdom says no, and you guys are right.
The jugg neck pickup is quite nice and better suited to soloing imo. pretty fluid and articulate, though not as fluid as say the cold sweat neck. I desperately wanted to love the jugg bridge but it just isn't the kind of sound that I like, even though I really like periphery. If you really want the vai tone I'd say just grab an evo. Those fucking scream.

penguin_316

Reaction score
I played the Rags set in a buddies axe the other day. I loved them. I couldn't really fault them in any aspect. No strange quack to it like the Juggs, and seemed quite balanced overall. It doesn't sound sterile to my ears, sounds warmer and more organic. I give them two thumbs up for sure.

I played a bunch of random stuff on them and they handled all genres well, including leads. They can tackle some vai for sure, and even though they have higher output I still found they needed a boost. I wouldn't be intimidated by that "high output" label, as they still seemed like a fairly medium output to me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beavis2306

Lusts for gear
Reaction score
I played the Rags set in a buddies axe the other day. I loved them. I couldn't really fault them in any aspect. No strange quack to it like the Juggs, and seemed quite balanced overall.

Bottom end's ok? What sort of guitar did you play them in?

penguin_316

Reaction score
those are fine guitars if they aren't completely wrecked out of the box.

Not what I meant at all....

I meant that the guitar the pickups were installed in is irrelevant. Having build several and owned countless, wood is literally the last component to dictate how an electric guitar sounds.

Those ht6 pro series are decent for the money, and quite comfy. The stock pickups aren’t horrendous either, I found them pretty musical for stock pickups.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
Not what I meant at all....

I meant that the guitar the pickups were installed in is irrelevant. Having build several and owned countless, wood is literally the last component to dictate how an electric guitar sounds.

Those ht6 pro series are decent for the money, and quite comfy. The stock pickups aren’t horrendous either, I found them pretty musical for stock pickups.

those tone wood guys are just so angry.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Recently found this video. Good demonstration of the Rags in a slightly different musical context than what we normally see them in.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
So I'm pretty sure my set was defective. I rewired em 2 times and they sound weak as hell. Never had this problem with BKP before. I maxed my gain on my kemper, tried em through my boogie and they sounded super weak too. BKP support was no help. This is with the pickups basically touching the strings and with a fair amount of gain through my boogie:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzq3xlk5wut5p91/20171219_073151.mp4?dl=0

HerbalDude420

Reaction score
^ Something is definitely wrong with them did they not test them before they sent those out. It barely produces any sound.

Matt08642

Reaction score
Recently found this video. Good demonstration of the Rags in a slightly different musical context than what we normally see them in.

That was really refreshing to hear (instead of another low string djent demo)

oneblackened

Tube Amp Dork
Reaction score

I'm pretty impressed with the demo here. I wonder how he dialed his tone because it's fairly dark, but in a good way.

cmtd

Reaction score
I got a set of these recently to put in my Skervesen, at the suggestion of @zimbloth at the Axe Palace. I think this is the 4th set of BKP's I've bought from him and his recommendations continue to be right on the mark.

I replaced the A-bomb and VHII set that were in the guitar with Ragnaroks. I loved the VHII, but the A-bomb just sounded muddy or like the presence control was rolled back on the amp. I have always found the C-pig to be my favorite bridge BKP from what I have tried from the lineup, and wanted to move in that direction.

I have C-pigs in my PRS. When compared to the Ragnarok, it is in the tonal realm of the warpig. I find it still gets that thick heavy gain sound and higher output feel. The bass is slightly backed off so it sounds a bit tighter, and the high end is slightly less harsh. The Ragnaroks handle coil splits better imo and have a better low gain tone. High gain riffing, it's a toss up. They are similar, just a slightly smoother, more refined sound with the Ragnaroks to my ears. I like them both.

Compared to the Juggernaut set in my Jackson HT6 the Ragnaroks are certainly more aggressive and have a higher output pickup feel (as they are). The Juggernauts are a tighter pickup, and so far have been the king in the BKP range with handling clean, coil split sounds amongst the models I have tried. I do prefer the Ragnaroks for the high gain riff type stuff. I'm not a "djenty" player so this is personal preference.

I got a much brighter sound in my Skervesen over the A-bomb. Much clearer, and a more present pickup. The Rags do well with coil splits and low/mid gain tones in the guitar. I still think I prefer the VHII slightly in the neck, however the Rag set compliments itself very well, so I don't plan on switching back. I would say if you are a Warpig fan, these are worth checking out.

KnightBrolaire

Reaction score
my 2nd set of ragnaroks were alright, but nothing like the c-pig as far as I'm concerned, more like a modded juggernaut ime. I don't know if I somehow got 2 defective pickups in a row or what but they were nowhere near as high output feeling as the c-pig or the other pickups I've tested so far.
does your bridge pup kind of sound like this @cmtd ? I had to really dig in with the pick and pump a ton of gain through the pickup to get it to distort.

teqnick

The only person that liked the new Faceless album
Reaction score
The ragnarok in my mayones definitely felt like a more polished warpig. It has a very forward mid presence,but rolls off a tad in the high end. The bottom is tighter, and little bit more clarity with big chords. I didn't like the ragnarok neck at all, nor did i find its split coil sounds as good as the pig.

Latest posts