New Build - Heretic Paradigm 6

• Thread starter HaMMerHeD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
So I took this afternoon of from work (because I felt like it) and I used some of that time working on this guy.

100_body_neck.jpg

I sanded the dye back so that, when I re-apply it, the grain lines will be darker. I did the same thing with this blue guy:blueguy.jpg

And I think it worked pretty well.

Also the neck is sanded and ready for seal/dye/spraying (or will be, as soon as I go get some acetone and scrub off the super glue).

(Also, I got a new phone, so the photos are a bit better. Yay.)

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
So right now the body weighs 1395 grams, and the neck weighs 1175 grams.

For mah fellow amuricans, that's 3 pounds, 1 ounce for the body 2lbs, 9 ounces for the neck.

So, without hardware, we're looking at 5lbs, 10 ounces, or about 2.5 kg.

The blue one, fully assembled as it sits right now, weighs 4.071kg, which is about 9lbs. So there's that. (It's made from regular hard, heavy northern White ash, so I expect the 6 string will be...maybe a little lighter? About the same? I don't know. We'll see I guess.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint! It was always going to be that deep Royal Purple.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Time for a seal coat...

103_sealer.jpg

I'll apply it with a foam brush, then level sand and apply again.

The neck will get the same thing, and the sealer is how I'll keep the purple dye from staining the back of the headstock.

Hopefully.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
So...the sealer fucked up my color. Dissolved the dye and made it run.

104_sealer_body.jpg

Or rather, I fucked up the color with the sealer.

Dumb thing to do. I should have anticipated it. So...imma strip it down to bare wood, redo the dye, and spray the clearcoat directly on, no sealer. (The neck will still need a sealer...more on that later.)

Super fun times.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Yeah its really not a huge deal. Just a brief setback. I should have realized that shellac dissolved in alcohol was going to mess with my color. C'est la vie.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
alcohol+ alcohol based dyes =bad day. I did the same thing on my strandberg refinish and had to sand off the shellac.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
I am way beyond ready to be done with this fucking bass. So today I finished sanding all the shit off.

106_done_sanding.jpg

Or at least as much as I care to.

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
So I just went in to start spraying more clear coats, and noticed this.

111_fuck_this.jpg

So....I think I'm done with this stupid fucking project. I would rather burn the whole thing than sand that shit back off A-FUCKING-GAIN.

Latest posts