New Custom 6'er in the Works! (Redwood/Limba whhaaaaaaa)

• Thread starter Watty
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
All,

More pron for your viewing pleasure. As was mentioned in my other thread, this build is going to be using some choice woods, but we'll get to that in a minute. To the disclaimer first:

This is a semi-copy build. I love Vik's Duality shape, ain't no two ways about it. Seeing as how he's tentatively closed his waiting list (let alone how long it is now), Tyler Robbins, who was recommended by another forum-ite, agreed to build one provided we changed other design cues. To acquiesce to this request, I'll be using the headstock that I designed for my BlackWater build as well as a custom neck profile to differentiate it from the real thing. That said, let's keep the negativity associated with "copy-building" to a minimum (or nil) if at all possible. Please note that Tyler's not taking orders for any more guitars until late this year, just in case you like what you see; also note that this shape is probably not a regular thing as I had to sweet talk him a bit. :fawk:

Now that that's out of the way, onto specs:

Curly Redwood top
Black Limba Body
Rosewood Neck
Ebony Fingerboard
Ebony Binding (body)
Redwood Binding (neck and headstock)
Schaller Hannes Bridge
Bareknuckle Pickups (NB or BH)
25.5", SS Frets, etc.

Got some cool ideas on the binding orientation, especially when it comes to doing some side block inlays for the fingerboard. You'll just have to wait and see how they end up, but suffice it to say it should look phenomenal. Going with a deep brown stain on all the redwood bits to contrast the limba and ebony tones; will end up being a very "dark" looking guitar, hopefully with a sound profile to match.

Preliminary Pictures (of the likely top and body orientations):

987efb76-68d4-4562-8773-9ba259903f68_zps4c2d12c9.jpg

eb137dc0-8f75-4ab7-87b9-b44de0aea71d_zps16fb3cb0.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Annnnnndddddd hardware ordered. This is getting a Nailbomb in the bridge and a VHII in the neck.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
His full name's in the OP? There isn't a whole lot of his work out there yet, but everyone's got to start somewhere.

I think he was asking about his past history of building guitars. If he doesn't have an established name, it doesn't help us learn about him. Why did you choose him over other builders?

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
His full name's in the OP? There isn't a whole lot of his work out there yet, but everyone's got to start somewhere.

Tyler Robbins, who was recommended by another forum-ite

I read that first paragraph like 3 times looking for the info in that sentence :noplease:

I wanted to know if he was a forum builder or had a company, if so whats his company, etc. but looks like hes a forum builder :lol:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
I wanted to know if he was a forum builder or had a company, if so whats his company, etc. but looks like hes a forum builder :lol:

Touche.

Anyways, a google search will bring up his website (pretty pro if you ask me) which showcases a very interesting nautically themed guitar he built. I think there's a small "build" thread somewhere on the web showing off some of his previous work, but yeah, he's fairly small right now. The forumite who recommended him had nothing but good things to say and his pricing was pretty reasonable (actually ridiculously so before my build), so I figured I'd give him a shot. He's been nothing but responsive and interested in making this work out well for both of us, so I'm thinking this is going to end up really well.

I chose to work it out with him after the recommendation and a few emails back and forth. I think it's cool that he's a younger guy making this career work for him, which is something I wish I could convince myself to do. That said, I suppose there's a measure of living the luthier life vicariously through the build process with someone of a similar mind. :lol:

Watty

Naturally Cynical
Reaction score
Progress already? Check. New grain pattern emerged during thicknessing. Here's the "new" rear of the guitar.

IMG_1306_zpscfb80c35.jpg