New Cynic - Ascension Codes - Mythical Serpents

BeyonThe7thSeal

Reaction score
I don’t know quite how I feel about it yet. On one hand it’s definitely modern Cynic, which is great, yet I think I enjoyed the track he released called Human or something a couple years back. Or maybe I was just expecting a little more guitar work at the forefront but I only listened once so far.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was in fear of more Aeon Spoke so I am considering this a win, if a little weird on the timing. Almost feels like the tribute was done exclusively to try to prevent heat for releasing new Cynic a couple days later.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

brector

Reaction score
A little weird seeing bass synth listed :(
Paul Masvidal – Guitars, Vocals, Lyrics
Dave Mackay - Bass Synthesizer, Keyboards
Matt Lynch - Drumscapes
Guest musician: Max Phelps - Holographic-reptilian-voices

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I hate the drums. Otherwise, it's better than expected.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Need a few more listens, but that was cool and I'm going to preorder the album.

Matt Lynch still hasn't figured out how to do Cynic drums.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Man those drums were flappy? Kinda reminded me of a card stuck in a bike wheel for parts.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
I did not dear to click first... but did anyway.

I think It is a good song, maybe mix is sometimes bit weird, vocal, kinda buried.

But I am positive surprised, any happy they do not try to sound like "old" cynic

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Vocals seem weird, too much of the high part of the effect and his voice-voice does seem buried

Dayn

Reaction score
Odd mix but I like it better than Carbon Based Anatomy and Kindly Bent to Free Us.

The vocals do seem buried but it's more like they're just another instrument in the layers of textures. ...But it does seem to lack punch to me. The fact that the credits are listed as 'drumscapes' and 'holographic-reptilian-voices' makes the vocals being just another layer a clear intentional choice.

I really like the idea, but I think the execution is like putting a blanket on it before releasing.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Is this a finished work? The drums sound completely disconnected from the rest of the instruments and overall everything sounds very demo-ish.

Song is cool, though. I dig it.

Also, I just saw Earthside has a new album thanks to Youtube suggestions. Fuck yes! :frantic:

slimefuzz

musical person
Reaction score
kind of OT, but if you want to hear some "disconnected drums" check out the last Kansas album.

p.s. I like Cynic

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I tried to like it but it's just not for me. And this is coming from someone who has kindly bent to free us as his number 1 cynic album.
I ordered KBTFU on vinyl along with this one because I bought the collector's edition at the time and I can't very well have Humanoid, TiA and Ascension Codes without it. I'm just glad to see another KBTFU fan.

Ataraxia2320

Reaction score
I ordered KBTFU on vinyl along with this one because I bought the collector's edition at the time and I can't very well have Humanoid, TiA and Ascension Codes without it. I'm just glad to see another KBTFU fan.

Yeah, I think my friends all think I'm a weirdo because I rate the cynic albums: KBTFU, Traced in Air, and then Focus.

Glad to know I am not the only person out there who thinks KBTFU is a whopper album :D.

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
Super excited for this. The loss of the two Seans is a massive tragedy, no doubt, but Paul is 100% my guy. I'm at least interested in anything he puts out. Love his songwriting, his voice, and he's probably my favorite soloist in metal.

My personal ranking of the albums would be Traced>Focus>Kindly Bent, but I honestly need to give KBtFU a fresh listen.

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score

preview of new song, must say sounds not to bed, starting to become curious for the album...

michael_bolton

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't know they had something in the works. both tracks ^^ are better than I thought they would be. A bit on the "simplistic" side maybe? Overall though will defo keep an eye on this.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I always liked Cynic in theory but never really listened to em... like the new one a lot. Drum sound is super tasty, even though it doesn't gel with the rest of the mix. Considering when this was recorded the disconnection is maybe because it was all done remotely? Transients are really sharp and punchy and maybe could be laid back a bit to suit the Cynic sound but ah well

Bass synth is smart and a superior option to an actual bass guitar

*flees the thread*