New Dimmu Borgir - Interdimensional Summit

• Thread starter Crundles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crundles

Reaction score
Just saw this pop up in my youtube recommendations:

I'm generally fond of Dimmu Borgir and symphonic/melo-black, I also really like Shagrath's vocals in general, but this is a bit, uh...

Anyways new album on the 4th of May, and the video itself isn't bad.

edit: Actually on re-watching the video, you can probably replace the second part of the above sentence with "could be worse"

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Dimmu Borgir was one of my intro to extreme metal bands. Back in like... 2013? I saw my first ever episode of Headbangers Ball (no cable at my house) with [Nile, LoG, Mastodon, and] Dimmu Borgir, the video for Progenies of the Great Apocalypse. Holy shit, I had never seen anything like that. 13 year old me ate it up quick. Went right out to the store and bought Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia... I really have no idea why I didn't get the album with the one song I knew :lol:

Anyhow, PEM is kinda the only worthwhile thing the band ever did, in my present-day opinion. I used to listen to all their cds, now I basically never listen to the band at all, but if I were, I know exactly which album to put on.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Some parts sound more like Therion and Nightwish than Dimmu. The main melody reminds me of Satyricon's KING. I quite like it but I'm a huge fan of the band.

I do find Dimmu's albums can be very hit or miss. I love Puritanical, Abrahadabra, Enthroned but don't really like In Sorte, Spiritual and Death Cult bar a few songs off each. The released Gateways as the first song of Abrahadabra which was met with very mixed opinions so the rest of the album might not sound like this.

Just checked wikipedia and saw its been 8 years since Abrahdabra!!! :flame:

KailM

Reaction score
Meh. Very cheesy just like Gateways and Abrahadabrah. It's like the harder they try to be epic symphonic black metal, the harder they fail. It could just be the pagentry and absurd posturing I saw in the video that left a bad taste in my mouth, but the music just didn't do much for me either. Waaaay too clean and produced.

I got into them when Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and Spiritual Black Dimensions came out and realized later that those were the high marks for this band. PEM has some good songs and the production is awesome but by that time they were already delving closer into what I consider excessive imagery and clownishness.

My $.02, your opinion might differ.

Crundles

Reaction score
I don't mind cheesy - I absolutely adore things like Powerwolf and Ghost, however this song is kind of ... weak? Sounds like slightly mediocre sympho/power metal, and the intro is by far the best part.

My favourite song of theirs is Progenies, so I just took another listen at it, and it has a lot more energy, better sound, and is definitely less generic.

Could be that they released the most "radio-friendly" song first?

Also damn, I had forgotten how much I enjoy Progenies. I'm a sucker for epic atmosphere regardless of the genre.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
They are a tired band and have no real identify anymore. At one time they released great majestic and epic black metal and each album was unique. Anymore its just par for the course symphonic metal that you could hear anywhere and completely bland. It's interesting in all their interviews how they said this album was more of a throwback than their previous albums to the old days (more black metal) but as others have mentioned you might as well put a female singer up front and call it any other Nightwish/symphonic band. None of that is present here.

They haven't released anything good since DCA.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I've onbly recently started listening to dimmu so my opinion may be kinds moot, but it was not what i expected.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
It's a mystery to me how this band, of all of the Norwegian bands that popped up around the same time, overcame their abysmal first few releases and that one infamous Shagrath interview to became this super successful metal band. Perseverance is more important than consistent quality I guess. Listen to Fimbulwinter instead.

Last edited:

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I dug the song, but holy shit I want to punch the one guitarist in the face repeatedly. The annoying douche with the Jackson, that guy makes incredibly obnoxious faces. Pretty much completely ruined the video.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I dug the song, but holy shit I want to punch the one guitarist in the face repeatedly. The annoying douche with the Jackson, that guy makes incredibly obnoxious faces. Pretty much completely ruined the video.
The charms of Galder don't do it for you? He's been making those faces with Dimmu Borgir for 18 years now. He's a solid riff writer when he wants to be, but apparently he hasn't wanted to be since he stopped writing for his solo project Old Man's Child, so all that's left are the faces.

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
:barf:

The song itself sounds like it was written by a drunk David Guetta, the video looks like something even Michael Bay would discard and Galder's antics is like seeing Krusty in one of his comeback-shows.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
8 years, and that's the diarrhea they release? Should've just retired. Prefer Old Man's Child anyways, which by the way, needs to release an album already.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
It's a mystery to me how this band, of all of the Norwegian bands that popped up around the same time, overcame their abysmal first few releases and that one infamous Shagrath interview to became this super successful metal band. Perseverance is more important than consistent quality I guess. Listen to Fimbulwinter instead.
What Shagrath interview?

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
This song sucks. I hated Gateways initially, but the pay off part that's all blast is great enough to make the cheese worth it. And Dimmu is super cheesy, but this has no pay off.
Also, Galder can make dumb faces, Old Man's Child gives him credit. I was also going to say he deserves some extra space since he's like 50 something now and still having to sell himself to Hot Topic kids.... but then I Googled it. He's 41. Three years older than me. Black metal's uncle is really not that old.
DB does a lot of dumb things, but they're excusable as long as it sounds good. This doesn't sound good. Makes me wonder what the lyrics are. Gateways has a gem line: "the light that shines in darkness" which is exactly what a light is. 8 years later, can they top it? I do believe so.

wankerness

Reaction score
Dimmu Borgir was one of my intro to extreme metal bands. Back in like... 2013? I saw my first ever episode of Headbangers Ball (no cable at my house) with [Nile, LoG, Mastodon, and] Dimmu Borgir, the video for Progenies of the Great Apocalypse. Holy shit, I had never seen anything like that. 13 year old me ate it up quick. Went right out to the store and bought Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia... I really have no idea why I didn't get the album with the one song I knew :lol:

Anyhow, PEM is kinda the only worthwhile thing the band ever did, in my present-day opinion. I used to listen to all their cds, now I basically never listen to the band at all, but if I were, I know exactly which album to put on.

I got that album back when it was brand new and liked a few songs on it. I also had the one generally referred to as influential/important, "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant." That one has a couple pretty good songs on it. The Mourning Palace and In Death's Embrace are the two I remember, anyway. Stormblast was the only album of theirs that didn't get laughed at by most semi-snotty metal dudes on message boards back then. I have never heard it, nor the remake (which I'm guessing just makes it slick and ruins it).

I remember my friends seeing the cover of PEM and going I HATE THIS AND THE FACT YOU BOUGHT THIS MAKES ME MAD. That's actually kind of an appropriate response to album art that childishly offensive, haha.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I miss Vortex and Mustis. They added so much to this band. I thought Purtitanical Euphoric Misanthrope was a really good album. After that they had selected songs I like but never the whole album

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score

2003* :lol: wow...

Also I was kinda harsh before. Their other stuff is worthwhile, I just personally like PEM best.

Last edited: