New fan fret 8 string build!

• Thread starter Serratus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Serratus

Reaction score
Hahaha, you do realise it's not gonna stay that thick, right? LOL

Anyway, here's a pic from the front which shows the fan better :)

Pic17_zps77aa6c51.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Obstsalat

Reaction score
i see you have ball-end frets. how'd you make them?
do you install and then file them or do you trim + round'em up before you put them in?

cuz i tried the first method and destroyed a fretboard with that

Serratus

Reaction score
i see you have ball-end frets. how'd you make them?
do you install and then file them or do you trim + round'em up before you put them in?

cuz i tried the first method and destroyed a fretboard with that

I do each fret first. So I use a micrometer to measure the width of the fret slot, cut the fret to that length, file the ball-ends, then install the fret. Takes ages but it feels really nice, and its so nice knowing that there's no more work needed on the fret ends once they're in :)

vansinn

Reaction score
Interesting concepts, will follow.
I like your extended extra note tech solution; like many, I also have been thinking in such direction, though more for bass.

electriceye

Reaction score
Nice! I think chambering it would be a great idea anyway. Bet it will be much more resonant. Can't wait to see more!

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
I do each fret first. So I use a micrometer to measure the width of the fret slot, cut the fret to that length, file the ball-ends, then install the fret. Takes ages but it feels really nice, and its so nice knowing that there's no more work needed on the fret ends once they're in :)

That's cool man, I could understand the reasoning why you round them over before installing them. I never went further than just beveling the fret ends on necks I've built, too much chance to scratch up the wood after the frets are already in. I think I'm gonna try doing it this way on my next build, I don't think I'd mind if it takes longer, I'd rather it be done right than done quick.

superash

Reaction score
This build is looking fat (not just because of the neck :p).

Keep up the good work!

Serratus

Reaction score
Got the neck roughly shaped. Needs a bit more work to smooth out all the curves but it's not too far from being done. 21mm at the first fret to 22mm at fret 14.

Pic%2018_zpsise6ht2x.jpg

Pic%2019_zpsnpsjb5sy.jpg

Serratus

Reaction score
Weight relief in the one piece wenge back, and the electronics cavity (and wire channel to the pickup) cut.
Pic%2020_zpsgm0csneh.jpg

Got the top glued onto the back, and did just a rough mock up (there's no routing done yet - the neck and bridge are just sat on the top). Obviously none of the body woods are cut down to size yet - you can just see the body outline drawn on the top.
Pic%2021_zpscplyjven.jpg

Serratus

Reaction score
Hah, I will try to play them all!!!lol

I do love the mock up picture - the outline of the top looks like a childs drawing of a guitar!! Looking forward to getting it cut out properly ;)

Serratus

Reaction score
Got the neck and pickup routs done, the control cavity and cover, and the neck and string holes and ferrules done. All needs cleaning up yet, and then it's on to cutting it out!

Pic%2022_zpsqjd6i4ab.jpg

Pic%2023_zpsf1wz1cdg.jpg

Pic%2024_zpsmaycicdt.jpg

Serratus

Reaction score
Got the body cut out and roughly shaped - lots of sanding to do now!! Sorry its a rubbish pic but gives you an idea of what it will look like:

Pic%2025_zpsitrpsxkn.jpg

immortalx

Reaction score
Such fantastic work, especially the ball end frets!

Serratus

Reaction score
Got the body pretty much finished, and started oiling it - the figure of the top really popped when the first coat of oil went on!

Pic%2026_zpsgksqkjvr.jpg

Pic%2027_zpspafr8y4s.jpg

Pic%2028_zps9egklhbt.jpg

Pic%2029_zpsnmvr9eis.jpg

Pic%2030_zpsx8kskdas.jpg

Pic%2031_zpscgcj7deg.jpg