New guitar choicing: agile vs schecter.

AStarlitNathan

ss.org Spammer
Reaction score
Finally got the money to get a new (err, first) 7. And with my budget and options in mind I've narrowed it down to either a used Schecter Black Jack ATX C-7 FR (in white satin) or an Agile Interceptor pro 727 (in natural satin)

I've always been an ESP/LTD loyalist, but I'm not really a fan of the Stephen Carpenter sig's nor the H-307's (if they had an extended scale, maybe...or atleast the in-line headstock...if only I could find an old red MH-307) so sadly they were out of the race for me.

Anyway, I've had limited experience with both companies. Always been biased against Schecter because they seem a bit overpriced, and the old Black Jack c-6 I had years ago (before I really knew what I wanted) always had electronic issues, but my room mates c-8 seems pretty nice... and the c-7 is in my price range.

My band mate has an Agile intercptor 727 as well, and I dig it. But I've always heard that Agile has no quality control, so I'm a bit weary.

I plan on replacing the pickups with Bare Knuckles down the road, regardless.

I'm completely neutral and need some nudging in one direction. plzhelpkthx.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the new Schecter SLS series.

One thing to consider with Agile though is longer scale profiles. Something like a 728 has a 28.6(?) scale length, which is fucking awesome imho.

broj15

Reaction score
I have never played an agile, but I have played the schecter (hardtail version, not the fr) and I was pleased. It played good, but it didn't really wow me. I wish it did because I was able to get some really nice tones out of it.

Since you live in the US don't worry about getting a dud from Agile. Their return policy is pretty solid for domestic customers.

AStarlitNathan

ss.org Spammer
Reaction score
Yeah, one of the factors is scale length. I play in Dropped G so a longer scale length would be nice, so I think the 26.5" on the Schecter will be an easier transition from my 25.5" compared to the 27" on the Agile.

And I figured I would like the Schecter more because of the whole same company, similar feels thing. But I really nice Charvel a few weeks ago that had a thinner neck than my MH, and I liked it. I don't like Ibanez's thinness, but the charvel had a nice thin, but round feel I loved... so I may lean toward the Agile neck. Bah. I'm in like... guitar puberty right now haha.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
Stay away from the SLS series then: they sport necks thin enough to be worthy of Ibanez ;)

otisct20

Reaction score
Whitechapel sigs maybe? That is if you are ok with standard scale. Or the MH-417 (standard scale) but slightly thicker string will fix that and mine plays like a dream and sounds brutal as fuck. I personally didnt care for the agile I played while I love my friends Schecter C7 Custom.

Reaction score
If you like ltd, pick a h-1007 or if it's out of your budget a mh-407, mahogany neckthru.

Between agile and schecter having played both quite a lot, you get more with d agile, more options and better value, the necks are closer to d thin U Esp uses.
(not gonna take another hit at schecter's necks)

Dooky

Reaction score
I've owned a Schecter BlackJack C7 for about 6 years now (It's the 2006 model with Duncans), and I enjoyed playing it for all the years I've had it, but just recently I got it set-up professionally and now I am loving it! It was set-up reasonably well before, although I knew it could be better, but now it feels like a whole new guitar to me. Great guitar imo.

otisct20

Reaction score
Strange, the agile I played had a much rounder feeling neck than either my ltd or the c7 custom my friend owns. The schecter neck feels much closer to the thin u than the agile does .

danresn

Reaction score
If you liked the neck profile on the chervil then you might look into a Jackson seven. I found them my favourite. Anyway I think both Agile and Schecter will provide similar quality, good solid guitars, but certainly not amazing brilliant things that will make you never want to put them down.

AStarlitNathan

ss.org Spammer
Reaction score
The H-1007 is a bit out of my price range (and I hate hate the new headstocks, and I wasn't really a fan of the Whitechapel sigs either.), as is the Jackson. I'm on the hunt for a used one though. I may end up saving my money and getting a custom Carvin haha.

texshred777

Reaction score
The H-1007 is a bit out of my price range (and I hate hate the new headstocks, and I wasn't really a fan of the Whitechapel sigs either.), as is the Jackson. I'm on the hunt for a used one though. I may end up saving my money and getting a custom Carvin haha.

If the Carvin suits your fancy(or you really think it will)-save up and get one. If you don't like it, you can return it. You could also find a used Carvin with similar specs to what you want and save cash(and not get hit with a huge loss if you sell later on).

I wouldn't settle for something, though. Save up and get what you want-whether it's a Carvin, an ESP, whatever.

kengtin

Reaction score
If the Carvin suits your fancy(or you really think it will)-save up and get one. If you don't like it, you can return it. You could also find a used Carvin with similar specs to what you want and save cash(and not get hit with a huge loss if you sell later on).

I wouldn't settle for something, though. Save up and get what you want-whether it's a Carvin, an ESP, whatever.

I second the Carvin thoughts, why? Because:

1.- I don't own an Agile but owners in this forum agree Carvin has a better quality.
2.- I own a Schecter Blackjack ATX C7 and, while it's OK, there's something about it that doesn't quite convince me (too bulky/chunky and the looks never really appealed to me, I got it as my first/test 7-string). The SLS might be much better though.
3.- The price difference between the Schecter for example and a custom Carvin (minimalistic of course) might not be "that" much.

Good luck

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
I second the Carvin thoughts, why? Because:

1.- I don't own an Agile but owners in this forum agree Carvin has a better quality.
2.- I own a Schecter Blackjack ATX C7 and, while it's OK, there's something about it that doesn't quite convince me (too bulky/chunky and the looks never really appealed to me, I got it as my first/test 7-string). The SLS might be much better though.
3.- The price difference between the Schecter for example and a custom Carvin (minimalistic of course) might not be "that" much.

Good luck

Schecter SLS is much nicer, but like I said, shred-neck worthy.

AStarlitNathan

ss.org Spammer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm thinking of saving for either an Agile or Carvin Custom.

The only only only thing that is going against Carvin for me is the lack of baritone scale options (and binding.) That and I want to put in some Aftermaths later, and I hear putting in after market pickups on a Carvin is only viable if you have a Luthier friend around...

But... dat build quality. I'm sure it's amazing.