New guitar choicing: agile vs schecter.

otisct20

Reaction score
Carvin custom will still have better quality, only down side is a pickup swap for thebridge pup. Id just save for the carvin.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

supercolio

Super-spy
Reaction score
My friend Sirppi has an Agile 8-string which plays nicely, and feels rock solid. I like Schecter's looks though. I think it comes down how they feel in your hands.

maowcat

Reaction score
The blackjack atx is a good solid guitar imo, bought one a couple years ago and it's still my main guitar today. Only complaint is it can get heavy if you have back problems, besides that you get what you pay for. The sustain is ridiculous, tuning stability is great and the pickups are easily some of the best actives out there. I highly recommend it to anyone, just make sure you set it up if it isn't already, mine came factory setup and the frets buzzed like crazy.

Discoqueen

Dang tootin
Reaction score
I had a blackjack atx 8, chestnut satin, and I loved the thing. IMO the atx models are great! I was an idiot to sell

teamSKDM

Reaction score
i personally prefer and agile pro, over any schecter except like maybe a loomis. having experiences with both. i say go agile. they feel, and look better. and neck thru> set neck.

Iron Beard

Reaction score
i would go with the agile. i love mine and also if your going to change the pickups the schecter has the oversized active duncan pickups in it so you will either have a gap around the pickup or have to get pickup covers.

space frog

Reaction score
The Schecter Blackjack ATX C7 is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.. one of the best factory 7s I've played with the ibby RGD2127Z (that's the model iirc lol), while I totally HATED the Loomis model.. dunno why lol, just didnt feel good..

I've always wanted and Interceptor pro 7 string guitar but I feel like you'd have a better guitar with the Schecter, even the the Agiles are good guitars. I've had and Intrepid 8 stringer and it was a very good guitar, though 28.625" was waaayy too big for my tuning :lol:

Toxic Dover

Reaction score
I've never had a chance to play the Schecter 8's, but I've owned two Agiles - a 727 Pro and currently my 828 Intrepid, and have been very satisfied with both... The scale length would make the decision for me, though. I put my Interceptor 727 in F standard a couple times and wasn't entirely happy with the tension... The 28 5/8" scale on the Intrepid is PERFECT (IMO) tension wise and isn't horribly difficult to get used to, unless you try to do 5-fret chord stretches on the first 1/4 of the neck or something :lol:

raximkoron

Reaction score
I own two 7-string guitars. First is an OLD Schecter C-7 (made somewhere in the mid-90's, don't remember the serial number off the top of my head). And the 2nd, more recent acquisition is an Agile Septor Elite 727.

First thing I'd say is the Agile certainly is composed of a lighter wood. the ol' C-7 is at least a pound heavier if not more. With the two models, I'd give playability to the Agile, due to its neck-through with small heel compared to the steel brick that accompanies the Schecter's bolt-on. Both of the neck's are on the thick side though, nothing Ibanez Wizard-like about them at all.

The Schecter feels like a beast though, and has taken quite a beating over the years with minimal effect. The Agile feels a bit dainty and delicate in that regard, though I haven't put the Agile through years of road work.

It took Schecter a bit of a growing in period when the moved their production from South Korea to Indonesia, but from what I hear, that's been sorted out. To be honest, I haven't played many newer Schecters, but they seem to be rather consistent in their quality and feel.

Only negative thing I'd say about my Agile, is that over the year that I've had it, I've somehow worn out the nut and have lost the ability to use lower register frets (1-4) on most strings as a result. At least it's a cheap part that can be easily replaced/upgraded to something more durable. It's the only part on the guitar that isn't a name brand part (Hipshot bridge, Grover tuners, SD Blackout pickups, etc.). Oh, and the battery housing clip broke; not a big deal. Kind of annoying to have something important fail on a guitar inside the first year of ownership, but I'm sure it's where my difficulties will end.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I've never really liked any of the Schecters I've tried, but I have yet to try any of their newest stuff... I imagine they read the internet too and may or may not have taken certain gripes (rumors?) into consideration.

However, I REALLY like Agile despite the stigma behind them being cheap instruments. That said, I also really enjoy 27" scale instruments so everything in me is saying go for the Interceptor and be prepared to change pickups.

Also... Don't buy into the neck construction hype. Get what you like. I like multi-laminate neckthrus because they look nice. That's literally it.

moeligerent

Reaction score
Ive only played the schecters, and they are a very nice instrument at that price point. I personally own an older Hellraiser C-7 with the EMG707s and fucking love it, not as much as my Ibby, but it plays awesome none the less. I own an original C-1 classic and that has been my go to 6 string for years.

Corrosion

RooR
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's set, bolt or thru if the heel still is bad, imo. Having owned all types, I'd say I lean towards thru or bolt, as many set guita'rs heels did not mesh with what I wanted.

As far as the whole seven debate, I'd throw out the idea of shopping around in your area on CL and trying a few to get a baseline of the sort of specs you like, if no shops in your area will stock reasonably. I have played guitars(very few agiles) from Ibanez, esp/ltd/, schecter, fender, gibson... blahzblah... and they all have good and bad points. As far as sevens go, Ibbys or ESP's, unless you know you want carvin. Agile seems good, but still a little expensive for what you get out of the guitar sometimes. Schecter is a, well, I have no plans of ever owning one based on everything I have seen from them to date.

You'll likely have an easier time chaning the pickups if you also plan ahead and try to find a guitar with a similar route as the upgrades will be. This process can be a bitch.

Philipino425

Reaction score
Between the 2, Schecter hands down.

I, personally, highly recommend getting ANYTHING besides an Agile. I had 2 of the same model sent to me, a d both had serious intonation/action issues.

My 2cents, don't waste your time with Agile. From what I've heard the older ones were great, but the ones being sold now suck some major dick and are not worth paying $600-900 for.

Sure the return policy is great, but why even risk it. Fuck agile 7's.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Between the 2, Schecter hands down.

I, personally, highly recommend getting ANYTHING besides an Agile. I had 2 of the same model sent to me, a d both had serious intonation/action issues.

My 2cents, don't waste your time with Agile. From what I've heard the older ones were great, but the ones being sold now suck some major dick and are not worth paying $600-900 for.

Sure the return policy is great, but why even risk it. Fuck agile 7's.

You've posted in three threads, all of your posts are just trying to tear Rondo/Agile down. We get it.

OP: Depends on preference, I've never gotten along with Schecter necks and I adjusted to my Agile necks very quickly after playing Ibanez for 7 years.

J7string

Reaction score
I'm a Schecter loyalist. I've danced with the thought of getting an Agile... but I don't trust them. What I've seen come from them is 50/50 pos neg reviews. I don't trust that one bit.

Go for the Schecter. None of the guitars I've owned were crappy in anyway and played great.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
You've posted in three threads, all of your posts are just trying to tear Rondo/Agile down. We get it.

OP: Depends on preference, I've never gotten along with Schecter necks and I adjusted to my Agile necks very quickly after playing Ibanez for 7 years.

*whisper*

Pssst! He works for Schecter. :rofl:

J7string

Reaction score
Why? The Loomises are basically the same as any other production model Schecter. Because, you know, they're production models.

Wrong... The Schecter Jeff Loomis 7 FR/NT/6/VFR/VNT/V6... etc... Are not the same as any production model Schecter. Jeff Loomis said himself when he sat down with Schecter, he wanted a stripped down version of a Hellraiser, because that's what he played before he was asked if he wanted a signature model.

Aside from the general aesthetics, like shape and neck joint... it is completely different beast than the Hellraiser. I know this because I used to own a Hellraiser.

Latest posts