New Javier Reyes LTD strat

• Thread starter StevenC
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
Prices have increased from a lot of manufacturers even before it hits distributors, let alone dealers

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Twenty five odd years ago we were paying $3000+ to gamble on some random builder to make us an 8-string with fairly boring specs and they usually didn't show up.

Now we're complaining when something cool like this is regularly available from a mainstream manufacturer for $2400.

:shrug:

I don't care that it's made in a big, automation heavy factory in South Korea vs. a big, automation heavy factory in Japan or Poland or the United States. It's cool. It's different. It's going to hopefully be reasonably easy to get, and if it's shitty I can just ship it back.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I think it's more about us Europeans "complaining" that we'd have to pay over $1k more for the same guitar compared to US.
Exactly. I'd love to pay $2400 for this. I am not excited about paying $3500. I was hoping after negotiating with a dealer to get this for around £2200 and honestly that seems a fair price for being in Europe.

Of course, in the good old days I bought an SG Special in the US for $600, when the same guitar cost $1500 here.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Exactly. I'd love to pay $2400 for this. I am not excited about paying $3500. I was hoping after negotiating with a dealer to get this for around £2200 and honestly that seems a fair price for being in Europe.

Of course, in the good old days I bought an SG Special in the US for $600, when the same guitar cost $1500 here.
If it makes you feel any better, I got a chest xray 2 months ago and just got my $1100 bill. We have cheaper guitars, you guys have health care. :lol:

The Blue Ghost

Direct Mount Pickup Enjoyer
Reaction score
Twenty five odd years ago we were paying $3000+ to gamble on some random builder to make us an 8-string with fairly boring specs and they usually didn't show up.

Now we're complaining when something cool like this is regularly available from a mainstream manufacturer for $2400.

:shrug:

I don't care that it's made in a big, automation heavy factory in South Korea vs. a big, automation heavy factory in Japan or Poland or the United States. It's cool. It's different. It's going to hopefully be reasonably easy to get, and if it's shitty I can just ship it back.
The south Korea made stuff has been advertised as low to mid budget since builders started using WMI. You compromise a bit in overall quality to get a seemingly good instrument with better specs than a budget one but not as high end as a typical japanese or American made instrument (say for example Ibanez Prestige vs Iron Label). WMI do new shapes all the time but not Floyds on 8s regularly so I can see how that makes this a more costly instrument to produce. On top of that a cut is going to Javier and overall there's a raise in cost to produce and inflation across the world. However this price is ridiculous in my opinion and if we justify it as consumers soon all brands will follow suit. Strandberg has been getting critique from day one for their imports prices vs the quality you get and they're a smaller company with more unconventional specs all round.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The south Korea made stuff has been advertised as low to mid budget since builders started using WMI. You compromise a bit in overall quality to get a seemingly good instrument with better specs than a budget one but not as high end as a typical japanese or American made instrument (say for example Ibanez Prestige vs Iron Label). WMI do new shapes all the time but not Floyds on 8s regularly so I can see how that makes this a more costly instrument to produce. On top of that a cut is going to Javier and overall there's a raise in cost to produce and inflation across the world. However this price is ridiculous in my opinion and if we justify it as consumers soon all brands will follow suit. Strandberg has been getting critique from day one for their imports prices vs the quality you get and they're a smaller company with more unconventional specs all round.

Specs don't really have a linear relationship to pricing when building at scale and sourcing at wholesale rates, not to mention all the stuff prepared and made in-house. We're talking literal pennies on the dollar vs. MAP retail on hardware and pickups.

But the number of units produced does.

This is a niche instrument, and will be produced as such, so ESP can't negotiate as low a per unit price, which then flows forward in the supply chain. So fewer made, fewer sold, fewer ordered fewer savings passed down.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better, I got a chest xray 2 months ago and just got my $1100 bill. We have cheaper guitars, you guys have health care. :lol:
Last year I had a tooth infection and had to go to the ER and was uninsured but needed antibiotics and my dentist told me to go. I get there and they ask me if I want a shot for the pain, I said fuck yeah I do. So they shoot me up, and about 15 (literally 15 minutes) later I start to feel everything again. I don't think much of it other than "damn, I guess at least I got 15 minutes of relief".

That shot was $1098. Not the entire visit, that was $1609. The shot itself cost $1098.

:(

Matt08642

Reaction score
and if it's shitty I can just ship it back.

Typically only a luxury with US buyers unfortunately :( As a Canadian, I'd generally have to at least pay for the initial shipping (which for a guitar can be $100+) and return shipping (including packing it myself, and assuming risk if it gets blown apart in return shipping) which can also be a lot of money. I believe there's a way to get duties back as well, but that's a god knows when type process as in "Submit the forms and god knows when you'll get your money back" lol.

I agree with this though:

This whole thread (from what I recall) was people drooling over this for like a year, then they release it and everyone's like "Hold up I thought it would be $799 and made at WMI Korea via a time machine to 2009? Well, I'm certainly never buying this piece of shit"

Basically the reason brands don't risk much. Everyone says yes until they find out it won't be <$1000 lol. Hell, I paid like $2000 Canadian for my M80M (after shipping, duties, etc) back when the dollar was closer to the US dollar and the only unique thing it has going for it is the scale length, otherwise it's a slab :lol: At least this model has some cool shit like a good trem, interesting pickups, 22 frets so the neck single will sound more authentically "Stratty" I suppose, a unique color (not black or edgy in some way like Burl), etc.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Last year I had a tooth infection and had to go to the ER and was uninsured but needed antibiotics and my dentist told me to go. I get there and they ask me if I want a shot for the pain, I said fuck yeah I do. So they shoot me up, and about 15 (literally 15 minutes) later I start to feel everything again. I don't think much of it other than "damn, I guess at least I got 15 minutes of relief".

That shot was $1098. Not the entire visit, that was $1609. The shot itself cost $1098.

:(
Last time I took a kid to the ER, the doctor sent a bill, the technician sent a bill, and the hospital sent a bill. All separate.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Last time I took a kid to the ER, the doctor sent a bill, the technician sent a bill, and the hospital sent a bill. All separate.
Same. My daughter went to the ER, and kept getting bills from different places, months later, and “explanation of benefit” forms, which A) didn’t explain shit, and B) weren’t “benefits” as I had to pay. I got sent to collections with one of the docs, because I thought I had paid it. There was the hospital bill, the doctor in the hospital, another doctor unaffiliated with the hospital, but worth it there, and a procedure from the hospital.

I’m gonna buy it his guitar, too. I’m going to wait til it actually hits the stores, though.

Latest posts