New Limited Edition PRS Tremonti Baritone

• Thread starter The 1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wizard of Ozz

Arch-Mage of Metal
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I believe the SC250 was a 25" scale singlecut, just like the SC245 was a 24.5" scale. What makes this unique is that it's one of two production PRS they've built with 25.5" scale now.

You're spot on about the specs... The SC250 was a 25" scale length... I was just commenting on the looks. I really dig it. :cool:

I especially like the all in one bridge and tailpiece. Might actually try to hunt one of these when they come out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ManOnTheEdge

Reaction score
Being super pedantic but; Baritone is a musical range, having it as the moniker for any guitar is purely for marketing purposes for a company to say "we have designed this guitar for the purpose of being used in said range"

But guitar companies have misnamed things for ages (see "tremolo bar" rather than vibrato)

I wish I had the funds for this though; Maple Necked 25.5" scale singelcut = win for me

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Interesting. I suspect it either means they're giving up on it or theyre releasing another SE7, like maybe a single cut. But I can hope for a US production guitar that isn't an outrageous upcharge.

I don't see why they would give up, they got pretty good sales for their SE7 range no ?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I don't see why they would give up, they got pretty good sales for their SE7 range no ?

On the contrary, I think they really didn;t sell that well the passed year or two. I barely saw anyone with one.

I mean, I can be wrong, but yeah, Philip McKnight on Youtube, whos usually got some good inside info, says they'll be discontinued for 2017.

Rawkmann

Reaction score
Whether its a 'true' baritone or not, there's no denying that is one sexy guitar! I'd say for the sake of argument that as far as PRS goes, 25.5 could be considered a baritone given that like 99% of the guitars they make are 25" or less scale length.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Looks fantastic.

The baritone thing doesn't really bother me as while in this place baritones = huge scale length, literally the only definition of a baritone is "longer than normal scale length" and this is longer than that PRS's normal 25" scale on the Tremontis so technically it is a baritone Tremonti.

That said I agree it is a bit silly, but not as much as some guys are making it out to be. :lol:

That was kind of my thinking as well: the point of reference we're using here is PRS, not Fender. I still think it's kind of crazy to pitch your products like they exist in a vacuum from the rest of the market, especially since 25.5 has been the standard scale length for non-Gibson players for well over 5 decades. But I don't see why anyone should be giving PRS .... for not calling the 25.5" scale length 'normal' when 99% of their guitars have been built with a shorter scale than that...from their perspective it is a baritone. If they think 25" is what you need for E at 440, and that 25.5" will help with lower tunings than that, then this is a baritone by their definition.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm as interested in this for the maple neck as much as I am the scale length. I have a custom singlecut with a maple neck, and it just has an incredible sound to it.

If TGS gets one in, I'd make the trip to check it out.

I can't afford one, but I think it's super cool that it's being made!

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
Regardless of the scale length nonsense, it's a gorgeous guitar, and his pickups are pretty nice. Also, more maple necks are just better for humanity in general.

Ziricote

Reaction score
I wonder how it will sound compare to the Mark Holcomb sig baritone's then

ESPImperium

@ESPImperium
Reaction score
Im a Tremonti fan, i have a PRS Tremonti, but i really see no bloody need for that to be classed as a baritone, my PRS SE Mushok is a Baritone with a 27.1 or 28.1 inch scale neck.

I can see it being a help for some of his tunings to make them tighter, but it may be string gauge issue for me, but i usually take 12-56s for those tunings like Drop B and C Standard. But i suppose I'm not a pro level player.

Id much rather go for a SC250 for that sort of thing, but as it is, I'm looking at a HH Telecaster for my Drop B/C Standard guitar, mainly because i want a Tele and not because of the scale length, if not it will be saving for another PRS for that gig.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
Hot, like all PRS guitars. :yesway:

And people should know by now that PRS guitars' namesake will do whatever he wants, build what he wants and will name them exactly the way he wants. :lol:

BlueTrident

Reaction score
this seems quite excessive for a half an inch extension. IMO PRS needs to upgrade the factory so he can accommodate making 25.5" guitars and (hopefully but let's face it never) 7 strings. Mayones, Jackson, Strandberg, Daemoness, etc. show that their IS a market for high end seven strings. But going back to the Tremonti model, I hope they make his 'prototype' production because I'm totally in love with that guitar.

Lemons

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of people here saying that baritone = scale length, which is incorrect. Baritone refers to a range of notes, because this guitar was designed for use in lower tunings it makes this a baritone guitar. Whether or not people think that their design is optimal is another matter.

On another note that solid black with a stained flame maple neck is a good enough reason to buy one of these in my books.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of people here saying that baritone = scale length, which is incorrect.

When it comes to a baritone pitch or tuning, this is true.

But when it comes to a baritone guitar, for years, baritone has meant extended range guitars.

Whens the last time you saw a company issue a "baritone guitar" that was below 25.5''? :lol:

Seriously, I think it would have been better to just call it the Tremonti 255 or something. People will see "baritone" and think "Oh cool, 27'' guitar!" I mean, they can check the specs, but it's quite misleading at first glance.

Lemons

Reaction score
When it comes to a baritone pitch or tuning, this is true.

But when it comes to a baritone guitar, for years, baritone has meant extended range guitars.

Whens the last time you saw a company issue a "baritone guitar" that was below 25.5''? :lol:

Seriously, I think it would have been better to just call it the Tremonti 255 or something. People will see "baritone" and think "Oh cool, 27'' guitar!" I mean, they can check the specs, but it's quite misleading at first glance.

Oh I understand that, but baritone referring to scale length is only really used colloquially. PRS are well within their rights to call it a baritone because at the end of the day it was designed for and ships out at a baritone pitch.

Although would "Tremonti 255" have made more sense? Probably, but that's not really my point.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
Oh I understand that, but baritone referring to scale length is only really used colloquially. PRS are well within their rights to call it a baritone because at the end of the day it was designed for and ships out at a baritone pitch.

Although would "Tremonti 255" have made more sense? Probably, but that's not really my point.

Its not really colloquial when the industry as a whole considers baritones to be longer than that scale length. This is the company having no sense of the market for this one instrument which is insane because they make actual baritone guitars with 27.7" scales.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Although would "Tremonti 255" have made more sense?

Given how, in the past, PRS has used that naming scheme for scale lengths (SC250, SC245, P245, McCarty 594, SE 245, SE 277)... Yes, it makes a hell of a lot more sense and is a lot less confusing than calling a standard-scaled guitar a "baritone". :lol:

And as said before, the entire industry refers to a baritone as an extended-range guitar. Just because PRS changes it doesn't mean everyone's going to release a Fender-scale guitar and call it a baritone. :lol: