New Little Tybee video! Lots of double-thumbing!

• Thread starter koalanights
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

koalanights

Reaction score
Trying to get this video out before we leave for tour. Lots of different techniques in here. I converted a lot of my sweeps and legato runs into double-thumbed arpeggios and it gives them an elastic, rubber-band kind of feeling. Also some under-strumming/tapping of 8-string chords and this glitch thing I've been trying where you hammer on multiple fingers rapidly inside of one fret. Hope y'all enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BckA4yaz-J0

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
That was fantastic!

Really sad none of those tour dates stop by me. I think you guys would be a huge hit in Charlottesville.

Shredcow

Mangled Beef
Reaction score
Very cool musical techniques! Lots of ideas to steal from, for me. :D

If it's not too much trouble, could you suggest some exercises to get started on the thumbing arpeggios technique?

koalanights

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! A crude double-thumb arp description would be to try to get comfortable with the hammer-on followed by a down up with the thumb. From there you can hammer on across strings and hit another double thumb at the top of the arp.

Ex. Em7
A-----------------h5-h7-D-U---
E--------------h7----------------
B--h5 D-U-h8---------------------

The D U means down and up with the thumb. As you can, see it's a little hard to articulate clearly in tab. You can do this ascending and descending, in multiple octaves, or with different intervals. Also most of this stuff is more like legato with the left hand, hammer on and pulling off all over the place, with only the occasional double thumb for articulation. It really adds a lot though. Hope that helps! It's a simplistic beginning, if you really wanna explore this stuff more I do skype lessons and it is infinitely easier to explain and demonstrate over skype. Just give me an email koalanights@yahoo.com
Thanks again!

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Trying to get this video out before we leave for tour. Lots of different techniques in here. I converted a lot of my sweeps and legato runs into double-thumbed arpeggios and it gives them an elastic, rubber-band kind of feeling. Also some under-strumming/tapping of 8-string chords and this glitch thing I've been trying where you hammer on multiple fingers rapidly inside of one fret. Hope y'all enjoy! Feel free to ask any questions.

Nice! Are you slapping the notes at 1:55, 3:24? Your thumb looks like it's doing something on the low string, very nice flowing motion. Thanks for sharing.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
God damn, having never heard of your band before that was a LOT better than I could've imagined. This song is a bit Mercury Rev meets ... the bastard child of Tosin and Letchford, I guess.

props.jpg

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
You know what, screw what I said above. Having just watched the Castle/Left Right live video on Youtube I'll say you're a better player than both. :bowdown:

LordCashew

Death Punch for Cutie
Reaction score
Kickass! Subscribing to your youtube channel... :yesway:

Edit: Checked the tour schedule and you guys WOULD play in my town THE ONE WEEK I'M GONE! :wallbash: :lol:

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
I realize this probably isnt the time or place, but ive never noticed how much your bassist shreds. Whole band full of beasts.

Shimme

Wants a Seven String
Reaction score
Holy moly man! I've watched this and the "For Distant Viewing" video and you have a new fan now! Does the vinyl of For Distant Viewing come with some MP3s so i can listen while it ships? Wish your tour took you closer to Des Moines, I'd love to see you live!

Edit: screw it, just going to buy and hope, if not there's always spotify! Awesome stuff! :wub:

2nd Edit: "We're sorry, this store is currently not accepting orders." :lame: