New Oni Day!!

• Thread starter G_3_3_k_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
A-Type 6.

Corey at Pyramid Guitars @mphsc was an absolute joy to work with on this. He’s as stoked about the guitars in his shop as anyone else is. He shipped quick. Packed it phenomenally well. And left me some really nice high end picks in the case. Would not hesitate to shop there again.

Now on to the good shit.

The neck is a bit thicker than my Essi 8. And if I’m correct not asymmetrical. The stain is gorgeous. The satin back of neck is fast and silky. Action came slammed. Which I like. A lot. Switch feels solid and works easily with little resistance. Pots are nice and fast. It’s light. Maybe 7lbs? Gotoh locking tuners. Dan’s proprietary bridge. The wood work and joinery is what you would expect from Dan. Flawless. Neck carve is a nice even C.

Its an absolute breeze to play. Upper fret access is easy. The eScale keeps everything feeling even and sounding snappy. Dan said the pickups are a more standard design. Regardless they sound great in every setting. Metal? jazz? Funk? Pop? All the sounds are in there. At full tilt under high gain it’s got some of an almost Les Paul like snarl. It beat my Suhr at all of my normal sounds at band practice. Cut better and sounded fuller and more open at the same time. I’m even able to cop some spaghetti western like Tele sounds with it in the middle position coil split. I’m going to include a voice memo recorded on my phone of practice. Not my best playing. I’m still feeling it out a little. There a few clams at the end during the solo after I kicked on my boost and it was WAY too loud. Threw me a bit.

Now someone buy this Suhr I’ll never play again…

Pics:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Nice man! What is the bass side scale length?

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
How unobtanium are Onis they way you and Narad talk them up makes me want one

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score

Less unobtanium than a new custom shop Les Paul. When factoring 'exclusivity' and how rare they are, they're actually pretty affordable.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful! Seems it is one of those guitars that looks twice as good in person! The more pictures I see of A-Types, the more I like them. Kinda like the Essi; not my favorite the first time I saw it, now I can't stop thinking about it.

I like the recording, too. That music gives me Russian Circles vibes, I dig it!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Beautiful! Seems it is one of those guitars that looks twice as good in person! The more pictures I see of A-Types, the more I like them. Kinda like the Essi; not my favorite the first time I saw it, now I can't stop thinking about it.

I like the recording, too. That music gives me Russian Circles vibes, I dig it!

That's the most common comparison we get. I'll take it. I love Russian Circles.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I'll have to report those pictures for being too sexy! :lol:

Happy NGD!

Seriously, though, I was having a rather rough day, and this post made me feel better. :yesway:

Thanks! Glad my good fortune could also make someone else happy.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Not unobtanium at all. It's kind of the opposite situation -- just tragically under-desired in the market. Dan should have a queue out into the next century based on my Essi, and also the customer service and the experience overall, and value based on what the AUD rates are usually like. It's quite a turn from my usual custom order experience where I leave thinking that I received a "good" guitar, but it was in generally massively over-rated.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Not unobtanium at all. It's kind of the opposite situation -- just tragically under-desired in the market. Dan should have a queue out into the next century based on my Essi, and also the customer service and the experience overall, and value based on what the AUD rates are usually like. It's quite a turn from my usual custom order experience where I leave thinking that I received a "good" guitar, but it was in generally massively over-rated.

Honestly I think it’s because there’s not enough A-Types and B-Types out there and the frets make people…. Concerned. 😂 regardless, my two Onis are the two highest quality instruments I’ve owned. There are very few builders out there doing this quality of work, and NONE of the them the prices Dan charges. When I think about how much I have into my two guitars financially, I feel like I got a spectacular deal.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Honestly I think it’s because there’s not enough A-Types and B-Types out there and the frets make people…. Concerned. 😂 regardless, my two Onis are the two highest quality instruments I’ve owned. There are very few builders out there doing this quality of work, and NONE of the them the prices Dan charges. When I think about how much I have into my two guitars financially, I feel like I got a spectacular deal.

Yea, I also feel like the shapes are pretty boutique, but the playability is very ERG. The average ERG guy thinks "that's outta my league" and the average TGP guy thinks that's too many strings and is slanty and scary. Really wish Dan would release some more straight-forward metal/shred guitar, something that looks like Meshuggah would play it, and then maybe get them into some more SSO hands. I respect the shapes he made and I think they look good, but I think they scare a lot of people off who would love the experience of playing one.

The Essi though I think is actually an Aristides-killer... mine feels like that in terms of being fast and unobstructive in the neck heel and upper fret access, pretty comparable to an 080s. But it sounds way better.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Yea, I also feel like the shapes are pretty boutique, but the playability is very ERG. The average ERG guy thinks "that's outta my league" and the average TGP guy thinks that's too many strings and is slanty and scary. Really wish Dan would release some more straight-forward metal/shred guitar, something that looks like Meshuggah would play it, and then maybe get them into some more SSO hands. I respect the shapes he made and I think they look good, but I think they scare a lot of people off who would love the experience of playing one.

The Essi though I think is actually an Aristides-killer... mine feels like that in terms of being fast and unobstructive in the neck heel and upper fret access, pretty comparable to an 080s. But it sounds way better.

The A-Type is just as playable as the Essi. Upper fret access is fantastic. I think the only thing making my Essi easier is the 3 extra frets. His pickups are some of the best I’ve ever heard. Beat and on the BKPs, DiMarzios, or Duncans I’ve played.

I think if there were more straight fret A or B-Types out there as well as Brutes, he’d catch on more. I’d actually venture in to saying, what he charges is probably not enough. Build quality is equivalent or better than PRS private stock or Knaggs in my opinion.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
One thing I'll mention is that the website isn't great - there's nothing in relation to pricing, there isn't a gallery, and what pictures are there are awkwardly cut off, no order form/build generator etc. Compare it to something like OD: https://www.od-guitars.com/ the website is comprehensive.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
One thing I'll mention is that the website isn't great - there's nothing in relation to pricing, there isn't a gallery, and what pictures are there are awkwardly cut off, no order form/build generator etc. Compare it to something like OD: https://www.od-guitars.com/ the website is comprehensive.

Well, in the US he now has a dealer. So that’s a bit irrelevant here. You can talk to them about builds they have incoming, or spec’ing one. I just scored a good deal on one that was a return to them. My 8 string was something I’d been taking to Dan about for almost 10 years. Getting the dealership here happened right around the same time I put my order in with Dan. Anyway, either way it’s a great experience. Corey at Pyramid is awesome. So is Dan. I honestly don’t think the website gets Dan all that much business. I think it’s more for basic information about the builds. It could certainly be updated. I’d rebuild it and manage it in exchange for something. But honestly, I think IG, word of mouth, and returning customers are where he gets the most business.

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Well, in the US he now has a dealer. So that’s a bit irrelevant here. You can talk to them about builds they have incoming, or spec’ing one. I just scored a good deal on one that was a return to them. My 8 string was something I’d been taking to Dan about for almost 10 years. Getting the dealership here happened right around the same time I put my order in with Dan. Anyway, either way it’s a great experience. Corey at Pyramid is awesome. So is Dan. I honestly don’t think the website gets Dan all that much business. I think it’s more for basic information about the builds. It could certainly be updated. I’d rebuild it and manage it in exchange for something. But honestly, I think IG, word of mouth, and returning customers are where he gets the most business.
That makes a tonne of sense! For serious customers with the capacity to actually make orders that sounds like a breeze! To be honest, I'm mainly thinking of myself or a customer like me in this scenario - I have very limited disposable income and a pathological need to absorb information like a sponge, so I try and find out as much as possible about something before buying it. Not having the capacity to nerd out on something in absurd detail well, well in advance of making a purchase would be a barrier to me, but I'm probably in the minority when it comes to looking at very high-end gear in an almost purely aspirational sense.

Last edited: