New plugin from Neural DSP! Archetype: Plini

• Thread starter Kaura
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
wow I've never really done these sort of things but that looks like quite the suite.

It is! After trying it for 15 minutes now, I can say it handles everything from the sparkliest cleans to soaring leads very well. The best part about this compared to the other plugins by Neural is that this one has delay and reverb included so now I don't have to use any 3rd party effects while recording.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
It is! After trying it for 15 minutes now, I can say it handles everything from the sparkliest cleans to soaring leads very well. The best part about this compared to the other plugins by Neural is that this one has delay and reverb included so now I don't have to use any 3rd party effects while recording.

Yeah that plus stand alone feature makes it seem like it would just be a blast to just boot up and dick around and have fun.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I came to this thread with zero interest in a Plini plugin but I'm sold just on the features. Standalone with all the effects you could need would replace my practice amp when I want to play clean or leads. Neural are dominating the market at the moment.

If those reverb and delays come to the Fortin amp suites that would be amazing.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Kinda feel like Nameless and NTS are meeting my needs

But the lead tones in this sound awesome. I'll definitely download the trial and see how it sounds with my shitty playing as opposed to his amazing playing, lol

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Kinda feel like Nameless and NTS are meeting my needs

But the lead tones in this sound awesome. I'll definitely download the trial and see how it sounds with my shitty playing as opposed to his amazing playing, lol

For me, the main con about the last two plugins was their clean side. I mean NTS has dedicated clean channel but without the modulation effects it was kinda pointless, at least for me since I always slap some reverb and delay on my clean tones. Of course the point of those plugins was to mostly deliver crushing hi-gain tones but this plugin still does that but with so much more.

One feature that would make this plugin pretty much perfect would be the option to put the delay in front of the amp for those dirty post-rock leads. ;)

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
This thing is great! I'm honestly super impressed with the entire thing - The amp and cab modeling, the fx, the layout, all of it. Now if only it wasn't so expensive to own past the trial date...

Masoo2

Reaction score
Plini has always had some great tones so it's nice to finally see him get a plugin

Easily my favorite sounding Neural amp plugin so far, not a fan of what I could get out of Nameless or NTS but this seems to be in a completely different ballpark

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Sounds great and I absolutely love Plini. Just not the sounds I'm looking for. Too refined. I'm more into the Post metal, amp is careening out of control sort of thing.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
These sound fantastic! I only wish I could overcome the micro amounts of latency I get from running my pc as a practice amp..so hard not to notice once you've started trem picking :(

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
These sound fantastic! I only wish I could overcome the micro amounts of latency I get from running my pc as a practice amp..so hard not to notice once you've started trem picking :(
Have you googled how to optimize your pc for low latency audio? There are plenty of good guides out there.

The guy who makes Cantabile (Windows contender for Apple’s Mainstage) has a free PDF with some good pointers.

https://download.cantabilesoftware.com/GlitchFree.pdf

Since I’m doing what you do frequently, I decided to invest in a Zoom UAC-2 interface. Sort of a poor man’s answer to an RME interface. But it was Black Friday and my Sweetwater rep gave me a good deal!

Running mine at 160 samples, I get about 5.6ms round trip latency. Works plenty well for guitar playing.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
This thing is great! I'm honestly super impressed with the entire thing - The amp and cab modeling, the fx, the layout, all of it. Now if only it wasn't so expensive to own past the trial date...
I'm pretty sure Neural sent out a coupon to folks who tried out the trial version of Nameless suite after it came out. It was a pretty minimal discount, like 10% or something.

Empryrean

angery gear acquirer
Reaction score
Have you googled how to optimize your pc for low latency audio? There are plenty of good guides out there.

The guy who makes Cantabile (Windows contender for Apple’s Mainstage) has a free PDF with some good pointers.

https://download.cantabilesoftware.com/GlitchFree.pdf

Since I’m doing what you do frequently, I decided to invest in a Zoom UAC-2 interface. Sort of a poor man’s answer to an RME interface. But it was Black Friday and my Sweetwater rep gave me a good deal!

Running mine at 160 samples, I get about 5.6ms round trip latency. Works plenty well for guitar playing.
I cannot believe I've never tried changing my sample rate. I just tried and got it WAAY more manageable now, maybe I'll give this Plini suite a shot now =)
thanks pal!

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
I cannot believe I've never tried changing my sample rate. I just tried and got it WAAY more manageable now, maybe I'll give this Plini suite a shot now =)
thanks pal!
Glad I can help. :)

It's always a compromise sample rate & buffer size vs. round-trip latency. Just set it to something manageable that doesn't give you any noticeable input lag or clicks and pops. I typically use 48 khz for just a bit of extra headroom with a modest CPU hit over 44.1 khz.

Remember you still have limits with anything: multiple amp sims and IRs, convolution reverbs, complex delays, etc. can all take a toll on your usable buffer size. If you get really heavy with all of those things you may have to adjust it to fit your needs.

Also, don't write off any of the other optimization things he recommends in that PDF. If you're comfortable playing with your BIOS settings, disabling the power saving C2/C3 states of your processor can help immensely with random latency spikes on Windows machines. I just built a new i7-8700k desktop and still needed to do that for optimal performance. (That feature has more of a benefit on laptops imho.)

Last edited:

scottbeckman

Guitarist @ Lightswarm
Reaction score
Just downloaded the trial versions of the NTS, Nameless, and Plini, and all of them kick a ton of ass. It's going to be tough to choose between them, though I'm leaning Plini because of the FX and dedicated clean/crunch amps. Still, the NTS and Nameless have absolutely devastating rhythm tones that it's going to be hard to pass on. Might have to get all 3.