New Schecter Models Megathread

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, they are excluded because the only thing that makes them premium is the artist name. KM is also neck-through but it's EVEN MORE expensive. And no, 1600-2k is not the new price range if you exclude niche stuff like multiscale. Since the rule seems to be any premium import rather than Korean specifically, here's where I see the problem.

Schecter's tippy top-end regular guitar is 1500 with all the fixings - name brand pickups (expensive ones too), sustainer, floyd rose, neck through, fade finish:

LTD's top end hardtail, also with carved top and binding is 1200 and the FR version is 1400:

A neck-through premium is 1500:
A prestige hardtail is 1800:
Or, if you like, LESS MONEY:

MIA for 1949:

MIA for 1949:

So do you see how I am a little complain-y about these basic-ass signature models for these prices? I'm well aware that guitars are more expensive than they used to be, but I do think that even within this new landscape the Tao and the KM mark anniversary whatever do not stack up favorably at their inflated price points.
Totally get what you are talking about and prices vs what you get. I do agree it's getting out of hand. Also schecter's top import guitar is around 1800 bucks that's not a sig. And with Schecter it's a head scratcher when the new Sunset Extreme's are essentially the Tao without the name brand hardware and just about half the price. I played one and thought it was a really solid guitar for 900 bucks. And then there are some USA models that are maybe just a few hundred more than the top end import stuff. So their range is a little all over it feels like.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dlam_ivs

Reaction score
Why would Schecter use this picture? Why not paint the entire headstock the same color? Why are they so weird? How do they get so close to perfection every time?

look near the nut 👀 that is crazy. That's $1,600?
John Browne Tao-6.Azure.11.jpg

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now that I see the contrast, I prefer the purple as well. Although, I did have to send mine back due to cosmetic flaws (scuffs, chipped paint on the bridge), a scratchy pot, and an issue with the volume knob. The new one should be here this week. I'm glad I purchased it though. For the two days I had it, It played well and I love the pickups.

And yeah, I ordered the KM-7 MK-III Legacy, too. It has the specs I want. We'll see how it fares when it arrives next month. I'm not one to part with guitars, but I sold a couple that were essentially collecting dust to fund these purchases. How's your Tao-7 holding up? Any issues?

It's a Tao 6 and it's holding up great. Was flawless so hopefully you just got unlucky.

The pickups were amazing and I definitely would've kept them if I didn't get BKP Aftermaths in advance.

I thought I posted it in this thread but it must've been elsewhere on the site.

20231201_044412_copy_1440x1080_1.jpg

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Why would Schecter use this picture? Why not paint the entire headstock the same color? Why are they so weird? How do they get so close to perfection every time?

look near the nut 👀 that is crazy. That's $1,600?
View attachment 134925
Dude, what?

This is a signature model. John Browne decided on this headstock, not schecter. In fact, some of the Tao prototypes had different headstocks and John went with this one for production.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Chiming in here on my Tao 7.

Quality is right on par with other WMI Korean guitars from the major brands. Overall, very well made and feels great. I played a bunch of other instruments in the price range that day and this Tao was nicer than most all of them. You aren't going to get many other guitars nicer than this one, with similar 'high quality' specs, for much cheaper, especially considering this is an artist model which will increase the price in itself.

Finish issues? One small one, but a few finish issues here and there are very normal on WMI instruments and always have been so its not something that bothered me. That said, my 'finish issue' was some shielding paint got on the back of the body just outside the control cavity. I asked the tech (with my free in-store setup) to try to see if he can clean it off, and he did no problem.

As someone mentioned earlier, in comparison to LTD 600 series (artist models) this Tao is actually less expensive than the majority of the LTD artist models.

GBv2ZqnX0AA2DE6

Last edited:

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
Chiming in here on my Tao 7.

Quality is right on par with other WMI Korean guitars from the major brands. Overall, very well made and feels great. I played a bunch of other instruments in the price range that day and this Tao was nicer than most all of them. You aren't going to get many other guitars nicer than this one, with similar 'high quality' specs, for much cheaper, especially considering this is an artist model which will increase the price in itself.

Finish issues? One small one, but a few finish issues here and there are very normal on WMI instruments and always have been so its not something that bothered me. That said, my 'finish issue' was some shielding paint got on the back of the body just outside the control cavity. I asked the tech (with my free in-store setup) to try to see if he can clean it off, and he did no problem.

As someone mentioned earlier, in comparison to LTD 600 series (artist models) this Tao is actually less expensive than the majority of the LTD artist models.

GBv2ZqnX0AA2DE6
Wow, it looks like you actually got a decent veneer. Congrats!

Jynx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's much more defined than my one.

20231223_180640.jpg

It looks better in real life and I find it very hard to take a picture that does it justice but even with that I don't think the dark in mine is as dark.

Zado

Reaction score

View attachment 135141

It looks better in real life and I find it very hard to take a picture that does it justice but even with that I don't think the dark in mine is as dark.

It might be the lighting too. But if you're not happy with it you may consider making it glossy

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Wow, it looks like you actually got a decent veneer. Congrats!
Looks like a terrific veneer to me honestly.

Thanks!

Yeah, I definitely got lucky with my veneer. Even more so, I even got a really nice dark wenge neck too.

ian540s

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I said this in another thread but I think the reason a lot of import veneers look like shit is because PRS hogs all the good veneers for their SE and S2 line lol
Honestly might not be far off haha, my SE CU24 has an insane flame even though it's not a "real" top. Don't they have their own production line within the factory, as well?
I do like the subtle flames on most of the Schecter Browne models, both styles are nice.
I think once you get a super defined flame you get into "flashy" territory, so the subtlety is a nice touch without being over the top.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Honestly might not be far off haha, my SE CU24 has an insane flame even though it's not a "real" top. Don't they have their own production line within the factory, as well?
I do like the subtle flames on most of the Schecter Browne models, both styles are nice.
I think once you get a super defined flame you get into "flashy" territory, so the subtlety is a nice touch without being over the top.
Yeah PRS apparently has their own facility in the Cort factory. And yeah I've yet to own an SE with a shit top regardless of MiK or MiI

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude, what?

This is a signature model. John Browne decided on this headstock, not schecter. In fact, some of the Tao prototypes had different headstocks and John went with this one for production.
It’s funny because he actually just posted in his sig thread that they didn’t let him use the headstock he wanted.