New Slipknot

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Yeah for Jim it was his Uber that he used on Vol. 3 and another Uber with the Purple mod. Not sure what that is TBH. The MarkIIC+ was apparently used on old Metallica records.
I think the part with the P-90's was with the fuzz pedal on Spiders maybe?

I would love too see a current rig rundown and see what Jim is using live. Not sure where he stands with Orange these days but his sig amp and cab are discontinued it appears.

Those JR Heads and Cabs were kind of a joke anyway, he never actually used them as far as I can tell. He normally has Rockerverbs and 4x12s whether it was Slipknot or Stone Sour when he plays live.

Mick was playing Mesa JP-2Cs live on the Gray Chapter tour, wonder if he is using Omegas live now?

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Those JR Heads and Cabs were kind of a joke anyway, he never actually used them as far as I can tell. He normally has Rockerverbs and 4x12s whether it was Slipknot or Stone Sour when he plays live.

Mick was playing Mesa JP-2Cs live on the Gray Chapter tour, wonder if he is using Omegas live now?

No Jim never used those live. He used Rockerverb 100 heads. Mick is currently using the Omega Iridium and Obsidian heads and Omega cabs in his live rig.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those JR Heads and Cabs were kind of a joke anyway, he never actually used them as far as I can tell. He normally has Rockerverbs and 4x12s whether it was Slipknot or Stone Sour when he plays live

I don't think it was ever explicitly implied he was using the sigs live, I thought the idea of the JR branding was to basically imply it was a Rockerverb lunchbox without calling it a RockerTerror or some other terrible name.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
And also, disasterpieces is a dvd carefully edited to be as intense as possible booth visually as well as sonically. It's not a livestream, which is what you're comparing it with.

Diasterpieces is more like a movie, its so well edited and crafted giving the band a larger than life appearance. It does capture the intensity of the shows I've been to so I don't mind the exaggeration.

Reactions: fps

Señor Voorhees

Reaction score
Well they're almost 20 years older now, so it's kinda logical that they're not as insane live anymore.

And also, disasterpieces is a dvd carefully edited to be as intense as possible booth visually as well as sonically. It's not a livestream, which is what you're comparing it with.

I saw them live around the time that DVD came out and it was a pretty accurate representation of the live show. I mean, it's got editing to make it more interesting than just a static shot, but that show was fucking mean in person and on DVD.

The vast majority of the live streams of their recent stuff has been pretty damn hectic as well. The new guy is fucking bananas, Sid is the same old Sid, and clown does his creepy meandering around the stage like usual. I just got done watching a video where new guy was at Sid's turntables, Sid was at Clown's drums, and clown was doing something down in front. V-Man is also mobile. It's great seeing everyone who can afford it moving around so much.

My only point with my last post was even with what appeared to be a relatively low energy performance for them, they nail their shit down and performed their music damn perfectly. If you like the band and it's music, I absolutely recommend buying tickets if they swing by wherever you are. (This goes for everyone.) You will not be disappointed.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't seen them since Volume 3, but couldn't make the recent show.

That Volume 3 show was pretty killer, though. Dillinger Escape Plan and Unearth opened. I'm really glad I got a chance to see Dillinger, and Unearth was badass, too. Slipknot played without Jim, who (I think) had broken his arm or wrist skateboarding. Corey said something like that, anyway.

A few years before that, I saw them when their dumb feud with Limp Bizkit was going on. Corey was ranting about shitty people or something, and goes, "Guys, a Chocolate Starfish is an asshole. Look it up."

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
Haven't seen them since Volume 3, but couldn't make the recent show.

That Volume 3 show was pretty killer, though. Dillinger Escape Plan and Unearth opened. I'm really glad I got a chance to see Dillinger, and Unearth was badass, too. Slipknot played without Jim, who (I think) had broken his arm or wrist skateboarding. Corey said something like that, anyway.

A few years before that, I saw them when their dumb feud with Limp Bizkit was going on. Corey was ranting about shitty people or something, and goes, "Guys, a Chocolate Starfish is an asshole. Look it up."

Lol. I remember Corey also talking shit about Korn (supposedly). Something about only hating their 2nd or 3rd album more specifically. It's funny since they've been collaborating many times ever since.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol. I remember Corey also talking shit about Korn (supposedly). Something about only hating their 2nd or 3rd album more specifically. It's funny since they've been collaborating many times ever since.

Sid talked about the LB feud on Jasta recently. Said people still talk to him like it's going on. He then talked about being friends with the guys in LB, and how he frequently fills in for DJ Lethal. Thought that was funny.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
Not sure if this is old news or not, but for the album:

Mick: Signature Jackson/Duncans through an Omega Obsidian and Iridium. Signature Jackson with P90's into a '65 Super Reverb.

Jim: Signature Fenders with EMG's through a custom modded Uberschall and a Mark IIC+

Pretty standard for most of the album, but I wasn't expecting to see Mick using P90's into a Fender, or a Mark IIC+ to be on there.

I'm very surprised Jim didn't use any Orange amps.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score
I don't think it was ever explicitly implied he was using the sigs live, I thought the idea of the JR branding was to basically imply it was a Rockerverb lunchbox without calling it a RockerTerror or some other terrible name.

I vaguely remember him saying in the promo vids for his amps that it was more geared towards the fans who wanted his sound but didn't have the budget for a full orange stack. Which is understandable I think.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score

I think so. Also meant to be affordable for his fans, just like the Mexico-made guitars at a reasonable price.

I cranked that JR mini amp through the matching (I think - black one?) orange 2x12, with an EMG81-equipped guitar, and it sounded fucking badass. And I don't usually like Orange.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Well, I've had some time to listen and digest and I just can't see any upsides to this album, I think it's a load of crap. Boring, bland Slipknot by numbers. Sure, Mick got hopped up on substances and stabbed his hillbilly brother and Shawn's daughter died, but the aggression just feels so phoned-in. The album is too long and even the "best" songs don't match the level of the worst songs on Iowa or S/T.

I can't blame them for dropping off in quality, no band in metal that I can think of has consistently delivered, they all tail off eventually. The difference with Slipknot I suppose is that they dropped off hard about a quarter of the way through their career and they've been carrying on as zombie Slipknot ever since.

Some of the discussion in this thread does make me look back at Nu Metal and wonder if we knew how good we had it at the time, there were a lot of absolute bangers back in that era. The riffs and song structures were simplistic but I can't help that the resultant pendulum swing towards techy music in the decade that followed really set us up for some boring music and sterile production techniques.

You really think so? I do know what you mean about "phoned in" aggression. But at the same time, if you crank this on some good speakers and watch the video... if this doesn't get you pumped up, you're probably dead

BusinessMan

Reaction score
You really think so? I do know what you mean about "phoned in" aggression. But at the same time, if you crank this on some good speakers and watch the video... if this doesn't get you pumped up, you're probably dead

Easily the hypest song on the album (IMO). This was the song that got me hype for the album. Every time it pops on shuffle I kinda lose my mind :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I vaguely remember him saying in the promo vids for his amps that it was more geared towards the fans who wanted his sound but didn't have the budget for a full orange stack. Which is understandable I think.

Yeah, it killed two birds with one stone. Gave Orange a reason to release a proper Rockerverb-voiced Mini-Terror amp, and also release something to please the Slipknot fans.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Easily the hypest song on the album (IMO). This was the song that got me hype for the album. Every time it pops on shuffle I kinda lose my mind :lol:

The passion in the performances from the whole band, but Corey in particular, are astounding on this song. He's really tapped into something very deep and made it open for everyone to see. Really incredible performance.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
A bunch of bands I really like have released live versions of entire albums semi-recently. I'd love it if Slipknot did that with this album.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that they taped the Iowa State Fair performance for a possible live CD/DVD release?

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
The passion in the performances from the whole band, but Corey in particular, are astounding on this song. He's really tapped into something very deep and made it open for everyone to see. Really incredible performance.

Though at the same time, "I don't need you to understand me" etc. - but he constantly posts on social media about his family, his holidays, political views etc. There's a whole meme about "what does Corey Taylor think about it?" because he's so outspoken about everything. So although I agree about the performance being good, it's quite funny that the subject matter and reality don't align at all.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Though at the same time, "I don't need you to understand me" etc. - but he constantly posts on social media about his family, his holidays, political views etc. There's a whole meme about "what does Corey Taylor think about it?" because he's so outspoken about everything. So although I agree about the performance being good, it's quite funny that the subject matter and reality don't align at all.

The "you" in each case may be different....