New song: Alternate Tuning, Non-Prog, Non-Metal

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
So about a week back I strung my ESP guitar with a set of 11's. Since I used a heavy set I tuned it to a standard D and left it without stretching out the strings.

A couple of days later I picked it up and strummed it. Something odd happened: It wasn't tuned to its standard tuning, but it had detuned to a suspended kind of sound. I kept strumming that open string and really liked what I heard. A couple of minutes later I had created a 2 chord vamp ! This was the first time I was playing with alternate tunings.

I decided to see what tuning my guitar had altered itself to, so I took out my tuner and played each string. Here is the tuning:

6 C
5 G
4 C
3 Eb
2 Bb
1 D

So the bass part of the guitar has a Drop D tuning going on, taken down a step, but the upper half registers an interesting sound. I plugged this into Guitar Pro and it turns out to be a C minor 9 as an open chord ! The chord vamp is Cm9 and Fm9. I soloed using the same guitar, I have no idea what modes / scales I was hitting, but it sounded nice. It was nice to break away from my standard pentatonic boxes and just go into a strange territory, as such,

I decided to record a song with this and keep it simple. The open chords can be heard as the song starts. I kept it simple and a little laid back.

Hope you enjoy it and maybe play around with the tuning if it suits your fancy.

I named it Train Ride from Siliguri, coz it reminds me of train rides in India.

Link to Song. On the website, you'll have to scroll for the song :Myspace OR Website

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
that's so sick

man.. congratulations!

BTW. from where did you get those tabla and shit sounds? I always wanted that kind of percursion on some of my songs

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks so much guys !

The Tabla sounds are from M-Audio Pro Sessions Tabla loops. They are available on E-bay and the official site as well. Ebay is a little cheaper.