New Steven Wilson Studio Video

• Thread starter Alice AKW
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Volteau

the Bard
Reaction score
God, Marco is such a beast. Sounds really awesome. Wilson never disappoints. And that song at 4:59 sounds pretty damn amazing. Reminds me of Anathema's Weather Systems.

Skyblue

Reaction score
I love wilson, but I have to admit his last album didn't really stick with me. It was good, but I never found myself coming back to it. I much prefer his work in Porcupine Tree than his solo work.

Still waiting for this, of course~

Richie666

Reaction score
This is going to be amazing. The last few PT records and all of his solo stuff have been phenomenal. Can't forget Storm Corrosion either! He's probably my favorite active musician.

I was lucky enough to catch this band on the Raven tour and they were immaculate. Despite the lesser role Theo Travis is supposedly playing on the new record, you can't go wrong with this lineup.

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
The song that starts playing at 4:00 or so is rather nice - I do like his poppier stuff like "Lazarus" by Porcupine Tree. Prog-pop. It's a thing. Looking forward to this one.

Thorerges

Reaction score
God, Marco is such a beast. Sounds really awesome. Wilson never disappoints. And that song at 4:59 sounds pretty damn amazing. Reminds me of Anathema's Weather Systems.

Didn't Marco Minnemann also play for Necrophagist? Is there anything he can't do?

ghost2II2

Reaction score
I love wilson, but I have to admit his last album didn't really stick with me. It was good, but I never found myself coming back to it. I much prefer his work in Porcupine Tree than his solo work.

Still waiting for this, of course~

This. I think I listened to Raven for like the first month and then was just completely ....ing bored with it. As for the first two solo records, spotty would be my assessment. There are moments of really good material, but there are just as many "meh" moments. And I'm not even going to get started on the disappointment Storm Corrosion turned out to be. You know what I do still listen to, though? Deadwing, In Absentia, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, etc. :D I don't know what it is, but even though PT is essentially a SW solo project, there was a chemistry with those four guys that resonated in a very powerful way that his solo stuff does not...despite Govan and Minnemann's talent.

I'm not sure I'm going to indulge his self-proclaimed "selfish" attitude for a fourth go. I heard nothing that impressive here, and frankly, I'm just really bored by it. I think I'll just wait to see if another PT album get's made. And if he never does another one, then just move on. No harm no foul.

Richie666

Reaction score
^ Damn! I think he has released what is easily his best music in the last 6 years! Totally disagree with the chemistry comment too. Judging from the live show I saw and the Get All You Deserve DVD, I think there is beautiful chemistry in his new band.

I think he has shown incredible artistic integrity with his solo releases regarding song craft and production especially.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
This. I think I listened to Raven for like the first month and then was just completely ....ing bored with it. As for the first two solo records, spotty would be my assessment. There are moments of really good material, but there are just as many "meh" moments. And I'm not even going to get started on the disappointment Storm Corrosion turned out to be. You know what I do still listen to, though? Deadwing, In Absentia, Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun, Signify, etc. :D I don't know what it is, but even though PT is essentially a SW solo project, there was a chemistry with those four guys that resonated in a very powerful way that his solo stuff does not...despite Govan and Minnemann's talent.

I'm not sure I'm going to indulge his self-proclaimed "selfish" attitude for a fourth go. I heard nothing that impressive here, and frankly, I'm just really bored by it. I think I'll just wait to see if another PT album get's made. And if he never does another one, then just move on. No harm no foul.

Totally agree with all of this, except the Storm Corrosion thing. Those songs have really beautiful melodies, and don't have the pretentiousness that turns me off to most of the material from Grace for Drowning and onward. I feel like Wilson (and, for that matter, Mikael Akerfeldt) is just basking in his own sense of retro authenticity and living out a dream of making 70s prog rock with modern production. Which is fine, but it's neither innovative nor interesting enough to hold my attention, and it seems like people get derided for saying that.

putnut77

Reaction score
Very exciting news. Having seen both Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson (Band) I have to say I do prefer Porcupine Tree. I have to agree with the comment above about chemistry. "Arriving Somewhere" is such a phenomenal show, and includes some really great music.

I wasn't particularly keen on The Raven That Refused To Sing, although Guthrie Govan's solo's reallly are killer.

Cnev

Reaction score
Steven Wilson is one of those artists who I can never seem to connect with even though I feel like I should. I do think he is a brilliant musician and is an artist who possesses qualities I admire, but the music he actually creates is just so sterile and bland to me. I want to like this dude, so much. But, I can never seem to find anything within his body of work that tickles my fancy.

ghost2II2

Reaction score
Totally agree with all of this, except the Storm Corrosion thing. Those songs have really beautiful melodies, and don't have the pretentiousness that turns me off to most of the material from Grace for Drowning and onward. I feel like Wilson (and, for that matter, Mikael Akerfeldt) is just basking in his own sense of retro authenticity and living out a dream of making 70s prog rock with modern production. Which is fine, but it's neither innovative nor interesting enough to hold my attention, and it seems like people get derided for saying that.

Haha. Yeah. let me clear up the Storm Corrosion comment because now that read it, it looks like I was going to bash it. But, quite the contrary. Drag Ropes and Storm Corrosion where amazing tracks and then I just felt like the rest of the album left me high and dry. Even after multiple revisits. To this day I still load that album on my iPod with just those two songs. :)

@RIchie666 - Yeah, I always am up for getting a discussion going on this form that is about someone other than Periphery or "Djent"...not that there's anything wrong with that other than complete overkill. :D

Alimination

Space Adventurer
Reaction score
Raven was my favorite record last year, and his LA performance was top notch... I can not Wait for this new one!!!

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
I feel the same as the others that simply don't connect with his stuff. I have actually TRIED to "get it" and listened to multiple albums multiple times, because at first listen, it's something I would normally like. Then I find myself not wanting to go back and listen and I move on to something like Karnivool or something to scratch that itch. I think he just writes stuff that sounds cool but there is a depth and an emotional connection to the music that's he's lacking. I feel EXACTLY the same way about the last two Opeth albums. This latest one is abysmal.

andyjanson

Reaction score
The teaser of the guitar solo right at the end sounds great - tone and phrasing sounds spot on. But then, it's Guthrie, so...

Skyblue

Reaction score
Steven Wilson is one of those artists who I can never seem to connect with even though I feel like I should. I do think he is a brilliant musician and is an artist who possesses qualities I admire, but the music he actually creates is just so sterile and bland to me. I want to like this dude, so much. But, I can never seem to find anything within his body of work that tickles my fancy.

That's my problem with his solo work, it's great music, but I can't seem to connect to it. His work on PT on the other hand, to me is amazingly emotional. I mean come on, the lyrics to Prodigal from In absentia...

EDIT: Oh, and who's singing in the last song there? Sounds like a girl to me...