New Suffocation song!

• Thread starter Thep
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
BLABBERMOUTH.NET - SUFFOCATION: New Song Available For Streaming

I don't know what to think of it yet.

I don't like the guitar tone, thats for sure. Quite un-Suffo like imo. Some of the riffs surprised me as well (a bit in a bad way). Not quite as sinister as I hoped it would be, its just pretty cool riffing.

Culross didn't let me down, drums are great.

I love that the bass is very audible.

Definitely more polished then other suffocation albums, but....sure its raw, but if feels a bit sterile? if that makes any sense. At least blood oath and self-titled had a bit more atmosphere.

EDIT: had EQ on my speakers, so I take some of my comments back. Stupid me lol.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
its different for them i think
and i have to disagree, i think the production is awesome, this is some of the clearest guitars i've ever heard on anything of theirs, if not the best. and i think the snare sets just fine
culross is a beast, so glad he filled the spot. though i find it weird that mike smith played two songs on the album...?

overall its nothing too great, but its a tad different and im glad they're exploring a little

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
No meat to the guitars at all.

Hoping the album is better.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
The link seems to be dead. argh!

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
While production is cleaner, it doesn't suit their style at all. I wanted something darker and rawer.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
I fuckin love it! I'm listening on a pathetic laptop and it sounds killer to me!

Aghasura

Reaction score
I stopped listening to Suffocation after Despite the Sun, and this song reminds me why I did that. I totally support a band trying some new and different, especially if they feel they are stagnating, but for me, there's nothing about this that feels like Suffocation to me anymore, maybe with the exception of the vocals. The production, while fairly clean, is kind of flat and a touch hars.

I miss Doug Cerrito's guitars, I think. His contribution was vital.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
Suffo can do no wrong in my eyes/ears

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
I stopped listening to Suffocation after Despite the Sun, and this song reminds me why I did that. I totally support a band trying some new and different, especially if they feel they are stagnating, but for me, there's nothing about this that feels like Suffocation to me anymore, maybe with the exception of the vocals. The production, while fairly clean, is kind of flat and a touch hars.

I miss Doug Cerrito's guitars, I think. His contribution was vital.

Despise the Sun is so fucking good

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
I was actually very disappointed in Despise the Sun because it marked their transition from brilliantly convoluted, ever-evolving journeys to simple, repetitive song structures. The best song on that album is Catatonia. ;)

But yeah, Cerrito's absence is noticeable. As is Mike Smith's.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
having heard the new record and watched it being recorded, it is a great record. i personally love the napalm death style riffing towards the end of as grace descends. the new record is sick and puts blood oath to shame IMO

Aghasura

Reaction score
I was actually very disappointed in Despise the Sun because it marked their transition from brilliantly convoluted, ever-evolving journeys to simple, repetitive song structures. The best song on that album is Catatonia. ;)

But yeah, Cerrito's absence is noticeable. As is Mike Smith's.

Yeah, definitely a more straightforward album, but It was so pummeling.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Is it just me or Blood Oath, and this, have incredibly weak tone? No meat, totally.

Cremated

Reaction score
Not incredibly impressed with the tone/mix, but I like the direction they're taking honestly. Some really sick riffing in this song. Frank Mullen sounds better on this than on Blood Oath too IMO. Suffocation does no wrong. <3