New Synergy module - April 17th

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I'm curious about what kind of circuit changes are going on between the red and orange modes since it's not able to remove the negative feedback from the power section like the real amp does.

On an old ToneTalk episode, Dave Friedman said that a Synergy Rectfier module would be redundant since the preamp of the real amp is so close to that of an SLO and the power section is where the difference in tone/character/feel comes from. I guess that didn't stop people from asking for one, though :lol:
That didn't stop them from releasing the 5150 module 🤷‍♂️

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I have the synergy SLO and 6505. They are different enough to warrant both. I'll have the DRect soon too so I am sure my playing will consist of constant a/b/c ing them lol
I had a lot of the Synergy modules and I don't think most of them were different enough to warrant having so many similar modules. I haven't owned the 6505 one, but I A/B'd it with my SLO module before selling it and while there were differences, I didn't think it was worth owning both at all 🤷‍♂️ FWIW, I also didn't really think the SLO was that great to begin with, but everyone seems to rave about that one.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I had a lot of the Synergy modules and I don't think most of them were different enough to warrant having so many similar modules. I haven't owned the 6505 one, but I A/B'd it with my SLO module before selling it and while there were differences, I didn't think it was worth owning both at all 🤷‍♂️ FWIW, I also didn't really think the SLO was that great to begin with, but everyone seems to rave about that one.
Rather than getting a bunch of different modules, I have 4 OS and 2 IICP modules. The OS is incredibly versatile.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
It is really versatile and has a lot of usable flavors. I also find using several various modules (I found this with pedals into the Two Notes Cab M as well) that using a particular sound can cause other sounds to lose some definition. I think it is essentially a form of ear fatigue, but can happen in a relatively short time. (IE, the treble and upper midrange can sound dull and middy or overly dark)

Shask

Reaction score
I have the synergy SLO and 6505. They are different enough to warrant both. I'll have the DRect soon too so I am sure my playing will consist of constant a/b/c ing them lol
How different would you say the 6505 and SLO are?

I have a 6505, but considering a SLO. To me, it seems like it would be similar to the green on the 6505.

I think this new DRECT looks pretty cool also. Seems pretty true to the Recto sound. However, it would probably be tighter and clearer than an actual Recto, like all the modules are.

Shask

Reaction score
I have tried to grab one of brand. One Bogner, One Mesa, One Freyette, One Peavey, One ENGL, etc.... there are similarities, but I find it hard to want more than one of each brand. I think that would overlap too much.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
I have tried to grab one of brand. One Bogner, One Mesa, One Freyette, One Peavey, One ENGL, etc.... there are similarities, but I find it hard to want more than one of each brand. I think that would overlap too much.
That's what I did too. For Fryette, I went UL. For ENGL, I went Savage. I have the IICP, so will pass on this new one.

Shask

Reaction score
That's what I did too. For Fryette, I went UL. For ENGL, I went Savage. I have the IICP, so will pass on this new one.
I got the Uber, IICP, UL, Powerball, and 6505.

I am considering the Be-dlx, Herbert, and SLO. This Drect looks cool also. I have a 2 channel recto, so I know that sound well.

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am sorta gassing for the IICP module. Seems like it does the Metallica thing as it should.

There are no good mark II pedals on the market it seems…

This recto module reminds me that I don’t really like these style of amps.

Shask

Reaction score
I am sorta gassing for the IICP module. Seems like it does the Metallica thing as it should.

I like the IICP a lot. It reminds me of the Studio Preamps I had years ago.

I basically use it for the Metallica / Dream Theater thing.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

I was running my midrange pot higher on the IICP, as I don't like scooped mids. I was messing around with it earlier, and it seems like I prefer to have it around 9:00-10:30, then have a light to medium scoop with the graphic EQ. I also don't mind the bass at about 10:00-11:00, but you have you readjust the first two sliders some. I don't use it for Metallica, but it definitely is versatile and takes some messing around to get it where it sounds best.

crankyrayhanky

Reaction score
How different would you say the 6505 and SLO are?

I have a 6505, but considering a SLO. To me, it seems like it would be similar to the green on the 6505.

I think this new DRECT looks pretty cool also. Seems pretty true to the Recto sound. However, it would probably be tighter and clearer than an actual Recto, like all the modules are.
6505 and SLO are in the same ballpark. 6505 is like the actual amp in that it has this abrasive sizzle in the high end. You could dial it out with some surgical para eq, but the weird thing is is that ugly raspness is part of the overall magic when you put it into a mix. It also has that bloated low mids thing going on which I think lends itself to being easier to play as it pushes back on you. The low end is bigger.
The SLO is a near perfect mix ready polished sound. Nothing bloated, nothing raspy, the low end isn't huge but in a mix is perfect. This makes the SLO a go to module as it will always work well! But some material might ask for more extreme sounds making the 6505 the right choice.

My DRect arrives Saturday. It seems to have the kerrang in the rhythm that I really dig.

I'll have to do a comparison of 6505 green and the SLO and see how they compare.
I also use a TS or 808x set to no drive or a Grind clone with my amps; I tend to quad track rhythms 2 with OD and 2 with no OD so I hear it both ways often.

Vince

Contributor
Reaction score
Imagine needing a bandaid for a poor design.
I used to think like this until I got into the magical world of boosted amps, particularly rectos, EVH, Victory, and others. Amps are cool by themselves, they can become absolute magic with a good overdrive.

So hey, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, and the TS into a recto is an iconic sound, whether you, particularly, like it or not.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I used to think like this until I got into the magical world of boosted amps, particularly rectos, EVH, Victory, and others. Amps are cool by themselves, they can become absolute magic with a good overdrive.

So hey, don’t knock it until you’ve tried it, and the TS into a recto is an iconic sound, whether you, particularly, like it or not.
Marshalls sound great without a boost, but can get lots of saturation that sounds even more awesome with a boost.

I've used an SD-1, Wylde Overdrive, Custom Badass Modified Overdrive, various TS style pedals (The Scream, Pale Horse, TS Mini, Bonzai, etc), Bluesbreakers, Rats, and Klons to boost amps and preamps.

The Recto seems to need a boost just to be useable. There's the difference.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Marshalls sound great without a boost, but can get lots of saturation that sounds even more awesome with a boost.

I've used an SD-1, Wylde Overdrive, Custom Badass Modified Overdrive, various TS style pedals (The Scream, Pale Horse, TS Mini, Bonzai, etc), Bluesbreakers, Rats, and Klons to boost amps and preamps.

The Recto seems to need a boost just to be useable. There's the difference.
The only Rectifier I've ever played was like a top 3 just plug in sound I've heard on any amp ever