New to Bass guitars, need some advice.

• Thread starter Veritech Zero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Hello, well I've just gotten my first 4 string bass guitar (LTD F-104), and I was looking to see if I could glean some knowledge from my fellow SSOers.

I've been playing guitar for many years, and I generally tune my guitars to either C# standard (C#, F#, B, E, G#, C#) or Drop B (same as other but low B) and I use 60-10 gauge strings. So relatively low tuning, almost to the 5-string bass, 7 string guitar range, and exceptionally thick strings... I was wondering if anyone knew off hand of a set of 4 string bass strings that would serve my need, sound decent, and last a good while. Or am I just better off getting a 5 string bass set and using the lower 4 strings of the set.

the second order of business would be what kind of picks I should be looking at. I know it is probably taboo to be using a pick with a bass guitar, but for now I see no real need to go to fingers since I've worked so hard to perfect my alternate and sweep picking on guitar, I may as well port it over to bass and make the most of it. I currently use Dunlop Max-Grip 1.5mm on guitar, and I will probably stick to those on guitar, but they are just not quite big enough or hard enough for the bass strings, I don't like it when my picks flex, and I can already see the pick wearing away significantly and I haven't had the bass out for more than an hour. I am thinking of getting a thicker V-pick or something and hope that it holds up in time, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

davisjom

Reaction score
for strings, id probably go witht this set:
.130 4 String 34 to 35 Scale Length Balanced
as for picks. when i was trying picks, i was good with 1 mm, but i use 0.60 mm for guitar.
both dunlop.

He's got it right on strings. It'll do the job, but I personally prefer a little more tension in my strings. I would recommend a 135 set instead. But do your own research and go to some guitar shops and play some 5 strings (since you're already tuning in that territory) most will have 130 sets. that will give you an idea of the tension.

Espresto

Reaction score
These can get you exactly what you want, even custom balanced sets for specific tunings:
Circle K Strings

Out of the box though DR's work well for low tunings, especially DDT sets. I'd go for a .135 B string.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice guys, I went with a .135 set and I like it so far, unfortunately I don't think the bridge is quite meant for such thick strings, I have the action on the bridge bottomed out and that big B string is still a good 2.5mm off the 17th fret (the rest are all 1.25mm).

Still looking into picks though, i do like some of what the V-picks have to offer, I just wish they weren't so darn expensive.

Veritech Zero

Jeffy Turbo
Reaction score
right now I don't have a specific choice, I use DR guitar strings, but I'm not set or loyal to anything in specific. I'll look into it though thanks :)

I am curious as to how they are supposed to fix my bridge issues?

KhzDonut

Sam Valentine
Reaction score
Circle K's, as have been mentioned, are awesome for low tuning.

Gravity Picks, V-Picks, 2mm Dunlop Gators, Planetwaves 2mm Duralin, all worth trying. Anything thick and beveled gives a really bell-like quality to picking on bass, very Justin Chancellor sounding.

davisjom

Reaction score
right now I don't have a specific choice, I use DR guitar strings, but I'm not set or loyal to anything in specific. I'll look into it though thanks :)

I am curious as to how they are supposed to fix my bridge issues?

I'm pretty sure D'addario has tapered strings in .135
And like many others before me, Circle K must be mentioned. I have some on my SR706 and they feel amazing. (130 set so it's a bit flubby, but still)

Oscar Stern

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I play Bass too & my suggestion is to try Dean Markley SR2000 Exposed Core Electric Bass Strings (which also work on Acoustic Bass too)
tapered-strings-200124_c-1.jpg
because then the action can be set lower for easier playability. Those so called "Expose Core strings" actually have the Exposed portion of the string wrapped in Metal to protect them so that they're more durable which is the good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.