New to rack setup: can I use a stereo power amp for guitar?

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
Title says most of it. I bought a POD HD pro x and really love using it, but I want to hear it through my Marshall MG412a rather than headphones. There are a few power amps for sale on my local craigslist but the look like they are used for stereo systems and I was just wondering if there was a difference between a power amp in a stereo system and a guitar rig or if they are interchangeable/the same thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Just check how you hook them up. In theory, you'd just want a power amp to reproduce the signal of the POD, so a home stereo amp should do the job fine, but it's pretty easy to find power amps just for guitars on eBay, etc.

Elric

Reaction score
Just check how you hook them up. In theory, you'd just want a power amp to reproduce the signal of the POD, so a home stereo amp should do the job fine, but it's pretty easy to find power amps just for guitars on eBay, etc.

Pretty much this. It'll work but given how inexpensive a Carvin DCM200L, Rocktron V300, Art SLA2, or even Behringer 1U power amp is, you should be able to find a dedicated unit on the cheap and they're handy to have around.

russmuller

Cramblin'
Reaction score
They're interchangeable for the most part. You will probably have to splice some wires to connect them as most home stereo systems are not going to give you 1/4" speaker outputs.

The biggest concern is matching power and load. It is possible damage your amp by running it into an improper load, though it's more likely to result in additional wear-and-tear on the amp's components than an explosive blaze of fail.

And you'll obviously want to disable any cab simulation if you're going through a guitar cabinet, otherwise you're doubling down.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
If you have an MG cab you'd be far better off getting a powered speaker. Or a used B52 AT cab and a cheap 2nd hand PA amp. I've had to use my Dad's old Fisher amp (its a monster) in a pinch for PA stuff and those kinda amps don't do live sound or guitar well for some reason.

Max Griffiths

Reaction score
Well I don't plan on keeping the MG as my main cab forever, I just got it in a trade and want to play around with a head/rack and cab setup. I've always had combos and I want to try something different. I've found a few power amps locally but most are for stereo systems, and run thousands of watts. I mean that would be cool for multiple cabs or some type of venue, but for the $200-$300 they want for them I could find a Rocktron Velocity and be perfectly fine. I may end up grabbing something like that or a carvin would be nice, but I would have to save up a little for one of those.