NGD: 1999 Ibanez RG7620

• Thread starter JSil13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The RG-7 supposed to be quite similar to an Air Norton
Out of curiosity... Have you directly compared them? I have an Air Norton in the neck of my 7620 and it seems very bassy. I'm wondering if the og RG7's are similar or have less bass.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What's the stock neck pickup(s) in your 6-string guitars?

The RG-7 neck pickup is very different to the DiMarzio/IBZ neck model that is commonly found in Prestige RG models. The RG-7 supposed to be quite similar to an Air Norton, while the 6-string DiMarzio/IBZ is similar to a Super 2. I'm not aware of any OEM pickups in 6-string Ibanez models that sound similar to the Air Norton.

Sorry, I meant the Black Winter neck pickup. I never installed the BW 7 string neck into my Jackson before I sold it to a buddy, so I still haven’t tried it.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Out of curiosity... Have you directly compared them? I have an Air Norton in the neck of my 7620 and it seems very bassy. I'm wondering if the og RG7's are similar or have less bass.
No, none of my guitars came with RG-7 pickups. I was going by this, which is why I said "supposed to be".

I've only tried the 6-string Air Norton (way too dark for my tastes), but I'm not aware that the 7-string version is drastically different.

RG7620s are similar era to the JPM signature models, which had Air Norton in the neck, so it wouldn't be a huge surprise if the RG-7 was designed to sound fairly similar to appeal to a similar audience.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some RG7's that I may put in my 7620 some day to get the stock experience. I like the Aftermath bridge pickup it came with but I'm not crazy about the Air Norton. I wouldn't say it's dark but it's very bass heavy, kind of boomy really. It can sound good with my amp or certain AxeFx patches but it requires more tweaking than any other neck pickup I've used.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I have some RG7's that I may put in my 7620 some day to get the stock experience. I like the Aftermath bridge pickup it came with but I'm not crazy about the Air Norton. I wouldn't say it's dark but it's very bass heavy, kind of boomy really. It can sound good with my amp or certain AxeFx patches but it requires more tweaking than any other neck pickup I've used.
By "tweaking" do you mean turning the bass down to 0 and the treble up to 10? :lol:

The D Activator neck (6 & 7-string versions) is much more to my liking.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
By "tweaking" do you mean turning the bass down to 0 and the treble up to 10? :lol:

The D Activator neck (6 & 7-string versions) is much more to my liking.
Plus take out some upper bass/low mids. It's really warm and bassy. A little too warm and bassy.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Plus take out some upper bass/low mids. It's really warm and bassy. A little too warm and bassy.
The "tweaking" really needed is a pickup swap ;)

I much prefer taming a bright pickup than a warm bassy pickup.