NGD: 1999 Ibanez RG7620

• Thread starter JSil13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
These appear to be the only real imperfections in the paint on this one. Even the hardware all looks new. I think this one spent most of it's time in the case. My black one looks like it was dragged behind a car. It should be here by the weekend and I can get some better pictures. I'll also bust out the calipers to measure the neck to compare the two of them. This one has the bubinga stripe on it. It also doesn't have any small dents in the neck which my current one does. Someday I might fill them with super glue.
1711560435505.png
1711560460427.png
well solid finishes that don't chip when you breath on them
It's like Nigel Tufnel said "Don't even look at it."

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My new guitar finally arrived earlier today. This thing is in nearly mint condition. Just those three little chips on the body and the frets could use a crown and polish. The setup right out of the case is real nice and the bridge and all the hardware looks almost new. Even the bar still fits tight in the bridge. The neck does feel a little different than my 99, but I haven't busted the calipers out to see the size difference. I'll probably get to that later. Having trouble formatting pictures to fit on the forum, but I'll figure that out too.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Beauty! I love the gray nickel 7620's, yours looks great!

Does it have stock pickups or something else?

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Beauty! I love the gray nickel 7620's, yours looks great!

Does it have stock pickups or something else?

The ad said Dimarzio Blaze, but I won't be able to tell until I take the strings off to restring it. I still have a set of Imperiums that I got for the black one, but I've done some recording with it recently and the current pickups sounds pretty good. Crunchlab and Liquifire currently.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Everything looks stock, so I wouldn't be surprised if the pickups are also original.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Measuring the necks they're within .5mm of each other with the width at the 1st, 5th, 12th, and 24th fret. Same goes for the neck thickness. I think what feels different is the low B seems to be closer to the fretboard edge on the grey one.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The pickups in the pictures look stock but it's hard for me to tell. Those older necks just feel so good, I don't know what it is.... My 1527 has a nice neck but something about the 7620 necks just feels nicer to me.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Measuring the necks they're within .5mm of each other with the width at the 1st, 5th, 12th, and 24th fret. Same goes for the neck thickness. I think what feels different is the low B seems to be closer to the fretboard edge on the grey one.
Where the lowest string sits in regards to the side of the fretboard is what I check with all guitars I want to buy, especially Ibanez. Have one shifted neck on my SCA220 and it bugs the hell out of me, makes a huge difference in the feel of the neck.
Funny enough, Gibson doesn't have this issue in my experience...

GREAT guitars you got there by the way!

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After taking a closer look at the nut after realizing that the low B is over .5mm closer to the fretboard edge on the grey guitar I noticed that on the treble side it isn't quite flush, and on the bass side there is a slight overhang. Also the screws that hold the nut in place stick out further on this guitar than on my black one. When I go to restring it I'll try to see if I can't slide it over a smidge. The low B keeps sliding off the neck when I'm playing and it's the only thing I dislike about this guitar. That .5mm or so apparently makes a big difference.
1712539459231.jpeg

bmtf

Hammer time
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to "fight" my s7420 again, finally correcting the neck alignment! I had to loosen the neck bolts, hold the neck hella hard while pulling it the right way, and tighten them back carefully. Also moved the nut, didn't have to take the strings off. Have a little overhang now but as long as nothing was overtightened I think everything is fine. These nuts are more of a pain than the later top mount nuts. Lol I do need to take the strings off because part of the nut shims are exposed, again pretty sure it's fine. Guitar finally looks proper in person, don't live with this lil' issue longer than you have too!
Before:
1000002540.png
After:
1000002541.png

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This thread inspired me to "fight" my s7420 again, finally correcting the neck alignment! I had to loosen the neck bolts, hold the neck hella hard while pulling it the right way, and tighten them back carefully. Also moved the nut, didn't have to take the strings off. Have a little overhang now but as long as nothing was overtightened I think everything is fine. These nuts are more of a pain than the later top mount nuts. Lol I do need to take the strings off because part of the nut shims are exposed, again pretty sure it's fine. Guitar finally looks proper in person, don't live with this lil' issue longer than you have too!
Before:
View attachment 141827
After:
View attachment 141828
Awesome man. That’s similar to what mine is like now. The string sits too close to the fret edge and slides off the side of the neck. I have the next few days off. Maybe l will try to take care of it then.

JSil13

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That fixed the issue I was having. I just loosened the two screws on the back of the neck for the nut and slid the nut over a bit. I'll be doing my first tracking with it tomorrow to see how I feel about the stock pickups. I have the set of Imperiums and a Black Winter neck. I would alter the legs on the Black Winter to fit the guitar if I decide to go that route. I do like the neck pickup a lot on my 6 strings.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
I'll be doing my first tracking with it tomorrow to see how I feel about the stock pickups. I have the set of Imperiums and a Black Winter neck. I would alter the legs on the Black Winter to fit the guitar if I decide to go that route. I do like the neck pickup a lot on my 6 strings.
What's the stock neck pickup(s) in your 6-string guitars?

The RG-7 neck pickup is very different to the DiMarzio/IBZ neck model that is commonly found in Prestige RG models. The RG-7 supposed to be quite similar to an Air Norton, while the 6-string DiMarzio/IBZ is similar to a Super 2. I'm not aware of any OEM pickups in 6-string Ibanez models that sound similar to the Air Norton.

Latest posts