NGD: 80's MIJ BC Rich NJ Warlock with Kahler

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Didn't expect to buy a guitar but I found this 80's MIJ NJ series Warlock for really cheap locally and traded my least played 7 string for it. Not sure of the year yet, but it's from the Japan production run of the NJ series, it has a Kahler Flyer (which I'm already thinking about upgrading), it has most likely stock in-house pickups, and an original neck plate which reads "LA California USA". Pretty happy with the find and I knew I had to snatch it up. It sure is heavy though.

Attachments

• IMG_20240630_173630_359.jpg
    IMG_20240630_173630_359.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20240630_173706_625.jpg
    IMG_20240630_173706_625.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20240630_173724_806.jpg
    IMG_20240630_173724_806.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20240630_173741_243.jpg
    IMG_20240630_173741_243.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20240630_173753_961.jpg
    IMG_20240630_173753_961.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 52

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I need to find a replacement screw for the string clamp and/or figure out which Floyd locking nut I could use. If anyone has any input into either of those subjects, please let me know.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think that one is Class Axe era, meaning MIK. The bolt-on ones with the unfinished necks and that plate normally were. Some were made in the US by Kramer (I think), but it said Made in USA on the headstock.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think that one is Class Axe era, meaning MIK. The bolt-on ones with the unfinished necks and that plate normally were. Some were made in the US by Kramer (I think), but it said Made in USA on the headstock.
Can you point me to any more resources to that effect? I've seen tons of similar models that people say are Japanese and assuming that the serial number has the year code in the first digit, that means in was made in or before 1985 which is before they moved any production to Korea. But there's not a lot of great information out there and I'm definitely not a BC Rich expert so I would appreciate any correct information.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Nice catch! I just did some upkeep[ on my USA Warlock NT and Platinum Warlock Bolt-on this weekend (new strings, oiled fretboards, tweaked the tremolo arm holder and spring tension, adjusted truss rod). Some of the old BC Rich guitars play damn nice if given a bit of care.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice catch! I just did some upkeep[ on my USA Warlock NT and Platinum Warlock Bolt-on this weekend (new strings, oiled fretboards, tweaked the tremolo arm holder and spring tension, adjusted truss rod). Some of the old BC Rich guitars play damn nice if given a bit of care.
Yeah this one is going to need a little bit of work and currently doesn't stay in tune at all because it's not even close to set up with the Kahler. For me, part of the fun of buying guitars is working on them and fixing them up, though. I can easily allow myself to go too far, though. Going to be pretty tempting to refinish this one in a crackle.

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can you point me to any more resources to that effect? I've seen tons of similar models that people say are Japanese and assuming that the serial number has the year code in the first digit, that means in was made in or before 1985 which is before they moved any production to Korea. But there's not a lot of great information out there and I'm definitely not a BC Rich expert so I would appreciate any correct information.

I'll dig some stuff up for you. The brand has such a convoluted history that it's hard as to decipher. Even after they went to Class Axe, they continued to brand them NJ Series. The Japanese bolt-on models normally had a chrome MIJ neck plate or a serial number sticker on the headstock.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll dig some stuff up for you. The brand has such a convoluted history that it's hard as to decipher. Even after they went to Class Axe, they continued to brand them NJ Series. The Japanese bolt-on models normally had a chrome MIJ neck plate or a serial number sticker on the headstock.
Alright, I would definitely appreciate any help in that regard.

Damon67

Reaction score
Aside from the finish and the bare neck, that's basically Eddie's guitar in the last season of Stranger Things... which was supposed to be '86.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aside from the finish and the bare neck, that's basically Eddie's guitar in the last season of Stranger Things... which was supposed to be '86.
Yep, it is pretty much the exact same configuration. I have been talking to a few people and doing some research myself and I have pretty definitively narrowed it down to 85 or 86. Apparently after Class Axe took over and moved all production to Korea in 87, they stopped using the Kahler bridges and started using licensed Floyds.

Several other people with the same model have told me it has to be one of those two years. The NJ catalog from 86 states that the NJ models are made in Japan and assembled in the US.

Since it's so similar to Eddie's guitar, I have considered giving it a crackle finish. I've already purchased a Kahler 2300 Pro from the 80s and a Dimarzio D-Activator X for the bridge, but I'm going to keep the originals. Still on the fence about giving it a refinish or keeping it totally original... the finish is in very good shape so I don't know if I'll have the balls to change it, but on the other hand I don't know if I'll have the will to keep from messing with it, lol.

Damon67

Reaction score
I'm still holding on to #1 of 200. A USA copy of an import LOL.

Attachments

• DSC_0125.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg
    964.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0106.jpg
    936.8 KB · Views: 4

iff

Reaction score
Congrats! I used to have one of those NJs but with the curved headstock. It's funny seeing how much the Warlock shape has changed over the years, NJs look so skinny compared to the current ones.

I need to find a replacement screw for the string clamp and/or figure out which Floyd locking nut I could use. If anyone has any input into either of those subjects, please let me know.
Whammy Parts is your friend for Kahler parts.

These are the screws you appear to have - https://whammyparts.com/make-model/...ts/kahler-deluxe-stringlock-thumbscrew-detail

However this is what's supposed to be on that locking nut and buying three of them is still cheaper than a single one of the ones you have - https://whammyparts.com/make-model/...ck-parts/kahler-stringlock-clamp-screw-detail

They also have an eBay shop if the shipping prices are better for you there - https://www.ebay.com/str/whammyparts

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats! I used to have one of those NJs but with the curved headstock. It's funny seeing how much the Warlock shape has changed over the years, NJs look so skinny compared to the current ones.

Whammy Parts is your friend for Kahler parts.

These are the screws you appear to have - https://whammyparts.com/make-model/...ts/kahler-deluxe-stringlock-thumbscrew-detail

However this is what's supposed to be on that locking nut and buying three of them is still cheaper than a single one of the ones you have - https://whammyparts.com/make-model/...ck-parts/kahler-stringlock-clamp-screw-detail

They also have an eBay shop if the shipping prices are better for you there - https://www.ebay.com/str/whammyparts
Awesome, thanks for the tip. I had looked at Whammy Parts but somehow I missed those ones.