NGD: A Strat dream come true

atimoc

deus ex machina
Contributor
Reaction score
My first guitar was a cheap strat knockoff, and partly because of that I've been wanting a quality Stratocaster ever since I started playing. Initially my #1 choice was a Jimmie Vaughan signature model, but since I couldn't find one used around here, I started looking for other second-hand alternatives, and now I'm happy I did, since consequently I stumbled upon this. Behold!

strat1.jpg

What the hell is it then? Most of Fender strats look so much alike that it's hard to tell a MIM standard from a MIA custom shop model by just looking at pictures. It's a MIJ '62 reissue with an F serial number, which dates it back to 1986-1987. However, some of those originally vintage-ish features have been pimped slightly:
-Vintage frets replaced by medium jumbos
-Trem block switched to a bigger one
-Pickups switched to Fender Tex-Mex
-Second tone pot replaced by a Fralin blender pot

strat2.jpg

strat3.jpg

strat4.jpg

strat5.jpg

I'm really digging this one. The body has been beat to shit as you can see, but on certain guitars that looks really good. I think single-color Fenders are some of them, then again for example PRS 10-tops are not :lol: The neck is in great condition though, and I definitely appreciate the medium jumbo frets even though they kill most of the collector value of the guitar. Never been a huge fan of the really small vintage frets as far as playability goes. I'm not sure if the Tex-Mex pickups would be my ultimate choice, but they're good at what they do, i.e. rock, rock and more rock. For more mellow tones something else in the neck position might work better.

Anyhow! I think this one is a keeper (hmm, doesn't everybody say this on a NGD?), it plays really well (low action and withstands some trem wankery too), sounds like a good strat should, and the unexplainable mojo factor of a guitar that is nearly as old as the player himself is definitely there. I have never played a MIA '62 reissue so I can't do a comparison between the two, but at least I can't spot any finish or build issues that would indicate inferior craftmanship.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

auxioluck

Metal Teddy Bear
Reaction score
I'll be honest, Strats aren't my cup of tea, but that's a really cool score! Congrats! :yesway:

Ken

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow, that volume knob looks REALLY close to the bridge pickup. Congrats on the score!. :D

drmosh

Sir Paul of the Mosh
Contributor
Reaction score
I used to have a '67 reissue which I stupidly sold, but it also had the volume knob that close to the pickup. It was my first guitar so my picking evolved around the volume knob being in the way all the time, took me a while to get that out of my system.
Now all my guitars are built to have the volume knob the fuck out of the way :)

Stengah_2012

Back from the dead
Reaction score
All regular Strats have the volume that close to the pickup. It takes some getting used to, but ultimately I like it more than having the volume moved back out of the way.

Congrats on the Strat, it looks great. I love white Strats more than any guitar. :yesway:

metalgod72

Reaction score
I am not really a strat guy either, mostly because when I play one I don't sound like Malmsteen, but that is an awesome strat! Congrats!

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
:yesway: Congrats! Everyone needs a Strat in their collection at some point in there life, and thats a fine one you have there. :cool:

Reaction score
I've always wanted one of those Robert Cray Strats, because I cant stand trems, and they come with hardtail versions of the Fender vintage trems.

Nice score though, i've always loved the tone of a nice strat through my Fender Bassman, pure sex i tell ya.

Congrats man, shes a beauty.