NGD Abasi Concepts Legion 8 sage blue babyyyyy

• Thread starter chipflavour
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chipflavour

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm mostly a lurker here. I only really visit this forum sometimes to check for updates about gear. I got the heads up that the Larada Legion were on sale about a week ago. I got mine yesterday and I've had some fun with it for a while, but I feel like I should write a review to inform people whether the Legion series is worth it.

Keep in mind that I do not have much experience in playing guitars. The two guitars I own right now are an Ibanez RGDIX7MPB and a Schecter Red Reign Apocalypse Solo-II, which are both under the 1200 USD mark. Because I don’t have experience with expensive brands, I feel that can't give an accurate representation of the quality of a guitar but I'll try my best.

And just a heads up that I only have phone pictures so apologies for the quality, I don't actually have a good camera on me. Also embeds don’t work so I apologise for having you guys click the links, if it’s not allowed to have external links to images then I will edit this post to have attachments.

First thing to go off on, I can't stop gushing about how well this guitar feels to play. The setup is low out of the box, there's very little buzzing except on the F# string which I feel like is fine because it's a giant string anyways, it's basically going to be impossible to have no buzz when that thing goes all over the place. It’s also about the same weight as my Ibanez and Schecter, which is to say light.

Here's what it looks like:
https://files.catbox.moe/j0kjtm.jpg
https://files.catbox.moe/pm3pty.jpg

This is my first 8 string guitar and to me it doesn't feel that bad adjusting from playing only 6 and 7s. The multiscale feels extremely natural. I've only tried one other multiscale and that was the Ormsby Goliath while I was test driving guitars in a store, and to me it felt like it was way too much and I felt sick to my stomach fathoming how annoying it was to play cowboy chords.

I can’t really judge fretwork because it’s not something I have much knowledge in, but if there’s no sharp fret ends and no notes choking out, it must be good. The frets are seated nicely on the ebony fretboard and the abalone fret markers and side dots are in almost perfect position. But I have to say the ebony fretboard isn’t what I really like, there’s a bit too much reddish brown for my liking:

https://files.catbox.moe/xzvtbb.jpg

But anyways, let’s go over the main reason to buy the Larada: the body shape. It’s such a unique and aesthetically striking shape. It’s very divisive though, a bunch of my friends told me that they didn’t like it and thought it looked ugly. But to me, I honestly adore it. It’s so different from the conventional shapes such as Les Paul or Strat. But ultimately, if you don’t like the shape, this guitar isn’t for you. This type of shape inhibits playing the lower notes on the upper frets, but the neck joint and the super deep cutaway makes playing everything else super easy. I find it a bit confusing about what fret position I am on sometimes though because I subconsciously think I’m on a higher fret than I should be because of how the single cut joins at the 12th fret.

This was the main reason what drew me into buying one, I never really listened to Animals as Leaders but I still admired Tosin, I watched a lot of his interviews and his playing and I’ve been GASing for the shape ever since I saw the Ibanez prototype 3 years ago. And while I have really no practical use for an 8 string, since I mostly listen to and jam to anime music now, I’ve been kinda wanting one for 3 years at this point, and since this is a limited colour I pretty much had to buy it otherwise I will get FOMO and feel like kicking myself in the face for all of eternity.

But let’s go over some real talk now. Who cares about the shape if it doesn’t have stainless steel frets, if it doesn’t have multiscale, if it doesn’t have some new pickup brand that’s been hyped up and shilled, or it’s not in a solid colour because burl looks like vomit. Well thankfully it has all of those things lol. Copy and pasting the specs list for the lazy:
  • Color: Blue Sage / Gloss
  • Construction: Bolt-on
  • Body Material: Basswood
  • Neck Material: Wenge
  • Fretboard Material: Ebony
  • Inlays: Pearloid Offset Dots
  • Scale: 27.5”-25.5” Multiscale
  • Frets: 24 X-Jumbo Stainless Steel
  • Fretboard Radius: 16”-21.5”
  • Neck Shape: Thin ‘U’
  • Nut Material: Graphite
  • Truss Rod: 2-Way Adjustable (Spoke Wheel) w/2 Reinforcement Rods
  • Bridge Pickup: Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi
  • Neck Pickup: Fishman Fluence Tosin Abasi
  • Controls: Volume (Push-Pull)/5-Way Switch
  • Hardware Color: Black
  • Bridge: Individual Saddles
  • Tuners: Abasi Locking
  • Strings: D’Addario 9.5 NYXL + .056, .074
The finish is called Sage Blue, and it looks like what you would get if you mix baby blue with a little bit of grey. It’s a very muted colour, but it still evokes an icy feeling to it somehow. I would have personally preferred it if it was in a 2-sheen finish (gloss bevels and matte body), or in shell pink, but I am perfectly fine with this colour. Tbh, I am not a huge fan of solid colours, and I much prefer transparent tops, but there was something about the burl tops which I did not like, and I picked this one because I liked it the most.

In terms of the pickup sounds, they sound good. But I am not a person who is fussing about pickup choices and I don't care too much. I'm a plug and play type of player, I just load up Neural DSP plugin and use the presets with zero tweaking involved. But I have to say the sustain is incredibly unreal, maybe it's because my Ibanez is a piece of junk but it sustains like 4 times longer.

It has pretty much everything that a modern instrument needs, it’s pretty much perfect for gigging or recording. If you just want a Larada, this is the way to go imo. From my understanding, the J Laradas are 1300 more expensive but have a 2 sheen finish and asymmetrical neck, and the made in USA, which are 1000-1500 more, have much more unique finishes, a set-thru neck, and more wood choices. I really see no reason to purchase anything above a Legion for me personally, I am absolutely happy with how it turned out and I am not kicking myself for not going for the more expensive options.

About the price, I do think it's a bit too expensive for what I would like. Living in Australia means I face customs fees for importing and meaning I end up paying an extra 540 AUD (approx 400 USD), so it's about a 20% markup, so roughly I spent around 3700 AUD (2600 USD). While the price is baked with the case, I personally do NOT need a case at all. I am strictly a bedroom musician and pretty much a hikki, I bought this guitar unashamedly with neetbux. So I felt a bit sick to my stomach considering that I could have gotten something like 2 Ormsbys for the price, especially when they are made in the same factory and have the same QC.

There are a few gripes I have with this guitar though.

Let's go over cosmetic defects. There are 2 specks of dust trapped under the finish which are shown in the two images here:

https://files.catbox.moe/ha9mr7.jpg

https://files.catbox.moe/29eftc.jpg

The routes for the electronics and the pickup route isn't clean either. It's done mostly well but there are a few areas where it's incredibly sloppy. In the neck pocket there is a slight chip on the side.

https://files.catbox.moe/1026p6.jpg

All in all these dont affect how the instrument sounds or plays but it's a bit disappointing that a 2000 dollar instrument has these quality issues which can easily be fixed (wood filler for sloppy routes, dust speck by refinishing).

I don’t know if it’s the string spacing or the nut but I feel like the high E can slip off the fretboard more easily on my other guitars. But I have a strong feeling it’s related to the saddles, I just don’t really know how to adjust it; there’s no manual and it doesn’t work like my Ibanez bridge does and it’s driving me mental trying to figure out if it’s possible to tilt it inwards. If anyone can, pls help me.

I also dislike the leg cutout, when I play guitar I usually cross my left leg over my right leg and lift it slightly up. The part where the cutout ends rests on my right leg and it feels uncomfortable as heck. I pretty much have to hold the guitar differently while I'm sitting unless I want to subject myself to feeling bad when I play. I know that probably no one else sits like me but it's my review and I am going over my personal thoughts.

Pickup selector being sideways is a pretty big no-no to me as well. I usually jam to songs live and I want to change pickups in the middle of them, but because it's sideways I have to put more energy into adjusting a pickup. I really think it would have been much better angled and there is absolutely room for it to be there, Tosin definitely went for form over function for this. This is not a dealbreaker but I can't see anyone actually preferring a horizontal switch over an angled one.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chipflavour

Reaction score
TL;DR:
Pros:
- Setup is surprisingly good right out of the box. It's very playable and I think it's probably because it was shipped inside a case.

- Extremely aesthetic and unique striking shape, the main reason to get this guitar in the first place. It has a place in any guitarist's collection.

- Highly specced and ticks all of the boxes of a modern guitar; it's very hard to find a production 8 string guitar with multiscale with stainless steel frets and aftermarket pickups that looks good.

Cons:
- QC isn't good enough for this price point (maybe my expectations are too high honestly).

- Sideway pickup selector makes changing pickups a bit awkward.

- Single cutaway makes it hard to reach the higher frets on the lowest strings.

- No manual on how to adjust the hardware. Im trying to figure out how to lower the string saddle on the high E but it won't go down anymore. It doesn't work like the bridge on my Ibanez does. If anyone can help me out that will be great!

- Limited production runs means you have to pretty much impulse buy, since there is no way to try them out beforehand.

Overall verdict: I really enjoy this guitar. It feels amazing to play and while I do feel unhappy with the cosmetic defects, it's not the end of the world. I would rate my Larada an 8/10, but I don't know what else I'm gonna play on it apart from DOOM OST. Would appreciate some non-metal 8-string recs if there are any :)

Bottom line is if you want a Larada, get it! But it is on the higher end of made in Asia guitar pricing, and you have to be perfectly comfortable with the fact that you could have gotten an equally good guitar with comparable quality (for example, Ormsby even though I hate how they look and how they play), for much less money involved. But there’s really no other guitar like it on the market, and

Hope you guys enjoyed my review, please leave a like if you did as it will make me feel appreciated for writing out this much stuff. :3

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them!!

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Thank you for your review :) Very informative. I do the leg thing too but I do my right leg . It might be okay with classical on one of these but I don't. Have to get one I guess.

Keep up the good posts. Should make a video!

bassisace

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all this.

Abasi Concepts seem to have great customer service. If you didn’t already do it, if I were you I’d email them pictures and a description of the finish errors and bad electronics.

Im sure they’ll compensate you.

Many companies put out pristine 2000$ instruments. I’m sure they will as well when they get better QC. It’s our job to make sure they get better QC by providing them feedback.

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
I'd argue that the pickup switch placement is ideal for playing live/standing up. Nice guitar!!

2wheel_Ted

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
New Larada Legion and first-time 8-string guitar owner as well.

Great write up. I think your perspective on quality is well thought out and I agree, that having received my Legion, I don't see why I'd pay "more" for a J or Master series, strictly speaking from a play-ability and feature standpoint. That said, not all motivation is rational(GAS), and if there was the perfect color in either of those more expensive series, AND if they were actually available, I might bite if $ allows.

Speaking of minor defects, it's interesting how different the context is with this genre/community as to what constitutes a defect or blemish. I'm not arguing with any of the criticisms, just pointing out how the customer QC evaluation seems to be so different compared to other guitar genres/communities that I'm more in sync with.

For example, I've played (not owned) several Selmer style gypsy jazz acoustic guitars that are 3-4 times the cost of this Legion we just bought. These were all hand-made by small luthiers in N. America, France, and Spain, who maybe make ~30-150 max units TOTAL a year. Of course, the exclusivity, exotic woods, and individual luthier voodoo that makes them unique, special, achieving some magical tone and feel are all contributing factors to the price.

However, when there is a small "blemish" in the finish or visible evidence of these guitars being completely hand-made and not machined, that community usually embraces it as an example of the "human" involvement in creating the instrument. Of course, tone really is everything in that genre, so that helps to forgive these hand-made "quirks". Funnily, buyers often look for the best example of a batch, expecting that there be differences within a run.

Again, I'm not arguing against what folks in other communities like this one define as excellent quality or defective. I'm just musing the different points of views on the matter.

Interesting.

CW7

Reaction score
TL;DR:
Pros:
- Setup is surprisingly good right out of the box. It's very playable and I think it's probably because it was shipped inside a case.

- Extremely aesthetic and unique striking shape, the main reason to get this guitar in the first place. It has a place in any guitarist's collection.

- Highly specced and ticks all of the boxes of a modern guitar; it's very hard to find a production 8 string guitar with multiscale with stainless steel frets and aftermarket pickups that looks good.

Cons:
- QC isn't good enough for this price point (maybe my expectations are too high honestly).

- Sideway pickup selector makes changing pickups a bit awkward.

- Single cutaway makes it hard to reach the higher frets on the lowest strings.

- No manual on how to adjust the hardware. Im trying to figure out how to lower the string saddle on the high E but it won't go down anymore. It doesn't work like the bridge on my Ibanez does. If anyone can help me out that will be great!

- Limited production runs means you have to pretty much impulse buy, since there is no way to try them out beforehand.

Overall verdict: I really enjoy this guitar. It feels amazing to play and while I do feel unhappy with the cosmetic defects, it's not the end of the world. I would rate my Larada an 8/10, but I don't know what else I'm gonna play on it apart from DOOM OST. Would appreciate some non-metal 8-string recs if there are any :)

Bottom line is if you want a Larada, get it! But it is on the higher end of made in Asia guitar pricing, and you have to be perfectly comfortable with the fact that you could have gotten an equally good guitar with comparable quality (for example, Ormsby even though I hate how they look and how they play), for much less money involved. But there’s really no other guitar like it on the market, and

Hope you guys enjoyed my review, please leave a like if you did as it will make me feel appreciated for writing out this much stuff. :3

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them!!

Nice write up. Glad you dig it overall.
On the hardware- it’s possible the high e saddle is all the way down. I have a J Larada 7 and it actually had the same problem. To get nice, Tosin like slammed action, I had to have my tech file out a small amount as the saddle itself is resting on bridge (and the neck is already as straight as an arrow). If you take a close pic of the saddles it will probably be easy to tell if it’s indeed all the way down or not. Just a heads up as to what mine required for the lowest action possible.

bassisace

Reaction score
New Larada Legion and first-time 8-string guitar owner as well.

Great write up. I think your perspective on quality is well thought out and I agree, that having received my Legion, I don't see why I'd pay "more" for a J or Master series, strictly speaking from a play-ability and feature standpoint. That said, not all motivation is rational(GAS), and if there was the perfect color in either of those more expensive series, AND if they were actually available, I might bite if $ allows.

Speaking of minor defects, it's interesting how different the context is with this genre/community as to what constitutes a defect or blemish. I'm not arguing with any of the criticisms, just pointing out how the customer QC evaluation seems to be so different compared to other guitar genres/communities that I'm more in sync with.

For example, I've played (not owned) several Selmer style gypsy jazz acoustic guitars that are 3-4 times the cost of this Legion we just bought. These were all hand-made by small luthiers in N. America, France, and Spain, who maybe make ~30-150 max units TOTAL a year. Of course, the exclusivity, exotic woods, and individual luthier voodoo that makes them unique, special, achieving some magical tone and feel are all contributing factors to the price.

However, when there is a small "blemish" in the finish or visible evidence of these guitars being completely hand-made and not machined, that community usually embraces it as an example of the "human" involvement in creating the instrument. Of course, tone really is everything in that genre, so that helps to forgive these hand-made "quirks". Funnily, buyers often look for the best example of a batch, expecting that there be differences within a run.

Again, I'm not arguing against what folks in other communities like this one define as excellent quality or defective. I'm just musing the different points of views on the matter.
Interesting.

I understand where you’re coming from.

Ibanez, Solar and a lot of other companies have been putting out pristine guitars in the 1000-2000$ price range - with only a minute percentage of flawed builds - for long enough that customers are used to that standard.

I see absolutely no reason why someone should pay 2000+$ for a flawed guitar. That’s just my opinion, I’m not forcing it on anyone.

A minor finish problem is not a big deal and should warrant in my opinion a price decrease on the guitar, but a warped neck, bad pickup alignement, a bad fretjob are more important problems that require an instrument replacement.

My viewpoint is that the market has a part in dictating what is acceptable and not acceptable. If Solar and other compagnies sell guitars with finish defects with a 200-300$ rebate and brand them as B stock in their sales advertisement, then I expect QC at Abasi to spot those blemishes and list the guitars as B stock, or at least give the customer a rebate when said customer communicates with them, which I’m sure they do because their customer service is stellar.

At the end of the day, to each his own and the goal is to be happy with the instrument.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! As someone who has been considering one of these, I really appreciate your taking the time to write this all down.

Yelir

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you for the write-up! I had a laugh seeing the Jake plush. This kind of muted color really reminds me of BMO.

I would absolutely purchase a similar model in shell pink, maybe I'll move some of my herd to make it happen! :hbang:

chipflavour

Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to let you know an update after owning the guitar for 3 weeks.

I wrote my review a day after I received it so of course I didn't have time to fully inspect it. I noticed much more cosmetic flaws that I initially missed which you can see in the gallery: https://imgur.com/a/IYGjZ60

I reckon this guitar is actually still better than my other 2 in terms of playability and tone, but like I said in my review, I feel kinda scammed when I could actually get 2 Ormsby with arguably better QC even though they came out of the same factory for the same price.

Not to mention how extremely annoying the high E string slippage is, apparently it's intentional to have the edge of the fretboard be that close to the string, but I noticed it's most likely the shape of the frets that are the culprit, they are cut slanted inwards so there's not a room for clearance. I never had to deal with this issue on my other two guitars.

The routing of the guitar's backplate + the high E string slippage are the two things that make me want to return the guitar. The routing is actually so poorly done and it's horrifying that they actually just let it through instead of trying to correct it.

I got into contact with Ivan and he said he will cover a full refund of the guitar + shipping, and also cover return shipping. I've never done anything like this before so if anyone could offer me advice I would appreciate it greatly. Figuring out a method to ship the guitar back from a different country is already making my head hurt.

It’s pretty sad seeing how this guitar turned out when the QC on my Schecter is actually better, when they turned out from the same factory and apparently checked by the same people?? And while I was fine with these things in the beginning, giving that these issues were mostly cosmetic, seeing other peoples Larada Legions in the Megathread and reading their own personal opinions made me feel like I was being too lenient. For those who got a spotless instrument, I have to say I am jealous.

I’m not dropping my rating because I genuinely think this is a sick guitar and I rated it based on its merits, deducting points for the poor QC and some nitpicky things. It could have easily been a 9.5 for me if the finish was perfect and the fretboard was slightly wider for the high E string. I'm going to say I am hopeful for future runs to be better, final FINAL verdict is if you decide to buy a Legion model, you have to accept that it's probably gonna be scuffed in some way, but it will sound good and play great (depending on your technique).

Joan Maal

Reaction score
Thank you for writing such a thorough review. Fantastic to get a preview of these guitar before you buy it

Cockandballs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys, just want to let you know an update after owning the guitar for 3 weeks.

I wrote my review a day after I received it so of course I didn't have time to fully inspect it. I noticed much more cosmetic flaws that I initially missed which you can see in the gallery: https://imgur.com/a/IYGjZ60

I reckon this guitar is actually still better than my other 2 in terms of playability and tone, but like I said in my review, I feel kinda scammed when I could actually get 2 Ormsby with arguably better QC even though they came out of the same factory for the same price.

Not to mention how extremely annoying the high E string slippage is, apparently it's intentional to have the edge of the fretboard be that close to the string, but I noticed it's most likely the shape of the frets that are the culprit, they are cut slanted inwards so there's not a room for clearance. I never had to deal with this issue on my other two guitars.

The routing of the guitar's backplate + the high E string slippage are the two things that make me want to return the guitar. The routing is actually so poorly done and it's horrifying that they actually just let it through instead of trying to correct it.

I got into contact with Ivan and he said he will cover a full refund of the guitar + shipping, and also cover return shipping. I've never done anything like this before so if anyone could offer me advice I would appreciate it greatly. Figuring out a method to ship the guitar back from a different country is already making my head hurt.

It’s pretty sad seeing how this guitar turned out when the QC on my Schecter is actually better, when they turned out from the same factory and apparently checked by the same people?? And while I was fine with these things in the beginning, giving that these issues were mostly cosmetic, seeing other peoples Larada Legions in the Megathread and reading their own personal opinions made me feel like I was being too lenient. For those who got a spotless instrument, I have to say I am jealous.

I’m not dropping my rating because I genuinely think this is a sick guitar and I rated it based on its merits, deducting points for the poor QC and some nitpicky things. It could have easily been a 9.5 for me if the finish was perfect and the fretboard was slightly wider for the high E string. I'm going to say I am hopeful for future runs to be better, final FINAL verdict is if you decide to buy a Legion model, you have to accept that it's probably gonna be scuffed in some way, but it will sound good and play great (depending on your technique).

as a rule of thumb, I just stay away from World Music/Korean Made guitars. It's like eating at a McDonald's 95% of the time it never looks like the commercial, you enjoy it while its' going down for the five minutes, and then 30 minutes later you hate your self and you wish I did not just spend more money for proper food. My thoughts anyway. the Abasi J and USA stuff is supreme, but you get what you pay for.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear man. Those things aren't cheap.

There's a thread here with a metric ton of pages about this whole trainweck that is Abasi Guitars. If I were to paraphrase @MaxOfMetal...

"If I had to guess, they're just pushing these out as fast as they can, and aren't really picky with QA/QC as they know there's an army of fanbois and hype jumpers willing to grab these no matter what. There's just no incentive to do better".

Sadly this is becoming the norm these days. Same thing with Solar.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Sadly this is becoming the norm these days. Same thing with Solar.

The Solar guitars with flaws way less severe than what's described on the Laradas get discounted significantly. They also start at like $600, not $2000+. That doesn't really seem like the same thing at all.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The Solar guitars with flaws way less severe than what's described on the Laradas get discounted significantly. They also start at like $600, not $2000+. That doesn't really seem like the same thing at all.

It is. You just pay less for them. Lack of QC is lack of QC, regardless of the price point. Same shit with Strandberg, which sits in the middle.