NGD: Bernie Rico Jr Hesperian Slant 824 (pics, vid & LONG story inside)

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FrancescoFiligoi

Guitarist in Within Destruction / Abiogenesis
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what made you go with purple if it's a color you have trouble discerning? Not making fun, legitimately curious.

I first saw this finish on another BRJ, this one:

28177424933976509192010.jpg

To me it looks purple with some blue, sometimes I don't perceive the difference that well. I looked at this pic and it was glorious, so I chose this one :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Imbrium998

Bangs head here
Reaction score
Not trying to completely derail, but you should put some BKP soapbars into your DC800. Well worth in imo.

On to that quilt...really nice and deep looking finish. I love it!

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Guitar looks beautiful, Francesco. Sucks to hear about all the pains in the butt you had to go through to actually receive it and some of those flaws are signs of no-care-in-a-rush work. If anything ever bothers you with it, feel free to trade it for my RG550. :p

JK. Happy NGD!

Minoin

Scientist
Reaction score
First off, insanely beautiful guitar! That BRJ throws his business in the bin like that is beyond me.

Second, classy of Nick to refund you the money for the BRJ custom!!

Third, go and enjoy this beauty and forget the shitstorm!

Gigganigga

Reaction score
Well,the ''People don't own a Rico and speak shit'' part is true.Same shit with S7 and it almost started on Etherial as well.
Nice guitar btw

EDIT:
Guys like Curt.

It's true because things like this actually happen...

Who would even think it's okay for a "professional" guitar company to make mistakes like that on guitars that are several thousands of dollars in cost?

Both of those companies have fallen off the deep end with their quality control.

Hell, Ola Englund even left S7.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I thought you sold this!

Nice top man, epic hassle though. Your review was very fairly worded man, I hope a lot of people get to read it before considering approaching BRJ...

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
First of all... you are a very talented guitar player. Nice work!

Secondly... guitar looks awesome. BUT, the hole, the side dots and the odd glue job/neck pocket in the pic where you said "drunk side dots" would drive me batty. That should never make it out of a shop like his. Glad to hear it plays well because that is what really matters but the NGD would be a huge bummer for me... especially after waiting so long and getting your hopes up.

FrancescoFiligoi

Reaction score
Not trying to completely derail, but you should put some BKP soapbars into your DC800. Well worth in imo.

On to that quilt...really nice and deep looking finish. I love it!

The Carvin has been sold months ago unfortunately, but anyway BKP is not making soapbar sized 8 string pickups (yet). Duncan does though!

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
It must feel great weathering that shit storm. I'm very glad you and the other guys are starting to receive their well deserved axes. The top is beautiful and it seems you escaped with only a couple of scrapes. Congrats man and enjoy!:hbang:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that orange one - that's the one in the video with my red 8 where Bernie mentions that it belonged to me (but was yours, actually. I don't have any orange or 7s with him). Also, I'd bet that Bernie knows the order was canceled because Nick sends those downpayments to Bernie. I wanted to get out of my custom last year because it was a 3 year wait, too, but I would have had to do a chargeback on Nick, and he didn't do anything wrong. But it's cool that he's stepping up and taking responsibility for something that wasn't his fault. That's some good karma right there!

It's interesting about that hole and the side dots, because mine was the same way. It's definitely a systematic error in the shop, there, and needs to be dealt with immediately. But it looks like more than a couple came out with that issue.

77zark77

Reaction score
So, at BRJ, you have to specify if you want aligned side dots :spock:

Nice guitar though and congrats.........for your patience

FrancescoFiligoi

Reaction score
It's interesting about that hole and the side dots, because mine was the same way. It's definitely a systematic error in the shop, there, and needs to be dealt with immediately. But it looks like more than a couple came out with that issue.

I bet even the NGDs that don't mention them actually have "drunk" side dots. Maybe not as bas as mines, but still.

When I first sent these pics to Bernie he apologized and said that since the guitars are entirely built by hand, mistakes can happen. I don't drink it but now it's past, so whatever :)

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Congratulations and well done on your patience and perseverance dude, patience of a Saint for sure with this build.

I know your cool to live with the wonky dots and the other minor issues, I woudl be too as the overall look and feel is so awesome! But just in general, the excuse these's are hand built and mistakes happen is pretty lame, may have missed if you said how much you paid but going by other BRJ custom builds I am guessing it was ALOT! So for that amount of money hand built or not, those "mistakes" are unacceptable.

Really glad the guitar is awesome though coz anyone deserves a decent guitar after all that sh1t its you mate!

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Good god man, I got an ulcer and heart palpitations just READING about what you went through. Sorry to hear about that, but in the end it looks like you got a pretty sweet-sounding and sweet-playing guitar, cosmetic issues aside.

FrancescoFiligoi

Reaction score
Good god man, I got an ulcer and heart palpitations just READING about what you went through. Sorry to hear about that, but in the end it looks like you got a pretty sweet-sounding and sweet-playing guitar, cosmetic issues aside.

Yea, but I swear I still have nightmares about the situation...insanely timewasting and stressful.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar man! Sorry it was such a headache though, I'll definitely be putting that shop on my "do not contact" list. Thanks for sharing!

101stCentury

Reaction score
Man, that's a horror story. . . Glad you got this beauty out of the ordeal, though. Enjoy, you definitely earned it!