NGD: Bernie Rico Jr Vixen 7-String III: Gun Metal Gray (Photos Galore!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
personally i see no reason in getting a 7 string unless its a baritone. i prefer smaller strings. they just sound brighter to me.

I think you overrate the difference in tension between 25.5 and 27. I prefer lighter strings too. However the difference in tension between a given string at 25.5 and 27 is about the same as going from say a .042 to a .044. Minute difference. I'd argue there's little point to altering the way a guitar plays over about 1 pound of tension.

I like baritones, but saying there's "no point" in owning a non-baritone 7 seems a little over the top to me. For me I see no reason to get a baritone because I'm happy with the how it's setup now :)

Awesome guitar :hbang: The gunmetal finish is f-ing beautiful!
Congrats on having the sickest V's ever!

Thanks man.

:metal: Very nice there Nick!! The grey is fucking awesome! That's a sick collection as well.

Thanks dude :)

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
His website is being revamped and is very outdated, ignore it. He builds all kinds of scales. I know dudes who have his baritones as well as shorter scales like 25.0 and 24.75.

Bernie is not really a computer guy and had someone else make his original site for him, which really didn't do him any favors. It's been improved in recent months in terms of better photos here and there, but the raw content is still from 2001 and is going to be replaced.

Ah, that explains it :).

Nick, this will probably forever remain theoretical and a wishful dream, but how does you go about ordering a BRJ guitar? Is it done through a dealer as per his (outdated) website, or can you contact him directly?

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ah, that explains it :).

Nick, this will probably forever remain theoretical and a wishful dream, but how does you go about ordering a BRJ guitar? Is it done through a dealer as per his (outdated) website, or can you contact him directly?

Contact me and I can put you in touch with him after I get a sense of what you're looking for.

PirateMetalTroy

The Tooth Fairy
Reaction score
I gotta say...I hate 'em. I think they look terrible, but I'm probably the only one that does.

Ignore me. I'm just angry that I can't drop $3000 on a guitar.

caughtinamosh

SS.org-er
Reaction score
I gotta say...I hate 'em. I think they look terrible, but I'm probably the only one that does.

3K!!! :eek:

Ok, make that a "very long" while :lol:.

I must say man, this design isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but I can definitely appreciate good work, even though it's not to my preference - not that I'm saying you can't :).

My personal favourite of BRJs designs is his Jekyll. An RG shape with a twist.

My dream BRJ:

Jekyll design
mahogany wings - neck thru construction
BK Painkiller (bridge) and BK Cold Sweat (neck)
Hipshot fixed bridge (black)
Graph Tech String Saver saddles and Black Tusq nut
single volume knob
maple neck - slim back profile, 20" radius
glossy white finish
ebony fretboard - no inlays, black side dots
27.5" scale

Reaction score
Again ,this is by far the nicest axe you have/had that I know. I love quilts and flames but Berni knows how to make a perfect solid finish better than any other builder that I know.

Evn his Black guitars are awesome ,which is not common!

Cheers man! You have a jewel there!

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score

What makes you think it was $3000? This guitar would cost around $2400, or even less if it had a non-metallic finish. His prices are super reasonable, some places seem to overcharge sometimes though and it gives people the wrong impression.

Again ,this is by far the nicest axe you have/had that I know. I love quilts and flames but Berni knows how to make a perfect solid finish better than any other builder that I know.

Evn his Black guitars are awesome ,which is not common!

Cheers man! You have a jewel there!

That's definitely true, his paintwork is second to none, but he does amazing figured tops and exotic wood stuff as well. Just needs to get in the habit of posting more photos of his stuff :)

3K!!! :eek:

Ok, make that a "very long" while :lol:.

I must say man, this design isn't exactly my cup of tea either, but I can definitely appreciate good work, even though it's not to my preference - not that I'm saying you can't :).

My personal favourite of BRJs designs is his Jekyll. An RG shape with a twist.

My dream BRJ:

Jekyll design
mahogany wings - neck thru construction
BK Painkiller (bridge) and BK Cold Sweat (neck)
Hipshot fixed bridge (black)
Graph Tech String Saver saddles and Black Tusq nut
single volume knob
maple neck - slim back profile, 20" radius
glossy white finish
ebony fretboard - no inlays, black side dots
27.5" scale

That would be about $2300 before factoring in BKPs.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
yup, Bernie's prices are great compared to Jackson and ESP's custom shops , I can vouch for that. :lol:

When Zimbloth gave me the quote on my quilt top Jekyll I was like "Really? ....that's not a typo?"

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
yup, Bernie's prices are great compared to Jackson and ESP's custom shops , I can vouch for that. :lol:

When Zimbloth gave me the quote on my quilt top Jekyll I was like "Really? ....that's not a typo?"

Yep Mike, that's the response I get pretty much every time I give someone a quote. Public perception is definitely not reality in this case :yesway:

jb91

Reaction score
played it at nicks last night, unbelievable guitar!

definitely getting a rico as my next non-parker.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
So how are you liking the Holydiver in this one?

Oh my God dude... the Holydiver is insane! I was waiting to spend more time with it before posting a review or some thoughts, since you asked... the HD might be my new favorite BKP. It's really thick, punchy and organic, with really rich complex midrange and warm yet clear highs that really sing.

The HD has an Alnico V magnet, so I wasn't sure if it would perform as well on a 7-string tuned ADGCFAD as it does for my customers who primarily use it in their 6'ers. The stuff I do with my band requires a thick, aggressive, brutal tone with awesome pick attack, definition and tightness. I also like to have a great lead tone with a lot of character and harmonics. I was pleased to confirm that the HD delivers on all counts.

It has this unique thing going on with palm mutes or trempicking where it sounds like you're getting 2 tones at once layered in a really tasty combination: this thick, almost wet like sound combined with huge pick attack. The end result is the best of both worlds for me. The bass response surely isn't as ultra-tight as the ceramic BKPS, but it's tight enough (more so than the Nailbomb) and I could not be happier. Warm and aggressive, I love it!

Although most of my Holydiver customers use and love them in darker guitars, I think it's a perfect fit for my Rico. Although my guitar has mahogany wings and it does have some warmth to it, neck-thru maple and ebony definitely is a somewhat bright combination. The HD just seems perfectly voiced for it. The HD is darker and higher output than the NB, CS, and PK, and its punchy lows, meaty mids and out of this world lead tones are just ideal. The bridge cleans are awesome too.

I still love my ceramic Warpig, Cold Sweat, Painkiller, Nailbomb, and other Bare Knuckles I use in the rest of my guitars, but the HD is definitely up there for me. I'll see what happens after the honeymoon period, but I rarely ever come back from those when it comes to BKPs. It sounds similar to a JB, only I've had about 25 guitars with JBs in it over the years and to my ears this absolutely smokes those, in a whole other league of richness, definition and just overall response/tone.

Talk is cheap though, I'll try to make some clips and let some other HD users chime in :)

played it at nicks last night, unbelievable guitar!

definitely getting a rico as my next non-parker.

:metal:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
^ That's fantastic to hear, Nick. As you may remember, the HD was one of the top contenders I was thinking about when I ended up getting the Nailbomb/Cold Sweat combo, but I had been thinking about it again lately. I look forward to hearing those clips. :metal:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
those prices don´t sound too bad, definitely within standard custom shop prices :)

and about the scale length, i would chime in and say that baritone scales sound awesome no matter what the tuning is, not because of tension differences, but because of the much more "tight" intonation between the strings. i was overwhelmed by the ease of intonation and super-tight "very in tune" sound my baritone had when i got it. that´s what i like about longer scales :)

i´d say it´s a matter of taste, up until a certain point, like if you´re tuning really low. then i´d extend the scale for the sake of intonation, or if you´re going really far, the sake of sounding good and tension :p

25.5" scale is great for tuning to A, if the guitar is well enough made. cheap shitty guitars don´t do so well down there :p

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
^ That's fantastic to hear, Nick. As you may remember, the HD was one of the top contenders I was thinking about when I ended up getting the Nailbomb/Cold Sweat combo, but I had been thinking about it again lately. I look forward to hearing those clips. :metal:

Cool Tom, thanks. I'm doing some demo tracks with the HD/Rico now so I'll have clips shortly.

25.5" scale is great for tuning to A, if the guitar is well enough made. cheap shitty guitars don´t do so well down there :p

Yeah all three of my Vixens are in ADGCFAD (for now), and I've intonated all of them and it's spot on. No issues whatsoever. If I was using thicker strings than I am or if I tuned even lower, then I agree a baritone probably would be helpful :agreed:

those prices don´t sound too bad, definitely within standard custom shop prices :)

Well below standard custom shop prices actually, in my experience :)