NGD: Brian Moore Content

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
I've been gone a long time from this forum and this is my first official post in a long long time !

So NGD ... Craigs List buy.

This is also for those who are curious about MIDI guitars. :yesway:

I've always wanted a Guitar that can play MIDI and control some sort of external Synth, but I was never quite happy with the GK-3 pup that most outlets sell (tried and returned them). I did dabble with the fact that the hex pups that are mounted on certain guitars (high end ones) but those were never really in stores to try out. :squint:

So BAM ! 2 weeks back trolling the CL, I see someone selling a Brian Moore i8.13: Seymour Duncan pups, Split Coil, Piezo plus 13 pin RMC for MIDI (happy !). :hbang:

The guitar can control the GR-33 using the switch on the guitar it self (switching between banks, switching to Pedal Mode, mix of the MIDI, switch to control Guitar only, MIDI only or Mix of both and in addition a pot to control Piezo mix) :agreed:

Here is the official page Brian Moore i8.13 Specifications Page

Oh and it looked great and in Mint condition and he was selling a Roland GR-33 with it for a very, very, very reasonable price. I looked up E-bay and other places for the price of the guitar and the Roland and found I was getting a steal. The guy was super kind to let me play and show the ins and outs of the MIDI with the axe before I purchased it. I got a lot of extras: he threw in additional jacks, a GR-3 pup for any of my other guitars, extra cables and a hard case for the GR-33 !!!

The band is really glad and it sounds awesome through the PA. I can play all the MIDI instruments through the PA while mixing in my guitar or taking out the MIDI or a combo of the two as and when necessary.

The Tracking is damn near flawless. It DOES NOT compare to the GK-3 at all. The mounted RMC has 0 latency to my ears and it tracks at fast speeds (I’m not a shredder, but I was amazed at its tracking at fast legato passages).

I’ve made 2 vids, hoping to help people judge tracking of the instrument and give people a look into the possibilities of sounds with the GR-33. Hope this is helpful. The sound quality is not great, and it does saturate and distort from time to time, but it should give you a decent overview of the combo's capabilities. I would like to point out that the equipment sounds A LOT better on a PA or a Keyboard amp that can handle the sounds from the GR-33 as opposed to a guitar AMP that starts to distort sounds and isn't really made to handle the wide frequency ranges.

If anyone has questions about the stuff let me know, I'll be glad to help out as much as I can. :wavey:

Without further ado, pics and vids

The bag

atsb00000.jpg

The Guitar
atsb00001.jpg

atsb00002.jpg

Layout of Pups and switches
atsb00003.jpg

Closeup of electronics and switches
atsb00004.jpg

Fretboard
atsb00005.jpg

Fretbaord
atsb00006.jpg

13 Pin MIDI output
atsb00007.jpg

Recessed Jack for the Guitar
atsb00008.jpg

The Hard case for the Roland
atsb00009.jpg

Roland GR-33

atsb00010.jpg

Video

The Setup and Guitar Overview

The sounds and demo of GR-33

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
That looks (and sounds) pretty awesome!

I enjoyed the piece you're playing in the second video as well. Your phrasing is an interesting mix of eastern and western styles.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks Darren, that's actually the style I'm trying to get into: a more fusion approach to playing. Using Indian music phrasing in Jazz and fusion, very much like Mahavishnu / McLaughlin / Shawn Lane / Prasanna.

hmmm_de_hum

Reaction score
Really enjoyed the playing and the sound of the instrument man! I've played on that same model but in green, my old school used to have one, really great fun to play with.

I agree with Darren about the playing style, sounds as though your fusion ideas are really coming through congrats!

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
got one brian moore a long time ago. it's a nice guitar, very comfortable, and good sound. but i never put it working right with my roland gi-20, always had tracking issues, so I sold it, but it was a great instrument.

Nice playing too!