NGD - Carvin DC727 "Lagoon Burst" 56k Begone!

• Thread starter RagtimeDandy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LetsMosey

friendly ginger
Reaction score
Is it possible for a stain to change color based on temperature? Because the guitar came to me cold as ice and the center looked gray/ice blue, and it's obviously warmed up by now. Here's what it looks like as of yesterday. I swear the center opened up in the increase of temperature, allowing the stain/paint to sink deeper into the wood, revealing the natural wood.

11929_20130422_235445_1.jpg

A finish can change over time and darken or lighten (depending on the circumstances), but I HIGHLY doubt that would happen over the course of a few weeks or months. Usually that kind of change happens over YEARS. Maybe your cataracts and glaucoma is cured from certain "activities" you were taking part in over the weekend on 4/20 and your vision is cleared up now? :) lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I THINK I see what you're saying. But, then again, it could just be the photo, the angle, the lighting, or any kind of settings from the camera. But I love the crap out of it anyway :lol:

rjnix_0329

Reaction score
The more Carvins I see, the more convinced I am that I need to own at least 2 or 3. This is just ridiculously beautiful. Thank you for sharing and HNGD!

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the kind words, I could not be happier with how this came out!

Also, I finally got the chrome knobs on it, along with some really good sunlight :D

20130426124436.jpg

20130426124439.jpg

Vinchester

Reaction score
wow that route is TIGHT. Did you have to make any modification to get it to fit?

It sounds really interesting as well.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
wow that route is TIGHT. Did you have to make any modification to get it to fit?

It sounds really interesting as well.

Lol, if you only knew...

Actually you can know, I made a thread on it :lol:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...ial-how-get-bkp-into-carvin-dc727-thread.html

In a nutshell I had to shave down ALOT of the PUP itself and sand down the inner walls of the PUP route a decent amount, nothing too major. Overall it was a difference of about 2-3 mm that had to be taken off the PUP and the guitar. It was stressful, scary and horrible, but I learned quite a bit from it :agreed:

EricSVT18

Reaction score
1) fantastic playing. That song is awesome.
2) the guitar sounds amazing! It's so thick and chunky yet so clear.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
1) fantastic playing. That song is awesome.
2) the guitar sounds amazing! It's so thick and chunky yet so clear.

Thank you! It took me about 2 weeks to finally dial in the tone I wanted, but I finally more or less nailed it. The Blackhawk had such an unusual tonality once it was finally in the guitar. I expected a thick, chunky, tube-like sound, but instead it was SO CLEAR and open. I'm not sure if you heard it in the clip but at times you can actually hear my pinky finger lightly grazing the upper E and B strings all while I'm playing really low, heavily distorted power chords. The level of definition in this pickup is unbelievable :bowdown: It took me awhile to get used to it, much like when I started using the Aftermath in my 6 strings. I also think the beefiness of the walnut body and neck really get emphasized by the PUP too. I've heard walnut described as having a very big, heavy low end and a very clear upper response, and I think the pickup and the wood synergize really well in that regard

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
Is it an option 50 to get only the top burst finished and the back unpainted?

Quite the opposite, leaving the back unpainted is standard. You can get it painted black for like $30, and of course could Opt. 50 a different color most likely, but the unpainted back is standard

RustInPeace

Reaction score
Good to know! I always thought if you got the top finished that the body back and neck would match the finish...

Exit Existence

Reaction score
Natural sides and back are only standard on some models like some of thier carved top ones. If you want it on a DC series you have to pay extra

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely beautiful finish, and the grain on the neck is insane!

amarchand

Reaction score
Absolutely gorgeous acquisition! I've seen some sub-par Carvin finishes before but not this one. Nice work getting the BKP in there! It's tougher than most people think..:wallbash:

Latest posts