NGD: Chapman Ghost Fret

• Thread starter ExtremophileElite
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Well, he's not a professional, he's a customer, and as customer rants go, this one is quite civil and documented.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
I'm not sure why a professional email was due, he's a customer not a business associate and he's being thrown for a loop. I think the message sums up the situation well and why their non-response is problematic and their remedy is weak.
As I've said, I was of the mindset early on that this was overblown, but I've come around on that.
It all has to do with scale. Rob isn't just the lead on design, he's the salesman and this is his guitar, one that he has been touring with personally to show.
If ESP flubs the specs on an LTD in print I wouldn't blame their CEO. He probably rarely if ever touches them.

ZERO1

Reaction score
chapman responded. It was a great response. Much respect. It was on the chapman forum.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
chapman responded. It was a great response. Much respect. It was on the chapman forum.

Rob Chappers via Chapman Forum said:
Hi guys,

Sorry, I've been away in the USA for a while and this thread has only just been bought to my attention. The spec of the Ghost Fret was something I discussed at length with our Korean factory when I visited in 2014... it was the reason of my visit.

I wanted to build a guitar using branded components and I asked the factory to include a variety of branded hardware including a Hipshot bridge and Schaller strap locks. Later in the design process I also asked them to also upgrade the pots to the CTS designs.

I was under the impression that all Ghost Frets would come with these features, and despite not actually listing CTS pots as a feature on the website, we certainly did list the bridge as being a Hipshot one and the strap locks as being from Schaller. I’m pretty mortified to find out that the guitars don’t in fact use these specific parts, I guess with hindsight I should have checked although to be fair the Korean made alternatives are in themselves very good.
The managing director of the Korean factory that I designed the guitars with left last summer (around the time that the Ghost Fret went in to production) and we certainly had a few communication problems whilst his replacement got to grips with the role. Basically in order to hit our preferred price point they've reverted to using Korean made parts and we were not informed.

I want to reassure you that I want to resolve this with existing Ghost Fret owners ASAP.

We have been through all the other parts on the Ghost Fret as well as all the parts on the rest of the range and I’m relieved to find out that the problem is isolated to the bridge, strap locks and pots on the Ghost Fret. In fact, I’m not even sure this has always been a problem on the Ghost Fret or if it’s something that has arisen more recently, but here’s what I propose we do.

From today, 1st Feb 2016, the listing for the Ghost Fret on the Chapman Guitars website is correct and all the parts are now referred to correctly – we will endeavour to get all the retailers listings up to date this week. However, if you have bought a Chapman Ghostfret prior to Feb 1st 2016 we need to do something to recompense you.

Sadly the Hipshot string through bridge is not the same size as the one that’s actually fitted to the Ghostfret, so sending you a free Hipshot bridge is unlikely to be of much help as it’s not a simple retrofit job. So we’re really left with giving you two options – a cash settlement in lieu of the incorrect hardware, or a refund on your guitar. We’re happy to send you the cash directly (via paypal) to the value of £60 per guitar (that’s approx $85 US or 80 Euros). If you would prefer a refund then please let us know where you bought the guitar from and we will liaise with that retailer to organise the refund.

I should also point out that fundamentally the retail price of the Ghost Fret is based on our cost price from the factory, so reflects the fact that the bridge and strap locks are not made by Hipshot and Schaller respectively. Please don’t think that you’ve been overcharged for parts that aren’t on the guitar.

I hope that all of you decide to go for the cash settlement option as this is a) the simplest/fastest option, particularly for customers that live a long way from their retailer and b) the Ghost Fret is still an amazing guitar despite the hardware differences.

Please email us on the following email address contact@chapmanguitars.co.uk with the decision regarding what you’d like to do and allow us 28 days to process everything.

Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies and please don’t doubt that I ever intended to act with anything other than the upmost integrity and honesty.

Cheers

Chappers

Looks like he's making it right, still kinda crappy they didn't inspect the batches, but looks like it'll be good.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Well that's probably the best response you'll get from anyone in regards to such a genuine mistake with their product.

While a tad late (but given NAMM month, understandable) Chappers has delivered with the required backstory and resolution offers. Nicely done.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score

Man, I really can't tell you how great that made me feel as a consumer. It honestly made my day. The company breaking the silence and being real with us is what I wanted, and the fact that it was Rob himself attests to his character / moral being.

I was never really sold on them (or him), but this completely restored my faith. The money doesn't even really make a difference to me, its just the fact that they are actually trying. Thats a big +1 in my book.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
That's fair play from him, and NAMM is for once a decent excuse for the delay. I hope he's learned his lesson and will pay more attention in the future.

austink

Reaction score
I don't buy the ignorance explanation. He did a ton of videos to promote it (when he had a production model in his hands) and referred to the bridge as hipshot. Some dude of the other forum pulled up some great clips.

You going for the monetary deal or a full blown return?

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
I don't buy the ignorance explanation. He did a ton of videos to promote it (when he had a production model in his hands) and referred to the bridge as hipshot. Some dude of the other forum pulled up some great clips.

You going for the monetary deal or a full blown return?

I am going to go for the monetary compensation. I do agree that he did a bunch of videos to promote the guitar, and should have known better. Perhaps he thought the actual production model would have those desired specs? Either way, they are trying to make it right, and for that I have to commend them. I fully expected nothing more than a "sorry".

Either way, this is a good lesson for Rob and his company. I'm not after anyone's nuts, I just wanted to know what happened, why it happened, and where we go from here. Thats exactly what happened.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Much respect! Man, I had zero interest in these guitars before, but now I want one! I love how this is being handled.

A-Branger

Reaction score
pretty weird he didnt notice the difference on this bridge against the real hipshot on the other Chapmans guitars. But again, he might have though this was a different hipshot model. Like not all hipshots have to look the same kinda thing, this might be model A instead of B

But awesome on him for that response, feel really sorry on them ahving to return money like that, but again hopefully not many people would claim the money. I wouldnt if I had one, seems too muhc trouble for a small amount.

Pretty bad email you got from them, they should had email you Robs response instead.

Glad they did the right thing

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Of course, the big question is whether robstafarian over on the chapman forum still has his panties in a bunch.

ExtremophileElite

17 Guitars&Counting
Reaction score
But awesome on him for that response, feel really sorry on them ahving to return money like that, but again hopefully not many people would claim the money. I wouldnt if I had one, seems too muhc trouble for a small amount.

I've spent waaaaaay too much time at work messing with this instead of actually..ya know..working :lol:

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
It took some time and I think it's hard to understand why it took so long to notice, but it's clear they thought about it and probably have been weighing their options since the batches came out, but the idea of giving cash refunds direct? Damn. Pretty gracious amount too.
Well done Chapman!

Chokey Chicken

mouth breather
Reaction score
Can't say I'm surprised about his response. It's a shame it took so long for the noise to be heard, but he handled it like a pro imo. I personally wouldn't even bother with the refund for the simple fact that it is a small business where every penny counts, he offered to make it right with a small refund (edit:rather, it's a pretty generous refund for what it is.) despite it eating into profits (I'm sure), and things have been corrected informationwise.

Kudos, Chapman.

DragonGuitar

Reaction score
Yay, I'm glad this all worked out. They are good guitars, so I'm glad the company handled this well. Faith restored!