NGD - Chapman ML3 BEA with video review

• Thread starter TheGuitarPit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pfizer

Reaction score
It's got nice specs for sure but I think Rob is overestimating the value of his name/brand.

Personally, it's a pretty nice looking instrument but I can get a Schecter KM6 with Fishman pickups and SS frets for about 100 bucks less, brand new.

iamaom

Reaction score
It's got nice specs for sure but I think Rob is overestimating the value of his name/brand.
I think he's counting on his internet cult following to push a couple out the door. Everyone in retail knows it's easier to sucker a few customers with high markup high profit items than hundreds of customers with low cost razor thin profit margins. I've owned one of his guitars (the first batch 7 string ones) and it was okay at best, but they just have no resell value since they're so niche and just aren't worth the money unless you want it as a keeper. I've seen a few at my local guitar center and the quality seems to be constantly just okay, like you said for the price I'd rather have a brand new agile or Schecter.

Feedback welcome on the video, I don't know wtf I'm doing.
Some parts have a noticeable camera shake, and it seems to be trying to refocus whenever you move your hands.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
I played the baritone version and it was a lot of fun to play. The price was a bit over what I would pay for that type of guitar though. The built quality is definitely up there with other Korean made guitars.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Cool review.

The Pro Series Chapman's I've played (2) have looked and felt great. Amazing fretwork for this price-range, in my experience (likely one of the reasons for the high cost).

I agree with you, at this price, 'stock' pickups (made by G&B I believe) are hard to swallow. Everything else about the guitar seems very good in terms of quality, but those pickups really bring it down.

PS the PRS Holcomb SE does not have SS frets.

TheGuitarPit

Reaction score
Cool review.
PS the PRS Holcomb SE does not have SS frets.

Thanks! And good catch...I could have sworn they were SS. After a quick google, I guess Mark Holcomb was saying they had SS frets in some video, but that was his personal guitar, not the standard SE version...apparently. Whoops!

I think he's counting on his internet cult following to push a couple out the door. Everyone in retail knows it's easier to sucker a few customers with high markup high profit items than hundreds of customers with low cost razor thin profit margins. I've owned one of his guitars (the first batch 7 string ones) and it was okay at best, but they just have no resell value since they're so niche and just aren't worth the money unless you want it as a keeper. I've seen a few at my local guitar center and the quality seems to be constantly just okay, like you said for the price I'd rather have a brand new agile or Schecter.

Some parts have a noticeable camera shake, and it seems to be trying to refocus whenever you move your hands.

Agree on the internet fame thing, although the specs on this guitar ARE worth $200~400 more than a typical import guitar. Still not sure it's worth it though...

Great point on resale value. Since I'm usually flipping one guitar to buy the next, poor resale value is an absolute deal breaker for me. This particular model is new enough where you can probably break even if you bought it used... but if you paid $1349+tax for this thing, you're gonna take a bath.

And yeah, I caught that on the camera as well. Also the background is sliiiightly shaking for no apparent reason? If you look at the red PRS in back, it almost looks distorted. No clue...

Last edited:

Gravy Train

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
HNGD! I just got a Chapman ML7T in a trade this past weekend and am enjoying it. I don't think I would pay full price for it, but it's still a great guitar. The hipshot hardware is quite excellent!

DeathCubeK

Reaction score
I don't know any reason I would buy this when I can get a MusicMan Cutlass or Stingray for around the same price. Hell, I can get a Japanese Yamaha RSP20CR for the same price.

You could get a completely custom Agile for the price of this thing brand new, or a Semi-Custom guitar from Balaguer.

Hell, my Acacia Titan which was built to order cost less. Ridiculous what they are charging for this axe.

TheGuitarPit

Reaction score
I don't know any reason I would buy this when I can get a MusicMan Cutlass or Stingray for around the same price. Hell, I can get a Japanese Yamaha RSP20CR for the same price.

You could get a completely custom Agile for the price of this thing brand new, or a Semi-Custom guitar from Balaguer.

Hell, my Acacia Titan which was built to order cost less. Ridiculous what they are charging for this axe.

I bet you can pick one up on Reverb in a couple months for a more reasonable price. As it is now...it's a pass from me. And I paid $1150 on Guitar Center used, not the $1350 retail.

Hell, the ML3 BEA, USED, cost as much/more than a couple of my favorite used guitar purchases: Ibanez RGA321f ($850), Kiesel Aries ($950 - with BKPs!), ESP E-II Horizon III ($950), and a USA Jackson Soloist ($1150 - admittedly I got a good deal on the soloist).

I'd like to make some review videos of those guitars too, because they're all great for the money. Turns out shooting and editing a video is a bigger lift than I expected, so it might be a week or two haha.

Last edited:

DeathCubeK

Reaction score
Good shout on the Kiesel. They have a guitar for sale right now for around $1,300 that probably beats the crap out of that Chapman.

You should keep making more videos dude. I enjoyed this one.

TheGuitarPit

Reaction score
Good shout on the Kiesel. They have a guitar for sale right now for around $1,300 that probably beats the crap out of that Chapman.

You should keep making more videos dude. I enjoyed this one.

Thanks man. I intend to, maybe I'll do the Aries next. I know the Kiesel thread here is a complete dumpster fire, but I've had nothing but good luck with them. A base model Aries beats the crap out of any import guitar I can think of, and it's $1049 + 50 for a case. Sure, you can go wild and buy a $4500 Aries made out of resin-filled burled maple, but the base models are where the value is at. I have an antique swamp ash Aries from the 2016 Aries run and it's absolutely killer. Comfortable, great player, great build quality, reasonable price. Hard to argue.

This Aries on Reverb is $1230, has a rosewood neck, mahogany body, and a piezo. I don't think anyone could say that's worse than an Ibanez Premium or any import World Music guitar.

Last edited: