NGD: Charvel San Dimas Pro Mod

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
Been a while since a NGD, eh?
Pics first:
gitwits2.jpg

frontbody.jpg

gitwits.jpg

headstock.jpg

lowflank.jpg

rear.jpg

fretboard.jpg

How about them curves??
curves.jpg

The last year has been a pretty shitty one. I've had to sell almost all of my guitars (my custom ESP Horizon and Sully 624T are here to stay), including, most recently, my 97 ESP USA Horizon. I think things are slowly turning up (fingers crossed), but I was able to pocket enough cash from the US Horizon to ease the pain a bit with another guitar. I had eyes for a Schecter KM6 MKI. Particularly a see-thru white one.
Specifically, this one:
gitwits.jpg

kmrear.jpg

Got a solid deal on it through GC, or so I thought. The condition wasn't what they said, which isn't shocking. A couple scratches, dings around the edges, corrosion on the bridge hex screws, but mostly just filthy. I cleaned it up eagerly, but the satin feel on the neck was long gone and the sticky residue of just not cleaning the guitar enough was harder to get off than the accumulated filth on the fretboard.
I'll say this: it's a solid guitar, but the condition on this one was a bit of a buzzkill overall and probably just amplified the fact that, while it's a clearer place holder for the Horizon I had to sell, it was no competition for my Custom Horizon. Took a solid look, figured that if it was going to compete with for attention, it was going to lose most of the time. Admittedly an unfair fight.
Nothing against the KM, but I took a page from the book of @Blytheryn and went right back to GC, Reverb and Craigslist.
The MIM Charvel was in town, I was headed there in days and that's where the KM6 could be returned anyways.
The starts and strats aligned.

The condition on this one is mint, super well cared for 2016 Pro Mod.
A number of you might have noticed that I'm often talking up Charvels and I still consider them to be the comfort food of guitar necks. Still holds true.
I've owned a few MIA Pro Mods, a first run MIM So Cal, played a ton of MIJ and MIM Pro Mods as well. When there are slight differences, it is noticeable. On this one, the coat on the neck is even thinner than before, seemingly without sealer since you can feel the neck grain, which I really dig. Spoke wheel truss? Awesome. On lightly finished maple necks, a tiny bit of change in the truss makes a massive difference, so I consider that a perk over having to take the neck off every time.
Fret work is excellent, I have the action pretty damn low on this and no buzz or high spots. Fret ends are zero issue and I don't see them becoming one at all.
I was fine with the lack of tone knob on previous Pro Mods, but with the no load option (on 10 = tone knob bypass), it's hard to complain. Push-pull volume, gives you a bunch of straty tones that I rarely use, but, again, not a bad option.
Comes with a JB/59 set. JB is a bit chimey for me, so I have an SD Custom bridge that'll be here on Thursday which I'm looking forward to. Sully sold me on the Custom, grabbed one off of him that was comfortably at home in my MIM So Cal until I unloaded it. The guitar is a bit on the brighter side, so the Custom balances it better, especially in Drop C.

Overall:
Love it. I made the right moves, fully inspired by Chris and his ability to be untethered to GAS idealizations and make quick jumps till you find the one that sticks.
The downside is that I suspect the 2018 Pro Mod line will have sculpted neck heels on all the models, not just the San Dimas Style 2s. That's really the only thing that's missing from this. I can live with the heel as is, but when the option presents itself, I'll probably jump on that, finances permitting. Until then, when there's a Charvel itch, there's not a ton of ways to scratch it.

So the pressing question: why not a Sun Valley Shredder instead?
Two main points:
1: Call me vain, but I just love the strat head. I wanted a Charvel, got a Charvel.
2: I got a killer price on this, a bit less than a new/discounted Sun Valley, which is crazy because they're insanely cheap for what they are. Also with a case. I was able to pocket an additional $150 over the KM. Big perk.
I stand by all my fanfare for the Sun Valley. It, admittedly, has more specs that I'd request than this does: sculpted neck heel and also a spoke wheel truss access. It also has 24 frets. I've played four and all felt great. That said, I think the Charvel is the better guitar, though I wouldn't take issue with owning the SVSS at all. Given my options, I went with what I know. I don't think there was a wrong answer, but I still feel this was the right one.

No love for the KM6?
It's not only a solid guitar, it's got, IMO, some of the best off-the-rack specs of any production guitar out there. Had I gotten the deal I got for a new one, I think there's a better chance it would have stayed. Since my racks are tighter these days, I'm not messing around with anything that is either redundant or less likely to be picked up as often as the others.
The KM6 is a great guitar. I applaud Keith and Schecter for it, but for right now, Charvel made more sense for me.

Closing argument: Specific ocean.
I mean, for real, how sick is that finish? No pickup rings? Even better. And, yes, have no fear, the Custom is zebra as well.

feraledge

Reaction score
TMI/FYI/PSA: In case you were wondering....
Not crucial guitar info, feel free to skip.

In my FS post on the Horizon, I mentioned it was a fire sale, as the last handful of guitar sales were as well. A big thanks to all the forum brethren for reaching out personally to send positive thoughts/support/etc.
The most pressing part of a shit sandwich of a last year goes back to February when my right knee mysteriously doubled in size overnight, accompanied by an insane amount of pain. Chiro/acupuncturist and herbal remedies, got the swelling down 90% in two weeks, then it just happens again. I've basically spent the last 6 months + coping with inflammation and pain, further complicated when my left elbow started having issues as well for a bit.
Diagnosis has been rough, I was thinking the cartilage in my knee was wrecked. I had suspicions about other things, but limited mobility till I could get at the underlying cause. Spent months dealing with health insurance and doctors/recommendations to head in the right direction. Had some awful ones along the way, including one who was 100% wrong on all the crucial points.
Anyways, been a bit of depression on top of other life stuff since most of the time my knee could double in size if I spent 45 minutes in the kitchen. So most work is rendered impossible. But the thought of being 37 and having to use a cane all the time and mostly unable to carry my daughters around was the worst of it.
About a month ago, found out that I not only have Lymes (which I had suspected), but I have all the strands of it, most likely got it back in 2005. But I had some symptoms over the years, but got that diagnosis long after these far more serious symptoms had come about. Last week, finally also got a diagnosis that there's pretty major cartilage damage in both knees, but mainly the right, but since I've got the inflammation pretty under control right now, the doc wants to see it when it's at its worst, which I'm hesitant to let happen.
The two are related, Lymes is a crazy and diverse disease which can mimic or amplify any existing neurological or physical ailment. Things like depression can get really severe as well.

However, I've started my own treatment as of a month ago and it seems to be working well (today is the first day in months that I didn't wear a knee brace at all). Strict ketosis, herbal supplements (cat's claw, colloidal silver, black walnut, sheep sorrel, a mix for inflammation, and a mushroom mix for brain fog/fatigue, both of which are definitely compounding factors all around), and trying to figure out work out regiments that don't tax the knee and increasing mobility (been walking miles the last week or so without having to use a cane, major positive).
So things are on the up and up. For those who checked in, much appreciation. It's been a lot to deal with, but what I'm doing seems to be working now. So it's just a matter of staying vigilant, which I'm beyond resolved to do.

I share all this because I feel a bit of luck: guitars are my main stress relief. My moods can either sink or float depending on how often I am playing guitar, even if it's just noodling unplugged. Not being able to walk comfortably was a major hit, but I do feel fortunate enough that 1) I think I can beat/manage this and 2) it hasn't impacted my hands/wrists.
I got a crazy deal on the Charvel because the seller, seemingly about my age, is having major nerve issues in his wrists and can't play anymore. I hope he can turn it around, but, even at 37, you see some health stuff that can pop up and it makes me feel fortunate for things not being worse and a reminder to stay on top of health issues instead of letting them delve quicker or deeper than they might.
Also, if you think you've got Lymes, act quickly on it. Chronic Lymes can be a pretty major issue. But it can be managed, or at least seemingly so. I just accepted that I probably had it for years, but things would have been different if I knew it and acted accordingly throughout.

So there's too much information for you, should you have chosen to read it. Carry on.

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Sick find. Sometimes you find the one, and just have to make the calls. Glad I inspired a good story and a crazy cool find.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Womb raider

Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore
Reaction score
HNGD... a gem indeed. Crazy stuff with the Lymes, take care of yourself.

spilla

Reaction score
Nice guitar man, love that colour!. Im currently looking for a 2016 Pro Mod too. New prices here in Aus are crazy and there don't seem to be any on the used market. Found one being sold for well below "new price" but its a floor model they wont offer a refund if i find something wrong with it and cant play it as the store is 3hrs away. Oh well, something will turn up. Might get lucky and snag a Jap/USA though i do really like the new spoke wheel.

Socal/San Dimas necks are the most comfortable necks ive tried, well they are in a tie with PRS Wide Thin at the moment. Im building a guitar for myself and plan on using the charvel profile on it. I'm using Dan Erliwine's bondo trick to make a profile template.

Ive got my cousins KM6 here. On paper its a great guitar but i just cant bond with it. My cousin isn't happy with it either. Im hoping he will buy one of those Sunnyvales when he sells the KM6, they look sick and again on paper they are wicked guitar. Hoping its has more charm than the KM6 though!

Sucks to hear about your troubles man, hope you keep getting better!

Zado

Reaction score
Damn man no idea you had those troubles, so sorry to hear that, hope you get well soon...Oh and that Charvie looks spectacular! How's the neck compared to the SVSS?

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
HNGD! Sorry to hear about all the troubles you've been going through. Hopefully things take a turn in the right direction for you.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
I hope you get well soon man. Sucks to go through that type of health issue and I can't even imagine how hard it would be to take care of your family at the same time. Enjoy your Charvel!

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
Glad you found the guitar that speaks to you, I contemplated grabbing one of those this summer too, look super slick, I hope you're able to tackle the health stuff man hang in there, stuff like this its nice to see the community aspect of a forum and everyone having each others backs and offering support!!! Enjoy the shit out of the new guitar man!

jl-austin

Reaction score
This is my favorite color combo for that model. I just don't like the chrome hardware on the other colors, but on this color it looks very classy. Congrats!

Shask

Reaction score
Hope your troubles are getting better!

Good looking guitar! I have had a MIJ for years, and love it. I kind of wish the neck was a little narrower, but it is not too bad.

I tried several pickups in mine, and everything sounded too bright, tuned in E with 9-42 strings. I tried a Custom that was bright as nails on chalkboard. I finally landed with a Duncan Invader. It works pretty well to help give it some chunk.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Happy NGD - the midrange Charvel Pro Mods are just brilliant regarding both build quality and colour schemes offered. Serious GAS kicking in...

feraledge

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! Custom got in early too, so I'm putting that in this evening.

How's the neck compared to the SVSS?
I need to do a side by side with them, but I haven't had the chance so far. From my memory, I'd say the feel is pretty close. Schecter definitely has Charvel in their scopes with that series, no question about it. IIRC, the SVSS might be a touch narrower. A thought I could check, but have not yet.

please contact me first if you need to sell. if you want to buy it back, i would let you...ive done that 4 time for people in the past.
That's awesome of you! Thanks, really hoping I won't have to take that up.

This is my favorite color combo for that model. I just don't like the chrome hardware on the other colors, but on this color it looks very classy. Congrats!
That said, I'm black hardware over chrome 99% of the time. I can definitely live with this, but if someone had a So Cal and wanted to swap hardware, I'd do it in a second.

Well wishes sent your way. I truly hope that you continue to manage this and continue to regain more consistent mobility.
Just walked a bit over two miles with no cane and no brace. Icing it as a preventative, but I'm hoping it keeps moving in this direction.

Can't agree on the colour, but everything else is spot on.
Give it time... Ha!

Hard to beat that color combo, so many cool features on these for the money. :agreed:
Absolutely on both points.

I tried a Custom that was bright as nails on chalkboard. I finally landed with a Duncan Invader. It works pretty well to help give it some chunk.
I remember you saying that, my experience was different. But you don't like the Nazgul either, right? I thought the Invader was brighter than the Custom?

Happy NGD - the midrange Charvel Pro Mods are just brilliant regarding both build quality and colour schemes offered. Serious GAS kicking in...
Don't fight it!!

Shask

Reaction score
I need to do a side by side with them, but I haven't had the chance so far. From my memory, I'd say the feel is pretty close. Schecter definitely has Charvel in their scopes with that series, no question about it. IIRC, the SVSS might be a touch narrower. A thought I could check, but have not yet.

I remember you saying that, my experience was different. But you don't like the Nazgul either, right? I thought the Invader was brighter than the Custom?

I only briefly tried out a SVSS in the store, but the neck was very similar to my Banshee. Narrower, and thinner than the Charvel.

No, I love the Nazgul! It sounds great in my Banshee. I just find about every pickup I tried in the So-Cal was super bright. That guitar is just super bright and needs some chunk. I have considered a new Trem Block. I think it is because I tune it in E, so the strings feel stiff, and everything is tight and bright compared to my other guitars. Most of my other guitars 25.5" are tuned in D, with 10-46 strings.

The Invader is darker in the ultra high presence. The Custom is more scratchy up high, but the Invader has WAY more ~700hz mids, so it kind of sounds like it always has a Tubescreamer turned on after it.

Zado

Reaction score
Before you take out the JB from that beauty, try this lil trick: use a neodymium disk, find the south pole and keep it close to the south pole of the pickup (the screw poles side) for about 10 seconds.
Also adjust the poles with a screwdriver, raising the B, G, D poles for about 1,5 - 2.0 mm according to your preferences. Try the guitar.

Zado

Reaction score
No, I love the Nazgul! It sounds great in my Banshee. I just find about every pickup I tried in the So-Cal was super bright. That guitar is just super bright and needs some chunk. I have considered a new Trem Block. I think it is because I tune it in E, so the strings feel stiff, and everything is tight and bright compared to my other guitars. Most of my other guitars 25.5" are tuned in D, with 10-46 strings.

And you try a Motor City Afwayu :fawk: