NGD - Daemoness Cimmerian

• Thread starter frogman81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bettershredthandead

Shredding 'till dead
Reaction score
Well, now it all makes sense. I remember shortly after I put in the deposit, Dylan was hitting social media. Hard. A video blog here, a Deafhaven dis there, and even going on FB and ripping on stuff there. I wondered, how the heck does he find the time to make all these guitars in between making videos on youtube and statements on FB? It seems around that time there was a serious transition from artist to social media figure. Among other things I suppose...

'Avoidable shortcomings in productivity'. Ha! Its almost poetic. I think many others would have used less endearing terms.

NewCultKing

Reaction score
I think one of the Vitriol dudes? Went through my IG stories feed to find it but I guess it had expired. If I remember correctly it was a scarf headstock glued together

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I can understand your frustration, and my reply was mainly referring to mehegama who has stated multiple times he's only willing to give Dylan a bit more time. He clearly doesn't need a statement to tell him he won't get his guitar in less than 6 months, or 8 or 12 for that matter. The point is, if you're only waiting for his statement to cry on here that the delays are unacceptable and you want a refund you're wasting time. I suggest kindly asking IbanezDaemon for Dylan's phone number and ask for your refund.

As for Barnes leaving on bad terms, this is pure speculation from you. Countless people leave their jobs on bad terms everyday without the business bursting into flames. What's the next step? Dylan couldn't handle the emotional pressure of losing his social media guy and decided to leave everything behind?

I have obviously no explanation for OP's build, however the situation was handled properly.

I'm not saying he should not offer refunds, simply saying if that's what you really want, you're wasting your time in this thread waiting for a statement.

EDIT: I'm not even sure how he can provide build estimates since you're not locking specs when you put your deposit down. Obviously woodcarving and black magic inlaywork take (a lot) more time than a plain fretboard with black lacquer.

I don't think this is correct.

Firstly, if Dylan will state that the build will take literally 2x longer than estimated, that does give you the right to a refund of your downpayment under UK law. It's the ghosting of paying customers which is the problem, leaving them in a limbo situation.

As for build estimates, that's for HIM to figure out. He's doing this as a profit-making business. If he can't plan his own workflow, estimate his output etc, it is destined to fail.

I'd also like some confirmation about Barnes leaving on bad terms.

Normally I'd take it at face value but this is from the same person that's pushing that OP's build is a rushed and potentially-outsourced rebuild conspiracy, and I think the same person talking about Dylan letting non-Artist-endorser youtubers skip the queue. We can and will talk shit all day but actually getting some confirmation on what the facts are would be a nice contribution to the thread.

You're talking about me.

I can PM you a screenshot of my WhatsApp conversation with Barnes, if you'd like?

In speaking with Dylan and Barnes together on Skype last year when I asked for a refund, Dylan was pushing me to let him build another guitar. He was pretty arrogant about it and said things like "I get so much praise for my guitars that it's boring" and something like "I know can build you a guitar that will blow you away", and I was thinking "well I just gave you 5 years to do just that, so why didn't you do it then?" I was so over the brand there was no way I was going to wait for another Daemoness guitar. I didn't want any association with the train wreck that I viewed the Daemoness brand to be.

You are 100% correct with your observations there.

The ego is something I mentioned before when I was talking about Dylan doing lots of artist builds and talking about queue skipping. People were saying it wouldn't make financial sense, or business sense. However, they are ignoring the role of ego and arrogance.

The story, as I know it, is that person X was getting a guitar from company Y. Dylan says to person X, "ah, that company is shit. I can build you something better etc etc".

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I can PM you a screenshot of my WhatsApp conversation with Barnes, if you'd like?

Sure, hit me up.

The story, as I know it, is that person X was getting a guitar from company Y. Dylan says to person X, "ah, that company is shit. I can build you something better etc etc".

Who it is and their build details is kinda important though. If it's like a metal musician who happens to be biggish on youtube, then I could see it as more of an artist build. If it's like Jared Dines or Steve Terreberry whatever, then I'm very disappointed. If it's an artist and they're in front-queue artist time, well, it could make sense. If it's youtuber back of the queue, also fine. If it's youtube front of the queue...hmmmm....

Acme

Reaction score
Sure, hit me up.

Who it is and their build details is kinda important though. If it's like a metal musician who happens to be biggish on youtube, then I could see it as more of an artist build. If it's like Jared Dines or Steve Terreberry whatever, then I'm very disappointed. If it's an artist and they're in front-queue artist time, well, it could make sense. If it's youtuber back of the queue, also fine. If it's youtube front of the queue...hmmmm....
It doesn’t matter who it is. For instance, when you are swamped, things like agreeing to install Evertunes on Jari’s all Ibanezes is totally unacceptable. He should have told that asshole to give those guitars to a local guitar tech.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn’t matter who it is. For instance, when you are swamped, things like agreeing to install Evertunes on Jari’s all Ibanezes is totally unacceptable. He should have told that asshole to give those guitars to a local guitar tech.

Like it or not, marketing is part of the business. Without it, the business could fold and then nobody gets a guitar.

Bridge route and installs aren't rocket science, I've done plenty of trem retrofits, which would be the closest thing to an Evertune install. So I don't think propping that up as a significant reason other work isn't getting done (if it isn't getting done, I don't think anyone knows what is or isn't in process and where it's at in said process) makes sense.

Not defending the situation Dylan has gotten himself into, but all the calls to be "better at business" seem to neglect the overall function of what that means.

xzacx

Reaction score
So don't get accused of being a fanboy, I'll start by saying I think 95% of Daemoness guitars I've seen are goofy and tacky. I like art and I like guitars, but art plastered on guitars in the form of graphics and inlays is rarely cool to me. I do like the plain ones because I think the carves are really nice. With that said, I'm glad I don't have a deposit down, but continuing to finish guitars and refunding unhappy customers seems to be a different situation than what happened with a lot of the builders that have been brought up here. This comes across like one guy who won't actually be patient despite saying he's willing to be patient, that keeps bringing it up, rather than some big conspiracy that's going on. There's no doubt it's not an ideal situation and I imagine I'd be disappointed if I went into a deposit with certain expectations, but I feel like the only thing I've seen actual evidence of so far is poor communication and builds taking considerably longer than expected.

mbardu

Reaction score
So don't get accused of being a fanboy, I'll start by saying I think 95% of Daemoness guitars I've seen are goofy and tacky. I like art and I like guitars, but art plastered on guitars in the form of graphics and inlays is rarely cool to me. I do like the plain ones because I think the carves are really nice. With that said, I'm glad I don't have a deposit down, but continuing to finish guitars and refunding unhappy customers seems to be a different situation than what happened with a lot of the builders that have been brought up here. This comes across like one guy who won't actually be patient despite saying he's willing to be patient, that keeps bringing it up, rather than some big conspiracy that's going on. There's no doubt it's not an ideal situation and I imagine I'd be disappointed if I went into a deposit with certain expectations, but I feel like the only thing I've seen actual evidence of so far is poor communication and builds taking considerably longer than expected.

And actual finish on at least one recent build being pretty questionable.
But you're right, it is really first and foremost about builds taking considerably longer than expected.
It's just that if you're getting into the territory of 6 years actual vs 3 years quoted (not just a few months more), it does kinda become a problem. Especially if the builder gave the 3 years estimate and continued to take deposits (as recently as 2018/2019 apparently) knowing full well that this was nowhere near realistic. Oh- and it's not only the one guy either.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Like it or not, marketing is part of the business. Without it, the business could fold and then nobody gets a guitar.

Bridge route and installs aren't rocket science, I've done plenty of trem retrofits, which would be the closest thing to an Evertune install. So I don't think propping that up as a significant reason other work isn't getting done (if it isn't getting done, I don't think anyone knows what is or isn't in process and where it's at in said process) makes sense.

Not defending the situation Dylan has gotten himself into, but all the calls to be "better at business" seem to neglect the overall function of what that means.

Sure, but that's seriously stretching it, isn't it?

If you have a build queue 3+ years long, and you've taken deposits for (presumably) 50+ builds, do you need more marketing?

That only makes sense if you are still trying to attract more deposits, which does lend itself to the "pyramid scheme" described a few pages back.

Maybe marketing should be a constant thing. But wouldn't the best marketing be to deliver more completed guitars to customers? Each completed build gets a new IG/FB post, shows your broad capabilities, inspires more people to want one. Installing new bridges on a bunch of Ibanez guitars just seems like a waste of time. Strange priorities at the very least.

Thing is, when you start to totally ignore your customers, give BS excuses ("eye strain") for sloppy builds, and provide zero updates... peoples' imaginations start to wander.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure, but that's seriously stretching it, isn't it?

If you have a build queue 3+ years long, and you've taken deposits for (presumably) 50+ builds, do you need more marketing?

That only makes sense if you are still trying to attract more deposits, which does lend itself to the "pyramid scheme" described a few pages back.

Maybe marketing should be a constant thing. But wouldn't the best marketing be to deliver more completed guitars to customers? Each completed build gets a new IG/FB post, shows your broad capabilities, inspires more people to want one. Installing new bridges on a bunch of Ibanez guitars just seems like a waste of time. Strange priorities at the very least.

It doesn't have to be one or the other though, which is part of what I said.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sure. Either way, an incredibly ineffective use of his time *facepalm*

I mean, it's not like building a guitar is just 24/7 non-stop labor. Things have to set, they have to cure, they have to dry, they have to develop, etc. Your average guitar has more time "waiting" than actually being worked on, and the capacity at other points in the process determines just how much you can do while all that happens.

I know it's easy to just think of it as Dylan choosing to be a dick and not work on your guitars out of spite, but if he has as many orders as you suggest, all the "just get to work" in the world isn't going to make a bit of difference if the capacity is at the limit and you're far back in the queue.

He very well could decide that he doesn't want to build your guitar, and that would make him an asshole, but it's probably not because he spent a few hours throwing a different bridge on an already made guitar, or answering some IG DMs.

mehegama

Reaction score
I mean, it's not like building a guitar is just 24/7 non-stop labor. Things have to set, they have to cure, they have to dry, they have to develop, etc. Your average guitar has more time "waiting" than actually being worked on, and the capacity at other points in the process determines just how much you can do while all that happens.

I know it's easy to just think of it as Dylan choosing to be a dick and not work on your guitars out of spite, but if he has as many orders as you suggest, all the "just get to work" in the world isn't going to make a bit of difference if the capacity is at the limit and you're far back in the queue.

He very well could decide that he doesn't want to build your guitar, and that would make him an asshole, but it's probably not because he spent a few hours throwing a different bridge on an already made guitar, or answering some IG DMs.
the issue is that Daemoness is probably the only one man shop (bar maybe KL and all the scammers like vik, deciebel, BRJ etc.) that takes him 5-6 years to finish a guitar. How much time does it take to paint a damn body? As for inlays the vast majority are quite simple ones. There are some extravagant cases but come on. Given all the info we have it is obvious he is lazy and takes his time. Add this other distractions that people have reported and you have the current disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.