NGD: Doberman 9 string

• Thread starter Hollowway
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
.... 27-30" scale
Tuned C#1-E4 ....

Holloway please forgive my asking but what's the rest of the tuning, particularly #7 & 8 ? thanks - jack

Oh, sorry for the late reply, I just saw this. So anyway, the tuning is:

C#1
F#
B1
E
A
D
G
B
E

So it's a "regular" 8 string tuning plus the additional low string.

And it's not chambered. It does weigh a bit, but I don't know exactly how much. I can check and report, back, though. The body is quite small, but thick, so I'm not sure if it is much different from the average.

jack_cat

Reaction score
Thanks for the complete tuning.

I myself am planning my second nine string classical fanned fret, but I want the next tuning up: from the low F# up to a high A. The prototype of two years ago was at

22" to 26-3/4,
which turned out to be too short, I was way too conservative the first time! I'm thinking

23-5/8 to 28-3/8" for the new one, which doesn't look too bad compared to your 27 to 30". I have this huge worry that it will be too big to play, but it does appear that with the available strings that this will be a better sound than anything shorter, so maybe I need to just go with it and find out whether I can play it! (Opinions of all colors are welcome of course.)

Michael_Ten

blergh yas
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first day posting. Was watching this build when it was going down, I must say it's one of the most impressive 9s I've ever seen...

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Thanks for the complete tuning.

I myself am planning my second nine string classical fanned fret, but I want the next tuning up: from the low F# up to a high A. The prototype of two years ago was at

22" to 26-3/4,
which turned out to be too short, I was way too conservative the first time! I'm thinking

23-5/8 to 28-3/8" for the new one, which doesn't look too bad compared to your 27 to 30". I have this huge worry that it will be too big to play, but it does appear that with the available strings that this will be a better sound than anything shorter, so maybe I need to just go with it and find out whether I can play it! (Opinions of all colors are welcome of course.)

Well, I may be in the minority on this, but I'd think that a 5" fan should be pretty doable on 9 strings. I've been wanting to do a 10 string with a 6" or 7" fan for a while, but still haven't pulled the trigger. I have a few customs being made, still, and need to save up more money. But the 27-30" is pretty easy to navigate. Not an issue at all!

bschmidt

chug life
Reaction score
I couldn't help but notice the bandaid and wonder if this beast of a guitar requires a blood tribute to activate :metal: HNGD!!

Halowords

Reaction score
Now that you've had this a while I was wondering your take if you are past the honeymoon phase. Specifically:

First, how do you like the single-cut design for a 9-string? I ask because I thought a Les Paul or ES-335-inspired (or one of the single-cut semi-hollows) 8 or 9 string would be pretty great and yours may be the closest I have seen to anything like what I had in mind.

Second, what strings have you settled on? I'm looking at a BEADGCFAD-tuned 9-string (Agile) with the same 27"-30" multiscale, but obviously tuned down a full step from what you've got (B0 to D4 if I have my octaves right). I would be curious your thoughts. I have honestly thought about .135 for the 9th (B0) string, but may start much thinner and work my way up.

Finally, how do the guitar pickups sound across all nine strings? Just wondering how usable the bottom string or two are at that scale.

-Cheers