NGD: EBMM JP12-7 - Pics + Review!

• Thread starter Alberto7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Nice, a good and pretty 7 stringer is always a fantastic object to droll at.

How are the piezo sounds? What piezo brand is there, saddles and preamp?
Thanks yo! It's beautiful and plays great :)

Honestly it's my first time playing a piezo system for more than 2 minutes, let alone owning one. They sound fine, but I am still getting used to it and learning how to EQ properly. I've been using it mostly with the acoustic amp in the NDSP Petrucci plugin, and it's great, but just need to learn to EQ better I think. I've been using it with the DI only, and definitely sounds a bit nicer. The bass and treble pots for the piezo on the guitar are super sensitive, so I've been trying to find a good balance there as well.

The saddles are whatever EBMM uses normally, which I think are Fishman Powerbridge saddles. Not sure about the preamp since I got the guitar with brand new strings and I haven't yet bothered taking it apart to check it out.

Reaction score
Thanks yo! It's beautiful and plays great :)

Honestly it's my first time playing a piezo system for more than 2 minutes, let alone owning one. They sound fine, but I am still getting used to it and learning how to EQ properly. I've been using it mostly with the acoustic amp in the NDSP Petrucci plugin, and it's great, but just need to learn to EQ better I think. I've been using it with the DI only, and definitely sounds a bit nicer. The bass and treble pots for the piezo on the guitar are super sensitive, so I've been trying to find a good balance there as well.

The saddles are whatever EBMM uses normally, which I think are Fishman Powerbridge saddles. Not sure about the preamp since I got the guitar with brand new strings and I haven't yet bothered taking it apart to check it out.
I once plugged one of my piezo loaded guitars directly into the input mic of a "brick" type HiFi system and the piezo alone sounded pretty damn good, like acoustic guitars with piezos sound. However, with the mags' settings trough the Triaxis and G-Force and Syn5050 they sound completely different... but in a good way, different is good. Most of my piezo loaded guitars don't have a dedicated EQ, except one that does both Cut and Boost on bass and treble frequencies. Their pots are also SUPER sensitive, it's just a lithe breath over the neutral or it's too much...

What else can I say, do enjoy that guitar!...

The Blue Ghost

Direct Mount Pickup Enjoyer
Reaction score
Happy NGD dude! The JP12 7 is just an immaculate guitar in my opinion, I play mine daily and it's just so effortless no matter what. I don't even think about it having a gloss neck and that's pretty crazy in my book.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
I once plugged one of my piezo loaded guitars directly into the input mic of a "brick" type HiFi system and the piezo alone sounded pretty damn good, like acoustic guitars with piezos sound. However, with the mags' settings trough the Triaxis and G-Force and Syn5050 they sound completely different... but in a good way, different is good. Most of my piezo loaded guitars don't have a dedicated EQ, except one that does both Cut and Boost on bass and treble frequencies. Their pots are also SUPER sensitive, it's just a lithe breath over the neutral or it's too much...

What else can I say, do enjoy that guitar!...
Yeah, that's the kind of EQ the JP12 has, as well as one for the mix of piezo+mags whenever there is a stereo output connected.
I've played with it some more using plugins (really need to get a real amp once again... getting tired of plugins only lol), and I reeeaally liked the way the piezo alone sounded in the Plini suite from NDSP through the clean amp. That amp also has a blend knob that mixes in the DI with the amp sound, and it's friggin' sweet!

Happy NGD dude! The JP12 7 is just an immaculate guitar in my opinion, I play mine daily and it's just so effortless no matter what. I don't even think about it having a gloss neck and that's pretty crazy in my book.
Thanks man! It's such a great guitar. I've been playing it a ton. It is great in an unobtrusive kind of way. It's less like my Oni that feels amazing and is impressive and makes me fully aware of it, and more understated in the sense that it is comfortable and effortless and I even forget I'm playing it... I just play it. Until I see the gorgeous finish, that is :lol: but it's such a workhorse of a guitar.

I should mention too, but the balance on this thing on a strap is kind of ridiculous. It'll stay in whatever position I want it to be. The fact that it is a heavy guitar I think helps with that.

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the kind of EQ the JP12 has, as well as one for the mix of piezo+mags whenever there is a stereo output connected.
I've played with it some more using plugins (really need to get a real amp once again... getting tired of plugins only lol), and I reeeaally liked the way the piezo alone sounded in the Plini suite from NDSP through the clean amp. That amp also has a blend knob that mixes in the DI with the amp sound, and it's friggin' sweet!

Thanks man! It's such a great guitar. I've been playing it a ton. It is great in an unobtrusive kind of way. It's less like my Oni that feels amazing and is impressive and makes me fully aware of it, and more understated in the sense that it is comfortable and effortless and I even forget I'm playing it... I just play it. Until I see the gorgeous finish, that is :lol: but it's such a workhorse of a guitar.

I should mention too, but the balance on this thing on a strap is kind of ridiculous. It'll stay in whatever position I want it to be. The fact that it is a heavy guitar I think helps with that.
Get a tube amp and a load box, have it all... I play mostly at home, more so now that the band's drummer fled 250 km away from me and the bassist. My Triaxis rig sounds good, why should I use amp sims?. I use 2x 1st gen Torpedo Captors with analogue cab emulation that I mix with the Triaxis' own cab emulation in my audio interface. Sounds good and dynamic, no need for the IRs rabbit hole. It took me a long time to get the captors... if there are things that I regret doing in this music context is not buying the Captors earlier...

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Man I'd really like to try an Oni someday, they seem so slick.
The Essi is something else, on every level. Very different design philosophy, but it makes complete sense. Kinda reminds me of the Parker Fly in that way, though a bit more radical in some ways and a bit more traditional in others. Dan's eye for detail and design is obsessively keen. Not to mention he's a perfectionist almost to a fault. I consider myself lucky. If you ever get the chance to work with Dan, do it. He's a nice dude, also.

Get a tube amp and a load box, have it all... I play mostly at home, more so now that the band's drummer fled 250 km away from me and the bassist. My Triaxis rig sounds good, why should I use amp sims?. I use 2x 1st gen Torpedo Captors with analogue cab emulation that I mix with the Triaxis' own cab emulation in my audio interface. Sounds good and dynamic, no need for the IRs rabbit hole. It took me a long time to get the captors... if there are things that I regret doing in this music context is not buying the Captors earlier...
Hah I only got hooked on plugins once I picked the guitar back up after almost a decade of leaving music on the side. Things changed SO much in that time. Plugins were the hot new thing and allowed me to try a gazillion different sounds for a relatively very small entry price. I never had the chance to try a lot of the amps they model when I was younger, so it's been great. BUT... I am tired of trying things on a laptop, now I have a much better idea of what I like, and I miss a physical amp that I can fiddle with. I am still debating whether I want a tube head (probably would look into getting either a JP2C or a Mark VII... but $$$$$), or go the Synergy route and have basically "hardware plugins" :lol:. But it'll be that and a reactive load box, probably a Torpedo Captor since that seems to be what everyone uses.
Probably will look into it more seriously closer to the end of the year or early next year, to build the budget.

The Blue Ghost

Reaction score
The Essi is something else, on every level. Very different design philosophy, but it makes complete sense. Kinda reminds me of the Parker Fly in that way, though a bit more radical in some ways and a bit more traditional in others. Dan's eye for detail and design is obsessively keen. Not to mention he's a perfectionist almost to a fault. I consider myself lucky. If you ever get the chance to work with Dan, do it. He's a nice dude, also.
From all I've seen and heard Dan seems like the kind of guy that both gets the innovation and craftsmanship part right which is rare. While I actually do feel pretty content with the guitars I have (like for real) I still really want to at least try to play an Essi someday. The Parker I tried poked me intensely in the sternum at all times though so I hope his guitars doesn't do that hehe.

The Blue Ghost

Reaction score
I really, really wanted to like that Parker Fly I got to try in a music shop but had the same type of feeling that I had when I tried my first Strandberg where it just felt more obtrusive than ergonomic. For me the Majesty just eats their lunch every day, but again, that's me.

Reaction score

Hah I only got hooked on plugins once I picked the guitar back up after almost a decade of leaving music on the side. Things changed SO much in that time. Plugins were the hot new thing and allowed me to try a gazillion different sounds for a relatively very small entry price. I never had the chance to try a lot of the amps they model when I was younger, so it's been great. BUT... I am tired of trying things on a laptop, now I have a much better idea of what I like, and I miss a physical amp that I can fiddle with. I am still debating whether I want a tube head (probably would look into getting either a JP2C or a Mark VII... but $$$$$), or go the Synergy route and have basically "hardware plugins" :lol:. But it'll be that and a reactive load box, probably a Torpedo Captor since that seems to be what everyone uses.
Probably will look into it more seriously closer to the end of the year or early next year, to build the budget.

If you like Mesa'a Mark tones, you should go with a Triaxis V2, a MultiFX processor and a poweramp. With the MultiFX you'll use the EQ block to tame and shape the Triaxis' tones to perfection and due to it being full MIDI, there's options after options that you can't get with traditional amp heads, even with those with MIDI incorporated... and you can get a Triaxis for around 1k €/$... (there are two on the local market sitting in the web void for less than 1k €... no one is biting so you could probably get them cheaper). As for MultiFX, an AXF 2 is around that value as well. For he Poweramp, I'm using a Synergy Syn5050, which is fantastic and used a Mesa 2:fifty for about 10 years, both can be bought for about 1k. Get yourself a MIDI board (I'm using a Roland FC-300) and you're set with a great rig with tone for years... At the moment I'm aiming to get either an FM3 or FM9 from Fractal Audio to replac my G-Force. Triaxis + MultiFX + Poweramp is a relatively portable and super versatile rig that can be controlled by a computer if you need it and via MIDI. Pair it with 2x Torpedo Captors (whatever version suits you better) and you're set for probably less than a Mesa Boogie Mark JP2C, V or VII head...

I really, really wanted to like that Parker Fly I got to try in a music shop but had the same type of feeling that I had when I tried my first Strandberg where it just felt more obtrusive than ergonomic. For me the Majesty just eats their lunch every day, but again, that's me.
Have you tried the Ibanez' S series?, seems like they're right your alley...

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Tremeeeenda, muchas felicidades!

While still being Superstrats, there is something from these series that just feel so good compared to a typical Ibanez/Jackson 7 string.

Regarding the piezo; it's definitely a fun tool to have (specially live) or to butcher up some DT songs, but I haven't found too much use for it outside of that

Regarding the older saddles; I know there was a change at some point regarding them, but can't remember the year, the older saddles requiered a specific ammount of tension to actually work, for example if I drop my JPXI to A with a 59 7th, that string just plain doesn't work with the piezo.

Regarding the alignment, I'll try and check with mine tomorrow, I've never had issues with my 1st string slipping out (which I regularly have with 90ties Ibanez)

(man now I'm really gassing for a 6 string JPX)

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
From all I've seen and heard Dan seems like the kind of guy that both gets the innovation and craftsmanship part right which is rare. While I actually do feel pretty content with the guitars I have (like for real) I still really want to at least try to play an Essi someday. The Parker I tried poked me intensely in the sternum at all times though so I hope his guitars doesn't do that hehe.
Yeah I'd say it's more comparable to something like a Majesty in the way it sits and feels. It's got the stupidest fret acces I've ever seen, it's a small body with an extra long neck, and the asymmetrical neck shape is to die for. Even the headstock tuner arrangement is the same as the Majesty 8.

The Parker comparison is more in the way the body is so heavily contoured so that (for example) the forearm carve is just part of the body shape as opposed to a simple removal of wood, (no digging into any bidy parts :lol:) how the body is in the shape of a wedge so you have a thin guitar that doesn't dig into your thigh, the strategic use of composite materials to provide both neck/fretboard stability and resonance, etc. Dan keeps improving on the design with each iteration. It's the many little considerations about the design that, added onto each other, make a better instrument that he is happy with.

That was my main takeaway from all my chats with Dan over the two years it took to make my guitar, and the time since. A good guitar is an addition of many different small things, very few of which have a significant enough impact on its own to be noticed reliably by the player (let alone the listener), but you can fine-tune each of them so that when put together you get a final result that is close to what you had envisioned. Seems intuitive enough, but as guitarists we tend to obsess over every little detail and blow each of them out of proportion.

The JP12, in contrast, is quite a bit more of a traditional superstrat, but with VERY good craftsmanship (even if the use of a single action truss rod baffles me a little bit) and with cool and unique features. Everything also seems very well considered, but I have a less insight into it than I do with my Oni, other than the marketing material for the JP and my short experience with it so far. It's also kinda why I like some of the major signature models quite a bit: they're usually purpose-built. At least the major signature guitars like the JEM/PIA/Universe, the JP, the ESP Alexi models, etc.

I should really just post this in the Oni Guitars thread. :lol:

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Tremeeeenda, muchas felicidades!

While still being Superstrats, there is something from these series that just feel so good compared to a typical Ibanez/Jackson 7 string.

Regarding the piezo; it's definitely a fun tool to have (specially live) or to butcher up some DT songs, but I haven't found too much use for it outside of that

Regarding the older saddles; I know there was a change at some point regarding them, but can't remember the year, the older saddles requiered a specific ammount of tension to actually work, for example if I drop my JPXI to A with a 59 7th, that string just plain doesn't work with the piezo.

Regarding the alignment, I'll try and check with mine tomorrow, I've never had issues with my 1st string slipping out (which I regularly have with 90ties Ibanez)

(man now I'm really gassing for a 6 string JPX)
Muuuuchisimas gracias! :)

Yeah, it is very different from other 7s I have tried so far. Very different from my Carvin 7. The piezo is alright, but I'm still learning how to EQ it. For some reason I thought I was going to feel more like I was playing an acoustic, but it really just feels like a... piezl system. It's nice, but I have to learn what I can do with it.

And thanks for the info on the saddles! The previous owner did warn me about the low B saddle's piezo and how it needs quite a bit of tension to work properly. I have it set up to my preferred action and haven't run into trouble yet, where that action was a bit too high for the previous owner. It didn't work well with his (incredibly low) preferred action. Maybe I'll abuse the trem a little bit soon just to test the limits of the piezo.

I think I have the alignment set up just well enough at the moment. I think it might have moved a bit last time I adjust the truss rod and unscrewed the neck bolts a little bit. Still not perfect, but I'll try to reseat it next time I change the strings. My worry with the guitar right now is that it is a single action truss rod, and the truss rod is now loose while the neck is perfectly straight. Not a problem right now, but it will become a problem if the neck ever decides to go into more of a back bow: I won't be able to provide any more relief using the truss rod.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
If you like Mesa'a Mark tones, you should go with a Triaxis V2, a MultiFX processor and a poweramp. With the MultiFX you'll use the EQ block to tame and shape the Triaxis' tones to perfection and due to it being full MIDI, there's options after options that you can't get with traditional amp heads, even with those with MIDI incorporated... and you can get a Triaxis for around 1k €/$... (there are two on the local market sitting in the web void for less than 1k €... no one is biting so you could probably get them cheaper). As for MultiFX, an AXF 2 is around that value as well. For he Poweramp, I'm using a Synergy Syn5050, which is fantastic and used a Mesa 2:fifty for about 10 years, both can be bought for about 1k. Get yourself a MIDI board (I'm using a Roland FC-300) and you're set with a great rig with tone for years... At the moment I'm aiming to get either an FM3 or FM9 from Fractal Audio to replac my G-Force. Triaxis + MultiFX + Poweramp is a relatively portable and super versatile rig that can be controlled by a computer if you need it and via MIDI. Pair it with 2x Torpedo Captors (whatever version suits you better) and you're set for probably less than a Mesa Boogie Mark JP2C, V or VII head...

Have you tried the Ibanez' S series?, seems like they're right your alley...
Hah I looked into the Triaxis, but the examples I have found on Reverb that I can buy locally are around 2k CAD. I'm honestly leaning towards a Synergy setup, since I can still try quite a variety of different amps for not a crazy amount of money. JP2C and Mark V/II are kind of dream purchases, but I can't quite justify them tbh. A multi-fx would be cool basically as just an FX unit, but that'll come later. I have a small MIDI keyboard I got for super cheap, so I could potentially use that.

Reaction score
The Synergy stuff is quite tempting for its flexibility and there's quite the community on modules exchange (I think). My actual power amp is a Synergy Syn5050 and I like it a lot. I can only imagine the modules... and there's a IICP that will get you the Mark tones... Personally, I LOVE the continuous control of the Triaxis V2 to change the Gain and Drive values on the fly to get all the range from clean to dirt...