NGD: ESP E-II Jesse Liu JL-7 Katana

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Some of you saw this coming, but as usual the weather is shit everytime I get a new guitar. Not that it matters I since I suck at photography anway.

Let me introduce you to the Jesse Liu (Cthonic) Katana. One of the coolest ESP Arrows ever made:

20240303-144657.jpg

20240303-144503.jpg

20240303-143832.jpg

20240303-144503b.jpg

20240303-143901.jpg

20240303-143915.jpg

20240303-143932.jpg

20240303-143950.jpg

20240303-144001.jpg

20240303-144054.jpg

20240303-144058.jpg

20240303-144339.jpg

20240303-144346.jpg

20240303-144427.jpg

Ok, now that you've got your pictures here's the boring part (my impressions).

First of all I want to thank @Vyn for his info about the Arrow 7s (not much available anywhere). You can blame him for me getting this one. You can also check his thread here: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/esp-7-string-arrows.362952/

- Fit & finish:
Excellent. Not a single issue with binding as some E-IIs I've seen. The fretwork is really, really good. It has a card that I was able to translate from japanese with Google Lens saying it was purchased from Big Boss Japan (which I believe is an ESP dealer) in 2018 and inspected again sometime later, so I suspect they took care of it. It is in practically mint condition too. The only flaw I've seen on it is that the routing of the pickup cavity could be a bit better. I've seen this issue in the past on E-IIs and ESP response was something along the lines of "we do it by hand and suck it up if you don't like it" :lol: It's only noticeable very up close, and honestly I don't mind it.

- Playability:
This is my first ESP, and I wasn't sure if I was going to like the 12" fretboards with XJumbo frets coming from Jacksons (which uses 12-16" and Jumbo frets), but it's fine. As @Vyn told me, the necks on the Jesse Liu sigs are meatier than the regular Arrows, and it is definetely a thick mofo. It's comfortable, and with the big ass frets it plays really welll so I can bear with it. Looks like I tolerate thicker necks with lower radiuses better than ruler flat necks like Ibanez ones.

- Sound:
The guitar is acoustically quieter than any of my other guitars. It really surprised me at first. It's got a Blackout bridge and I'm not an active fan. The pickup is hot as shit and I will need to rebalance my presets since the clean channel is loud as fuck now. I kinda like what the Blackouts do in terms of feel when you back up the gain (they don't feel as "hard" as EMGs). However, I've got plans for this one. I know you guys are going to hate me because this board loves single pickup guitars, but I'm totally defiling it with an EMG SA7X I've already purchased. That means I'll snap a 707TWX on the bridge for split tones fun.

- Quirks / cons:
Big fat neck. As I said, comfortable. but definetely not for everyone.

As any guitar of this kind, it neckdives. The big fat neck probably is a big factor on that. At worst it goes fully horizontal, which is not that bad (as long as the neck doesn't fall downwards I'm ok). Again as per @Vyn 's suggestion I'll be putting Dunlop Flushmount straplocks which will help a bit. I'm also getting Hipshot industrial tuners to lighten up the headstock (and because they look killer on inline headstocks). And since the guitar is light enough as it is (3.6kg), I can afford to change the sustain block for a tungsten one to increase the body weight if needed.

The volume knob is also in a horrid position. I will replace it with a low profile pickup selector and move it lower towards the wing.

The case is huge and expensive. And the worst part is that it didn't came with it, so I'll have to get one eventually anyway.

So overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase. The price I paid for it was fair but definetely more than what they used to sell pre-price hikes. The flipside is that it's in excellent condition and barely played. That will change as soon as I start giging it and smashing the wings into things :lol:. It's a radical departure from what I'm used to play (which is exciting), and my bandmates loved the fuck out of it when they saw it today. It's got the looks for sure! It's also super comfortable to play standing up so it will probably become my main gigging axe for my metal band in the future.

:wavey:

Last edited:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Killer! Im surprised we don’t see more of these - I agree that they’re the coolest looking version out there.

@TheBolivianSniper these (and the baby metal one) occasionally pop up on Reverb for decent prices. Just set a watch for them, and you’ll see them. Might take some months, but I’ve seen a few over the past year.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
If I ever get another V it will be an Arrow. They're about as close to the crazy/hot maximum as I can comfortably go.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Some of you saw this coming, but as usual the weather is shit everytime I get a new guitar. Not that it matters I since I suck at photography anway.

Let me introduce you to the Jesse Liu (Cthonic) Katana. One of the coolest ESP Arrows ever made:

20240303-144657.jpg

20240303-144503.jpg

20240303-143832.jpg

20240303-144503b.jpg

20240303-143901.jpg

20240303-143915.jpg

20240303-143932.jpg

20240303-143950.jpg

20240303-144001.jpg

20240303-144054.jpg

20240303-144058.jpg

20240303-144339.jpg

20240303-144346.jpg

20240303-144427.jpg

Ok, now that you've got your pictures here's the boring part (my impressions).

First of all I want to thank @Vyn for his info about the Arrow 7s (not much available anywhere). You can blame him for me getting this one. You can also check his thread here: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/esp-7-string-arrows.362952/

- Fit & finish:
Excellent. Not a single issue with binding as some E-IIs I've seen. The fretwork is really, really good. It has a card that I was able to translate from japanese with Google Lens saying it was purchased from Big Boss Japan (which I believe is an ESP dealer) in 2018 and inspected again sometime later, so I suspect they took care of it. It is in practically mint condition too. The only flaw I've seen on it is that the routing of the pickup cavity could be a bit better. I've seen this issue in the past on E-IIs and ESP response was something along the lines of "we do it by hand and suck it up if you don't like it" :lol: It's only noticeable very up close, and honestly I don't mind it.

- Playability:
This is my first ESP, and I wasn't sure if I was going to like the 12" fretboards with XJumbo frets coming from Jacksons (which uses 12-16" and Jumbo frets), but it's fine. As @Vyn told me, the necks on the Jesse Liu sigs are meatier than the regular Arrows, and it is definetely a thick mofo. It's comfortable, and with the big ass frets it plays really welll so I can bear with it. Looks like I tolerate thicker necks with lower radiuses better than ruler flat necks like Ibanez ones.

- Sound:
The guitar is acoustically quieter than any of my other guitars. It really surprised me at first. It's got a Blackout bridge and I'm not an active fan. The pickup is hot as shit and I will need to rebalance my presets since the clean channel is loud as fuck now. I kinda like what the Blackouts do in terms of feel when you back up the gain (they don't feel as "hard" as EMGs). However, I've got plans for this one. I know you guys are going to hate me because this board loves single pickup guitars, but I'm totally defiling it with an EMG SA7X I've already purchased. That means I'll snap a 707TWX on the bridge for split tones fun.

- Quirks / cons:
Big fat neck. As I said, comfortable. but definetely not for everyone.

As any guitar of this kind, it neckdives. The big fat neck probably is a big factor on that. At worst it goes fully horizontal, which is not that bad (as long as the neck doesn't fall downwards I'm ok). Again as per @Vyn 's suggestion I'll be putting Dunlop Flushmount straplocks which will help a bit. I'm also getting Hipshot industrial tuners to lighten up the headstock (and because they look killer on inline headstocks). And since the guitar is light enough as it is (3.6kg), I can afford to change the sustain block for a tungsten one to increase the body weight if needed.

The volume knob is also in a horrid position. I will replace it with a low profile pickup selector and move it lower towards the wing.

The case is huge and expensive. And the worst part is that it didn't came with it, so I'll have to get one eventually anyway.

So overall I'm pretty happy with the purchase. The price I paid for it was fair but definetely more than what they used to sell pre-price hikes. The flipside is that it's in excellent condition and barely played. That will change as soon as I start giging it and smashing the wings into things :lol:. It's a radical departure from what I'm used to play (which is exciting), and my bandmates loved the fuck out of it when they saw it today. It's got the looks for sure! It's also super comfortable to play standing up so it will probably become my main gigging axe for my metal band in the future.

:wavey:
hngd, also great write up. It's fun reading about the pros/cons of it, and your plans for it.

Since you're using this in a metal band, what do you primarily use the neck pickup for? For cleans and/or solos? For the 707TWX plans, do you usually use split bridge tones, or is that just to have the extra feature because why not?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
hngd, also great write up. It's fun reading about the pros/cons of it, and your plans for it.

Since you're using this in a metal band, what do you primarily use the neck pickup for? For cleans and/or solos? For the 707TWX plans, do you usually use split bridge tones, or is that just to have the extra feature because why not?
Thanks! I guess I still have some of the "picstory" days of the site in me. :yoda:

About the neck pickup... I do most of my stuff on the bridge pickup (including leads), and we only have like two songs with clean parts, but I don't like the fact of not being able to use a neck pickup at all.

I mostly use the neck pickup for clean parts and some melodic leads, but I like switching positions a lot. I have my guitars wired with a coil swap mod (instead of the usual parallel/split) that gives me two extra humbucking sounds, so going from 5 sounds to 1 is something I'm not sure I'll get used to.

For the TWX, yes it's totally a "why not?" thing. I would have 6 different sounds then to experiment with. I also thought of going the Fishman route with a 3-voice pickup, but the cleans will probably sound awful in the bridge anyway because I doubt their single coil voice is as good as EMG's.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
Incredibly dope, man. I love the looks of single pickup guitars, and that burst is awesome. Happy NGD.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
HNGD & welcome to the Arrow-7 club! You must now carry the burden of having the coolest guitar on the entire lineup of any set you play, ever. Awesome also that the Katana has the belly cut - it's one of the best things about the SV, shame that it wasn't carried forward to the mainline Arrow.

FWIW the bridge pickup route on my Arrow-7 is also *ever* so slightly wonky, tilted toward the bridge. But that's where your hand goes anyway so who cares!
Wholeheartedly cosign your splittable bridge + neck singlecoil + Dunlop flushmount plans. You're not mutilating the guitar, you're bringing it that bit closer to perfection. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Congrats man, glad I could help out!

Now you need a Muramasa to match it (scallops optional) ;)

View attachment 139749
Yes I do! I plan on getting at least the three limited ones. No rush. I wouldn't mind snagging the regular Arrow too (and put gold hardware on it)!

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Yes I do! I plan on getting at least the three limited ones. No rush. I wouldn't mind snagging the regular Arrow too (and put gold hardware on it)!

You'll be waiting a while for a Muramasa I suspect - The last one I saw was on Reverb probably almost over a year ago now. They dried up bigtime