NGD: ESP Viper

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Wow, never thought I'd own a real ESP. Even E-II's are usually out of my price range. How could I afford this one? IDK, it is pretty beat up, but honestly I've seen other ESP's in worse condition go for twice the price I paid for this one. There's dents. There's cracks. But despite that, the quality of this thing is amazing. It it weren't for the damage there wouldn't be a single finish flaw on the entire guitar. And the frets are absolutely dope.

I've owned an ltd Viper in the past, and I did like it, forget why I ended up getting rid of it, but anyways, ltd and ESP's alike are advertised as having a "thin-U" neck. My old ltd's neck was pretty normal feeling tbh, could have told me it was a C and I wouldn't have argued. In fact, at that time, I used to frequently wonder, "what the hell's the difference between a C neck and a U neck?" I thought it was just a marketing thing. HOWEVER, on this ESP Viper, the neck is very, very U shaped. You can definitely feel that it is a U and not a C shape. At first, I thought it was too U shaped, but I've gotten used to it. I wouldn't say that it's my ideal neck shape, but it is definitely very playable.

So, Vipers have a balance issue. Lots of people say that the reason that ltd and E-II Vipers have neck dive is because of the strap pin location. That is absolutely true! On my old ltd Viper, I moved the strap pin from the back of the upper horn to the traditional SG location behind the neck heel, and it fixed the balance completely. I even made a thread about it with pictures if you'd like to see. Many people on the internet who talk about fixing Viper balance, and SG balance as well, will suggest that you put the strap pin on the tip of the upper horn. In fact, Gibson Iommi signature guitars come this way from the factory. Everyone says that this is the ideal location for fixing the neck dive of either a Viper or an SG.

I would beg to differ. This ESP Viper came from the shop with the strap button on the top of the horn. It did not have the severe neck dive of an ltd, or any Viper with the strap pin on the back of the upper horn. It wasn't neck dive... honestly, the body of this guitar is pretty heavy, I don't know if it's possible for it to have neck dive regardless of the strap pin location... But the balance wasn't where I wanted it to be. I like the neck to rest at a high angle. I'm probably more particular about it than most, but I think it makes a huge ergonomic difference. So I went to Big Boss and got a strap button drilled out so that one of the neck bolts would fit through it and put it on the neck plate. PROBLEM SOLVED. Balances absolutely perfect. If anyone is playing a Viper, of any manufacture, I highly recommend that you move the strap pin to the back of the neck.

OK, picture time!
37D44578-2CFA-472F-9A6E-C28C9D4336BC.jpegF54E27FB-CA24-46C1-80B7-406AF3DF8E96.jpegFDC18F35-D2CE-4D6B-8C88-4A899896F5F5.jpeg873D9D57-2DA3-4794-A806-D724BF57CAEE.jpeg8BF1C2F5-77FD-4F65-8735-FF987D95C498.jpegBB9E5864-E60D-430E-BEB6-4C2CB72AAEE6.jpeg

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Congrats!

I had an LTD Viper Baritone 300 from like 2001 I think. Crazy neck dive. Ended up selling it because the neck shape was very uncomfortable for me, it was very strange because I’d never seen a neck shape like it from ESP-LTD, it was a C to a U and when I did fast transitions from a low fret to high fret and vice versa the dramatic neck shape change was super extremely uncomfortable.
Sorry for the irrelevant story but your NGD reminded me of that VB300 oddity of a neck lol.

Enjoy that beauty!!!!

randall696

Reaction score
congrats
very cool find.
its in fact the first ESP Viper I see with Bolt on Neck and Truss Rod adjustment on the bottom of the neck.
I had the Urban Camo Viper variant in the past but quickly traded it for another axe since I couldn´t live with the neck dive... and I didn´t want to drill a hole in the horn of such an expensive instument with such a great finish :(
But nice there where versions where there has been stock a solution for this problem already in 2006 xD wonder why ESP didnt keep the strap locations that way...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Nice score! Just curious -- did BigBoss do the work right there the same day or did you have to come back? I'm going to need to get an extra hole drilled in a neck heel... don't really want to do two trips.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congratz! 2 Questions:
1. Is that a matchbox behind the headstock? What's that for?
2. The neck screws are quite corroded...steel screws in brass inserts or a brass neck-plate? Or vice versa?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Nice score! Just curious -- did BigBoss do the work right there the same day or did you have to come back? I'm going to need to get an extra hole drilled in a neck heel... don't really want to do two trips.

So the guy I always talk to there made it seem like they were gonna do it right then, and brought me upstairs to the house guitar tech guy, but he was working on a sale, and I was only stopping there after work on my way to a show, we actually stood around for a good 10-15 minutes waiting for this guy to finish talking, but I'm around that place all the time so I just said I'd come back for it.

Congratz! 2 Questions:
1. Is that a matchbox behind the headstock? What's that for?
2. The neck screws are quite corroded...steel screws in brass inserts or a brass neck-plate? Or vice versa?

1. Yes, from a chicken wing chain restaurant called Yama-chan's. Man I love those wings, and I haven't been there in a minute, I should go back soon. I just do it to cover the serial number. Idk, some people say you should do that, I probably don't need to, but NGL I think it's kinda fun to find interesting objects to use.

2. The top of that screw looks gross, but the meat of it seems A-OK. There's no inserts, just a normal guitar "bolt-on" neck screw through a neck plate made of ???? and wood. I always wondered why they call them bolt-on necks when they use screws—granted, some guitars these days DO use bolts (I think?) but Fender who popularized that construction is definitely using screws. Then again he also called vibrato "tremolo" so there ya go.

ToRNOuTLaW

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok, never thought about anonymous guitars, but thinking about webscraping and internet scamming, it's better to be safe than sorry.
> some people say you should do that
Maybe people trading gear with dubious provenance 🤐

Will check out Yama-chan's when eventually visting 日本 :)

Nanker Phelge

Reaction score
A little off topic, but didn’t ESP/LTD come out with Vipers with a thicker, 50s style neck?

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Ok, never thought about anonymous guitars, but thinking about webscraping and internet scamming, it's better to be safe than sorry.
> some people say you should do that
Maybe people trading gear with dubious provenance 🤐

Will check out Yama-chan's when eventually visting 日本 :)
The urban legend goes...
One day, little Jimmy decided he wants to sell his much sought after highly valued guitar on Craigslist. He posts pictures of the guitar online, including the serial number. An unsavory yet clever character sees this listing, and quickly files a police report for the theft of his guitar. Of course, in the police report, he provides "his" guitar's serial number... days later, little Jimmy receives a knock on the door! It's the fuzz! You're coming with us, kid! But wait, officer, this is my guitar! I didn't steal it! Oh yeah? Prove it! Where's your receipt! Oh no, I don't have the receipt. Look, kid, if you return the guitar to the rightful owner, he said he wont press charges, so either hand over the guitar, or you're going DOWNTOWN! ...

Or in another version...
an evil Chinese counterfeiter is surfing the web, looking for inspiration. What do these foolish, thrifty Americans want these days? How can I convince them to buy my evil Chinese firewood? He comes across a guitar forum, brimming with photographs of guitars displaying the FULL serial number. Ah-ha!! If I make copies of these guitars, and use these real serial numbers, even if the customer checks the serial online, he'll be none the wiser that his Ibanez is really... CHINESE!! MUAHH HAHAHA!!

Hey man, it's true. It happened to my friend's cousin's boyfriend. Oh, nah, you wouldn't know him, he goes to another school.