NGD: First Gibby

• Thread starter ZachK
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted here, but I feel like this is a worthy comeback post.

I started working at Long & McQuade (Canada's equivalent of GC), and on my second day, after staring at guitars all day long, I bought a used Gibson.

Upy9UwE.jpg

l7rdcLY.jpg

2BUau8j.jpg

Here's a link to the all of the photos, there's a few more.
Gibson SG Special - Album on Imgur

I'm pretty happy about it, first real Gibson, plays nicely enough, but I do have a couple gripes.

Pros: Finish looks gorgeous
Fret ends are nice
Frets are seated nicely
Pickups cream! 490R/T and my god are they amazing
Holds tuning very well
No G-Force Tuning System!

Cons: Finish is paper ....ing thin. I dropped my Frank Zappa Jazz From Hell CD (of course I did, and of course it's Zappa) onto it and it chipped the finish in three places.
It doesn't have block inlays (whatever it's a special)
Painted neck. Never been a fan. Never will be.

All in all, great guitar. My complaints are few, and I'm not overly concerned about them.

I snagged this thing used at a great deal, my other option was a brand new SGJ with lame hardware, lame finish, and lame pickups. This thing kills it.

Overall super happy with my purchase.

Once I get my rig setup again I'll do some tone demos.

Also there's going to be new amp, pedal, and cab threads from me over the next few days.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
The 490R is one of my favorite neck pickups out there. I'm glad you gave the stock pups a try before automatically deciding they need ripped out, like so many other people around here :lol:.

It doesn't have blocks, but at least it has covered pickups. The older specials had exposed bobbin pickups. They also had that huge pickguard, but I liked that :lol:. I actually almost bought a Special back in the day, but noticed the Gibson logo was peeling off (dafuq), so I bought a tele instead :lol:.

MattThePenguin

Reaction score
That's a cool guitar man, those pickups are so shiny! It looks very classy, you made a good decision

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
The 490R is one of my favorite neck pickups out there. I'm glad you gave the stock pups a try before automatically deciding they need ripped out, like so many other people around here :lol:.

It doesn't have blocks, but at least it has covered pickups. The older specials had exposed bobbin pickups. They also had that huge pickguard, but I liked that :lol:. I actually almost bought a Special back in the day, but noticed the Gibson logo was peeling off (dafuq), so I bought a tele instead :lol:.

Honestly the pickups were the reason I got this thing! I love the 490R/T combo. If they were uncovered I woulda gone with a tele actually... Pairs perfectly with my Mesa Stiletto Deuce. I should do the nad for that soon

Axewield31

Reaction score
That finish is so nice. I really tend to prefer the look of lower end Gibsons than their high end stuff. So much classier and stripped back.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
SGs are the best guitar shape. Recently I've been on a quest to find another kind of guitar that gives the same balance and fret access. LPs can get a similar balance, but it's got a bunch of .... in the way of everything past the 12th fret!

So it's your first Gibson... but is it your first SG? Get ready to start thinking all other guitar shapes are inferior!!

Also I love yours because it has no fretboard binding.

ovlott

Reaction score
Dude, SG Specials rock! HNGD! I had an older SG Special Faded a while ago and I still miss it to this day. One of my favourite 6 strings out there!

ZachK

Ronda Rousey Fanboy
Reaction score
SGs are the best guitar shape. Recently I've been on a quest to find another kind of guitar that gives the same balance and fret access. LPs can get a similar balance, but it's got a bunch of .... in the way of everything past the 12th fret!

So it's your first Gibson... but is it your first SG? Get ready to start thinking all other guitar shapes are inferior!!

Also I love yours because it has no fretboard binding.

First SG and Gibson!

I love the shape, it's nice and light and balances really well.
As much as I love this thing... I still love my teles!

Also thanks dudes.

The lack of a pickguard is a blessing and a curse. I was at one point thinking of modding this thing, Zappa style. But I'm not wanting to totally wreck the guitar to do so

Bloodshredder

Reaction score
She. Is. Beautiful :-D

I always liked the tone of gibby's. Somethign very unic, but still familiar. I bet you will be happy with it for a long, long time.