NGD::Fretless Guitar: Pics and Vids

• Thread starter rahul_mukerji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Hello All :wavey:

I've been trolling E-bay and CL for the last few years and I always end up looking at Fretless Guitars. My recent interest in Oud music and Indian music had really fueled my hankering for a Fretless Guitar. But they seemed too exorbitant and from the YouTube Videos seemed like a One Trick Pony for "Indian Slidey Thing" Guitar. I was having a hard time justifying buying it and then actually using it well. :scratch:

But then I saw one on Ebay : FRETLESS + SUSTAINER + ROLAND GK Pickup !! Woah !! And it was extremely cheap for all those features !!:squint:

So I looked it up and Bid on it .... AND WON :hbang:

The baby is a Fernandes Fretless with a Sustainer and GK-MIDI pup.

Specifications:
  • Body: Ash
  • Neck: Maple, Bolt On
  • Fingerboard: Maple, 25 1/2" Scale,
  • 22 Jumbo Frets, 16" Radius, Center Dot Inlays
  • Nut: Composite 1 5/8"
  • Tuning Gears: Die Cast Vintage
  • Bridge: Synchronized Tremolo
  • Features: FERNANDES SUSTAINER SYSTEM
  • Controls: 5-Way Lever Switch, SUSTAINER ON/OFF & Mode Switches, 1
  • Volume, 1 Tone
  • Pickups: Neck : SUSTAINER, Middle : Vintage Single Coil, Bridge : High
  • Output Humbucker
  • Color: Cherry Sunburst

So I know based off the Youtube Videos that a lot of people say chords are a pain or you can't play, but that's just simply wrong :nuts:
Its a tad difficult since you have to get used to playing exactly where the Fret should be, but for people who use Jazz Chords [7,9,13] and such,
this will not be a problem. I was pleasantly surprised to see I was able to play chords pretty decently given that I had the guitar for less than a week.
And this is my first fretless guitar.

I've made Two Videos and I really tried to make them more educational, as in "Here's a few things you can do with a fretless guitar in different Genres"
as opposed to "Watch me shred and do the Indian Slidey Thing". :cool:

Chords
The first Video has me playing chords. There are 3 pieces there. The first is a simple E - C chord progression with sliding bass notes.
The second Video has the Sustainer Pickup on and I play Tapped Chords. It works out
great for those sounds. The last one actually has me playing a Em7 - Cmaj9 - B7 - Cmaj - Dmaj. Its not too bad sounding either.
I've really started to enjoy the fretless slides in the chords as an effect.

Solos
The First Vid ends with a Standard solo over the Chord Progressions I recorded. You can play most of your favorite licks with little adjustment.
Then I have the Sustainer and I play over the progression. You can see not a single note is picked after the first one. Then I play the required E-Bow over Fretless piece. This is more along what you can do for Atmosphere and maybe video soundtracks. With Delay and Verb it makes a great piece.

I tried playing some Turkish sounding piece that I found on YT. I desperately tried hitting the quarter notes and not the fretted areas for that Maquam
sounding effect. I was trying to emulate an Oud sound. I think it sounds decent for a first try. Hopefully I get better as time goes by. I then switch to the Roland GK pickup and play Flute over an Indian Tabla which tracked very, very well and sounded nice ! I switched to a Sax sound and played a little blues. It squeaked every now and then but other than that it was nice. Sounds are nice too.

For my last piece I played a flute through a distortion and wah pedal and tried to play to what could be looked at as an Industrial backing track.

So you can really use the Fretless Guitar in a large area of music genres and use it in a band context as something more than a One Trick Pony. :agreed:

Hope this has been helpful ... enough talk : On with the Pics and Vids :wavey:

Thanks and Enjoy the pics and Vids .....

Something wicked this way comes ...

001.jpg

TOOLS ...

002.jpg

A Sneak Peek ...

004.jpg

Headstock /b]

005.jpg

Fretboard

006.jpg

007.jpg

Fretlessness

015.jpg

014.jpg

Sustainer Pup

008.jpg

Roland Pup

009.jpg

Full Guitar

010.jpg

011.jpg

Videos

Chords:

Solos:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
am I missing the FRETLESS part?! :scratch:

ridner

Bastard of Thousands
Reaction score
gotcha. haven't seen a fretless w/ lines on the fingerboard before.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Yeah, these are the kinds of fingerboards which were "defretted" and then their fret areas filled with Epoxy or some such filling and then made smooth for a clean finish.

The upside to these defretted guitars is that it shows you exactly where the note should have been and its a much much easier transition for people used to playing fretted guitars [like me !!]. :agreed:

I got the same reaction on FB :lol:

Anant Naag

hate frets
Reaction score
HGND dude.
I am waiting for my fretless as well so looking forward to any inputs on how the transition is from fretted to fretless.

Great guitar with lot of features

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks coffeeflush

This is what I am doing now: I would start with the simple scalar runs and making sure you can hit the notes I want. So I would run through my Major scale and Minor scales in different position and see if I can hit them correctly. Then I would play the pentatonics. Then I would try to play along with a backing track to play solos ... and then move my bends into slides. :shred:

Then experiment with the "in between notes" and vibrato and see what sounds musical and exotic. Eventually you will get a feel for what sounds right and what sounds really out there and then mix it up. :hbang:

But for the first few weeks I would just play the heck out of it with total abandon, just to get a feel of the instrument :agreed:

blanco

Reaction score
Your solo video is awesome. Love the use of the ebow, works especially well with the effortless slide transitions you can make on a fret less.

Goatchrist

Reaction score
WOW!
You sir, gave me some serious GAS!!!
As a person who wants to include some ethno/arab/oriental music in my metal, this seams a MUST!

Really digging the videos!

Happy NGD!

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks Goatchrist

Yeah my band is big into Middle Eastern music and Indian music as part of adapting their styles into our Jazz-Rock context.

And watching fretless videos on YT certainly gave me the push to try and incorporate it. :metal:

Instantly, after I got it, I knew it was a good decision. The Oud, Sarod and other ethnic instruments are easier to emulate on this, plus you can hit all the quarter / micro tones. :yesway:

If you want to incorporate those sounds and don't want to learn a new instrument this is certainly something you want to try. And a fretless guitar with a little drive and Delay and reverb gives an amazing haunting effect ! And throw in the E-Bow or Sustainer pup and you're really gonna get some serious attention at any gig !! :shred:

Thanks for checking out the videos :agreed:

pylyo

Reaction score
Nice!
I love Fernandes guitars (mij). I have an early 90's silver sparkle stratocaster, correct 60's headstock and it's amazing guitar, easily on pair with all Fenders I have ever tried.
And the neck and action is just out of this world. The build quality and woods are just hands down really on these guitars. I owned many Burny LP's, which are Fernandes actually, superb guitars.
Those are really hidden gems and I hope it stays like that. :fawk:

HNGD man!

jsl2h90

Reaction score
Is it sad that every awesome guitar I see all I can think is "I want that with 8 strings"
HNGD, I like the playing man. I could really see myself using one of these for a Cynic-y vibe.

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Thanks Overtone

That was a great link you put up. Thanks for introducing me to that artist !

Thanks jsl2h90. Yeah I have the same kind of feeling when I see a feature on a guitar I like. I end up wanting a "super guitar" something like a double neck 8 string Fretted - fretless made by Blackmachine with Bare knuckle pups and MIDI and Piezo capability. :lol: