NGD: GruvGear vs. Agile/Cepheus string mutes

• Thread starter noUser01
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I picked these up because they were dirt cheap, and I'm down to my last FretWrap. Figured it couldn't hurt to try. A few people were curious so I figured I might as well just take the plunge and give my experiences. Feels a bit funny writing all these details about pieces of fabric, but the people have spoken! ;)

28581212071_b163841271_h.jpg

28552774902_07d3f90d24_h.jpg

First off, the price is rad. GruvGear requires you to buy a 3-pack, and it costs $30 USD, without tax and shipping. Rondo is selling theirs for $9.95 each, which might seem like the same price... except you can get two for $11.95, or three for $12.95. I thought maybe I'd get hit in the shipping/taxes, but it was $18.95 total to ship to Washington State. Not bad, still a good savings compared to GruvGear.

Construction quality is just fine with both of them. They're well made and I don't see either of them getting ripped or worn any time soon. The tags and velcro are all sewn on there nicely. The velcro on them also keeps a strong hold too, so I don't see it falling off, like I expected it might.

Design is where these two start to differ. I've always loved the design of the GruvGear ones and I have to say they still hold the top spot for me. I find that tape causes tuning issues, hairbands stretch and lose effectiveness, and while the Cepheus mutes fix both those issues, they just aren't quite as effective. The biggest problem is the lack of the "frills" like the GruvGear's have, they allow you to mute the string without needing to apply much pressure to the strings because the fabric gets in between and under the strings, not just resting on top. The Cepheus mutes don't have this, so they rely more on getting a tight, flush contact point with the strings. Because of this, I find it can press the strings down a bit too much on the outside strings and can cause some fret noise, slightly different action across the strings, or even dead notes. Not the end of the world, but it does make them slightly finicky.

If you look at the pictures on the Rondo Music website, it seems that these were primarily designed to be used at the headstock, to mute the strings past the nut. That's one thing I wanted to get these for, because they're quite a bit smaller and I thought they could fit around the strings better, without having to wrap around the entire headstock which can cause the mute to slip towards the neck with certain headstock designs. This is where they really have an advantage over the GruvGear wraps. They fit around the strings and in small places better, and you don't have to worry about them pressing down on the strings - turning your low action into dead notes - you can get away with tightening it more on the headstock, without slipping.

Don't really know what else to say. I like them both a lot, but I like them for different things. Depends on both the application and the headstock design, but having both types around is definitely handy. :metal:

EDIT: As a side note, GruvGear just contacted me asking about the Cepheus product. Seems like there's a possibility of a copyright issue there...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I wonder if the Cepheus holds up better. The GG ones I bought fell apart,and that damn plastic ring kept turning sideways. I had to redo the stitching and put new Velcro on. I even stitched up real close to that plastic ring so it won't move anymore..

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I wonder if the Cepheus holds up better. The GG ones I bought fell apart,and that damn plastic ring kept turning sideways. I had to redo the stitching and put new Velcro on. I even stitched up real close to that plastic ring so it won't move anymore..

I haven't had that issue, personally. I think T.O.O. is right though, I think I recall them fixing that with the new wraps.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Ahh ok. I got mine a loong time ago and didn't even know about the HDs. After fixing mine, I've had zero problems and wasn't bothered enough to ever buy more.

Reaction score
I bought some Fretwraps about a 1 or 2 years ago and I do have that ring thing. It's just sad to see a good idea being badly designed. I'll try that sewing closer to the ring to see if it helps, but that is not the only problem I felt mine have. I think that the ring itself is wrongly positioned, it should be on top and not on the side or eventually on the back of the neck. If on top it will not "harm"/scratch the neck nor interfere with other hardware that the guitar might have (I have X-tenders tuners from Hipshot in 2 of my guitars).

Latest posts