NGD Headless/Multiscale Content

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Hello SSO! Just wanted to share with you all the bass I picked up on tour. It's a Legator WR5F. It originally belonged to my dear friend Tom from the band Amillennial, he didn't get along with it so he offered to sell it to me for a steal. Here's some photos and a review.

IMG_20230511_085835_480.jpgScreenshot_20230521_102023_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230521_102125_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230521_102115_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230521_102112_Photos.jpgScreenshot_20230521_102145_Photos.jpg

Overall I'm incredibly satisfied with this guitar. I've heard the Legator is pretty hit or miss and I never thought I'd buy one, but this thing is definitely a hit. The guitar is light, hardware is solid, playability is exceptional. Action is very low and the fretwork feels good. Tuning stability was incredibly stable on tour in drop G. Both the scale length and the roasted maple neck keep tuning and pitch quite stable. I pick really hard and previously had issues with pitching sharp when I strike the strings. The scale length on this solves that problem.

The Fishman pickups are fucking insane, they have 3 voices settings, treble and bass eq, blend, volume, and coil split tones. I have a very aggressive, heavily distorted guitar like bass tone and these absolutely destroy the EMG pickups in my Schecter. People compliment my tone at every single show, and older fans were taken aback at how insane this Legator sounds. I'm going to install these pickups in every bass I own.

Visually, I love superstrats and this is hands down my favorite body shape I've seen for a bass (I really like Dingwalls also though). I was planning on sanding it down and refinishing it black. But I wear all black on stage 99% of the time and this finish fucking GLOWS. So I think it's staying. The quality of finish is the weakest part of guitar though. It's just a thick slab of paint that looks and feels a little rough and cheap up close. I still like it though.

It's a working mans (headless) Dingwall. So far this is the only instrument I've been able to find that can fill the same niche as a Dingwall. Except I paid a quarter of the price. All in all I'm very satisfied and highly recommend the Legator WR5F, but only if you can get your hands on it first. I still don't trust their QC.

I'll record a bass playthrough of a song with this and post it here at some point.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Beautiful bass for sure. Have not had a chance to try a bass with the fishman's yet. Though I know schecter makes a SLS elite bass with these pick ups and demos have sounded solid.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sick! Looks like it's a 37" scale on the low B? Which if it is, is so good for drop G and not needing gigantic strings to do so.

Riverview

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I like how besides being headless is the fact it has a swamp ash body . Everything is usually alder unless you go custom shop for modern basses , which is a nice change . I personally haven't had much luck with such drastic multiscales , 3" is too much for me I think , but glad it works for you . Haven't heard much about those pickups so it's nice to hear they're good for future consideration !

Boofchuck

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
I like how besides being headless is the fact it has a swamp ash body . Everything is usually alder unless you go custom shop for modern basses , which is a nice change . I personally haven't had much luck with such drastic multiscales , 3" is too much for me I think , but glad it works for you . Haven't heard much about those pickups so it's nice to hear they're good for future consideration !
Yeah the pickups are very very good. The guitar is really comfortable in terms of weight. The fan is a lot though. Spending a lot of time on the first frets does hurt after a while. Fortunately that doesn't happen often in most of the music I play live.

Gtan7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats on that, I have 2 (headless) Leg Ghosts, pretty fond of them.

One potential vulnerable point is the tuners, keep some teflon plumbers tape and I think you can get a couple backups from Legator by asking (sometimes free)

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I've got a multi-scale Legator N8FX Ninja (26.5 - 28") that has been serving me very well of late! I haven't gotten a chance to play a Legator bass. For me, that niche is already filled an an Ibanez EHB headless.

Congrats on the find! Headless instruments and Legator as a brand both get my approval!

Latest posts