NGD: Ibanez Prestige RGR5221TFR

• Thread starter Jonnysleftfoot
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Got this beauty from @Ibanez Rules with the intention of doing the exact same mods as my RGR5227. Beyond happy with how it turned out, and it comes just in time for Halloween!

Hipshot Open gear locking tuners with universal mount system (Big fan of these. Makes installation a breeze and you don't need to get your drill out!)
Bare Knuckle Polymath's
Hipshot Ibby HM Bridge
Tone delete + move volume to tone position
Mad Hatter Terminator SV-IBZ (solder-less 5 way switch system)
Used a 5/16" nylon hole plug with a small dab of superglue on the side (it's not a super snug fit, but the glue keeps it in place and prevents it from moving)
Then a 1/4" nylon hole plug for the mini switch hole. This plug did not require any superglue. It was a perfect fit.

Really hard to get this color captured on camera so i tried a few different lighting scenarios.
IMG_0814 Large.jpegIMG_0820 Large.jpeg

Felt like this lighting showed off the grain pattern the best. In some lighting the figuring doesn't even show up on camera. Pretty wild.
IMG_0818 Large.jpeg
The reason I wanted to buy one from rich instead of a used one off reverb even though i planned on modding it:
IMG_0822 Large.jpeg
These fret ends get me all hot and bothered.
IMG_0821 Large.jpeg
Thought the mahogany back had some pretty sweet figuring.
IMG_0824 Large.jpeg
IMG_0825 Large.jpeg

IMG_0823 Large.jpeg

Hipshot tuners with the rail mounting system. Big fan of these.
IMG_0826 Large.jpeg
IMG_0827 Large.jpeg

Again, the color is really hard to capture with my phone camera. But man, having these two side by side with my preferred mods makes me a happy camper.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chri

-________-
Reaction score
This model is so sick, and the mods you did are super tasteful.
I've gotta ask, though. What's up with the saddles in the first pic? :lol:

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Before intonation. I had to move the 6th and 5th string saddles back to allow the string to come through the saddles. They were coming out behind the saddles because of where the string ferrules are on those two strings.
This model is so sick, and the mods you did are super tasteful.
I've gotta ask, though. What's up with the saddles in the first pic? :lol:

A.JohnHayes

Gallops go brrr
Reaction score
Awesome! Loved the Hipshot Ibby on my RG652AHM - while I don’t think it’s functionally much of an upgrade over the Gibraltar, it looks so much nicer. What do you think of the Polymaths?

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Awesome! Loved the Hipshot Ibby on my RG652AHM - while I don’t think it’s functionally much of an upgrade over the Gibraltar, it looks so much nicer. What do you think of the Polymaths?
Yeah it was purely a cosmetic thing for me. I actually find the Gibraltar bridges to be superior due to their open backed saddles. Because the 6th and 5th string ferrules are lower than the rest, the spot where the string comes out is behind the saddle. So on the Hipshot, I have to push the saddle back and pull the string through, or else the string comes through behind the saddle. This also happens on the green 7. The Gibraltar bridge doesn’t have that issue since the saddles are open on the back.

The polymaths are epic. I’ve got this guitar set up in d standard / drop c with 10-52 gauge strings and the clarity is insane. They’re not too hot and they have a certain mid range “voice” to them that’s hard for me to describe. The coil split sounds are probably my favorite of any humbucker. They seem really versatile, and I definitely want to try them in more guitars with different tunings. I’m still in the honeymoon phase with them but man they sound and feel really good.

Flick

Reaction score
I’ve got the same guitar and it’s my main squeeze.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Makes me want to check one of these out! Nice mods :)
I keep being tempted by the Polymaths - did the etched covers not appeal to you? Or did you think it would be too "busy" with the figuring of the top as well?

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Makes me want to check one of these out! Nice mods :)
I keep being tempted by the Polymaths - did the etched covers not appeal to you? Or did you think it would be too "busy" with the figuring of the top as well?
I just wanted the front to be orange and black haha