NGD - Ibanez RG652 AHM (Mixed Feelings)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ToneLab

Bedroom Playa
Reaction score
I've owned a bunch of RGs including the one you have and a ton of Jacksons etc. I agree with the comment that your hands get used to the profile. I've been playing mostly my Suhr (42 nut, .80-.88 thickness, 10-14 compound, 22 frets) and I picked up my RG this morning and could barely play it - it was so different. I spent so many years and so many guitars trying to find "the one" I've finally come to realize that no one guitar is the one for me - but I need a few of them for different styles. The Suhr neck isn't ever going to feel as good as my Schecter or Ibby for thrash riffing, and, the others won't do VH like the Suhr does. Part of it is mental too - when I think VH I want a strat with a maple board and 22 frets for instance. No practical reason for that, but mentally its important to get in the mood. Another thing too - string gauge and set up. I've been playing the Suhr a half step down with 9-42s. When I went to the Ibby that is standard 9-42 bends felt like moving mountains. Had I not had the Suhr set up down a half step- I would have been used to the standard tuning and it probably would have felt slinky. Crazy how these little differences (nut width 42 vs. 43 or same string gauge just down a half step) that you get used to seem so major when you change. I attribute that to how much muscle memory that you don't realize goes into the super fine motor movements necessary to play guitar.

That RG is a great guitar though - and will do anything. Congrats.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
I've owned a bunch of RGs including the one you have and a ton of Jacksons etc. I agree with the comment that your hands get used to the profile. I've been playing mostly my Suhr (42 nut, .80-.88 thickness, 10-14 compound, 22 frets) and I picked up my RG this morning and could barely play it - it was so different. I spent so many years and so many guitars trying to find "the one" I've finally come to realize that no one guitar is the one for me - but I need a few of them for different styles. The Suhr neck isn't ever going to feel as good as my Schecter or Ibby for thrash riffing, and, the others won't do VH like the Suhr does. Part of it is mental too - when I think VH I want a strat with a maple board and 22 frets for instance. No practical reason for that, but mentally its important to get in the mood. Another thing too - string gauge and set up. I've been playing the Suhr a half step down with 9-42s. When I went to the Ibby that is standard 9-42 bends felt like moving mountains. Had I not had the Suhr set up down a half step- I would have been used to the standard tuning and it probably would have felt slinky. Crazy how these little differences (nut width 42 vs. 43 or same string gauge just down a half step) that you get used to seem so major when you change. I attribute that to how much muscle memory that you don't realize goes into the super fine motor movements necessary to play guitar.

That RG is a great guitar though - and will do anything. Congrats.

Thanks for the reply man. My muscle memory has started to kick in and Im really liking this guitar after a few weeks, but ill never be as fast on it as I am with the dinky, that guitar is an absolute shred machine :)

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Also, this is my first Ibanez trem, Im used to Floyd Rose trems that are level with the body of the guitar. How do you know when the Ibanez trems are "level" as they seem to be on an angle from the body of the guitar?

mbardu

Reaction score
Also, this is my first Ibanez trem, Im used to Floyd Rose trems that are level with the body of the guitar. How do you know when the Ibanez trems are "level" as they seem to be on an angle from the body of the guitar?

Everything you need to know to setup an Ibanez with floating trem (or floating trems in general) is easily available at multiple sources online- but you can start with IbanezRules.
Specifically for the angle of the trem: https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Everything you need to know to setup an Ibanez with floating trem (or floating trems in general) is easily available at multiple sources online- but you can start with IbanezRules.
Specifically for the angle of the trem: https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/angle.htm

Thanks man, appreciate it. Its much easier to eye up a floyd rose eh? I read that before but I wasn't exactly sure what he meant by the knifes edge.

neoclassical85

Reaction score

EDIT: I went back over it, I see the knifes edge now. Hard to line that up exactly with the body because its so small but it does look like its a little bit off which would explain why the neck is straight but the action feels a bit higher over the 12th fret. Ill mess around with it to get it better. Thanks again.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
I’m glad you’re enjoying the guitar more now. It never hurts to have a little variety to the guitars you own. If you like Jackson necks the Charvel DK line necks should be closer to what you like.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
I’m glad you’re enjoying the guitar more now. It never hurts to have a little variety to the guitars you own. If you like Jackson necks the Charvel DK line necks should be closer to what you like.
Thanks man I LOVE Charvel guitars, I wish the headstock wasn't so ugly on that line of guitars though :)

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Glad to hear you’re enjoying the guitar. Very nice looking guitar too. :yesway:

I’ve been an Ibanez enthusiast for over 2 decades and I just recently bought my first ESP E-II, I noticed the difference in the feel of the neck right off but I fell in love with it and it’s my main player now even though I still love my Ibanezes. Variety is the spice of life.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Glad to hear you’re enjoying the guitar. Very nice looking guitar too. :yesway:

I’ve been an Ibanez enthusiast for over 2 decades and I just recently bought my first ESP E-II, I noticed the difference in the feel of the neck right off but I fell in love with it and it’s my main player now even though I still love my Ibanezes. Variety is the spice of life.

Nice, thanks man! It does take some getting used to when you've been using one brand or style of guitar for a long time :D

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents: Stick with it for a few weeks until you make a decision. When you've spent thousands of hours on 1 platform, and you decide to play on another, your muscle memory will tell you something is wrong. Spend some more time with the Ibanez. Maybe it will work out for you and you will find some positives.

Yeah i totally agree with this. When I bought my KM7 without trying one first it felt really odd and the 26.5" scale length was hard to come to grips with. I stuck it out and after a couple of weeks I much much much prefer it to any of my Ibanez guitars. Now i want a new 6 string with a 26.5" scale length. Wait a bit and actually try it for a while before deciding to shift it or not. You may end up surprised.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Yeah i totally agree with this. When I bought my KM7 without trying one first it felt really odd and the 26.5" scale length was hard to come to grips with. I stuck it out and after a couple of weeks I much much much prefer it to any of my Ibanez guitars. Now i want a new 6 string with a 26.5" scale length. Wait a bit and actually try it for a while before deciding to shift it or not. You may end up surprised.

Yep it took me about 2 weeks to adjust and now I love it. I cant put the thing down while my Jackson Dinky collects dust lol. Great advice.