[NGD]Iron Label 8 String/Questions!

• Thread starter vkw619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
Hey guys. New to the forum (for the most part). I have been listening to many of my favorite bands and been experimenting with some new ones. I'm mainly a drummer (not a good one) and I own 2 6's and a 7 (RG7321 with Blackouts in it currently) and I decided to pick this bad boy up. Got him for a good deal along with a Line 6 Spider 4 150Watt combo (datmeshuggatone) and I'm loving it. I was curious as to know if anyone has some good songs on 8's for complete newbs? Been learning Acacia Strain stuff so anything like that is great with me. Even some simple Djent riffs would be nice!

Reason I got this guitar (other than the great deal) were mainly due to the fact that I constantly kept downtuning my 7 to F and back to A# to play riffs by my favorite bands and mimic 8 Strings. Needless to say, didn't work to well.

Here are some terrible pics for your pleasure

2pocpad.jpg

240yf68.jpg

254zqer.jpg

2zgb12t.jpg

5nlun9.jpg

I am not sure how I feel about the 808s so far. They are pretty muddy on the low end, but I think it might be due to the string gauge being pretty low stock (even though it comes in Drop F when you receive it) but I've heard people can't fit a .74 into the tuning peg, does anyone have any links to instructions on how to file it down to make it fit?

Thanks guys!
Sorry for the bad quality photos. I just got back from work and decided to ask some questions and show off the new guitar!

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
First of all, happy NGD!

Try the EMG808X series, they are not as muddy on the low end and sound great in general. More passive-like, sort of.

I noticed something in your photos:

It looks like the strings are not correctly aligned with the fretboard. The high E string is very close to the edge of the fretboard, while the lowest string is very far away from the edge of the fretboard. Doesn't exactly look centered to me. Not sure if this will cause any issues, but you might want to look into that.

Cjanz

The riffs, man.
Reaction score
HNGD!

To fit your string through the peg just unwind it a bit at the end after you clip it. No drilling/filing. You can also file the nut with the bit of string you clip, just be careful as to not file it too much!

Happy playing and congrats. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Those strings are WAYYYYY off center. Return or exchange that thing!!!

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Those strings are WAYYYYY off center. Return or exchange that thing!!!
No need to return or exchange, man! If it was a good deal and you can handle off center strings - it doesn't affect the tone or anything. And it isnt too hard of a fix.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
Is the nut messed up? I can't tell from the pictures... but it looks like a good excuse to get a new one! haha

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
I had an Agile that had the same issue. It was the neck, neck pocket, and neck bolts not lining up. I tried to fix it and even took it to a shop with no luck and ended up returning it.

Really a deal is only a deal if its all kosher, but to me the strings being off like that is a defect. I could see a $400 guitar having something like that, but being a $900 Ibanez model leaves me pretty unimpressed.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Looks like it might be the bridge that's out of wack, like it wasn't placed properly.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses

I purchased the guitar from a chain so I should be able to exchange if necessary (shipping to my college campus was a b**** though ><)

Here are some more pictures so you guys can possibly get a better look at the problem

(excuse the messy dorm. Its my roommates side of the room as mine is covered in new guitar boxes and such)
Sorry for the size and the amount of picture spam but I need to make sure you guys can see cause I'm completely dumb when it comes to things of this nature

33blif4.jpg

2z3sbox.jpg

13ykln4.jpg

21j11tu.jpg

30ue6f8.jpg

112d8ya.jpg

2je1gko.jpg

295wn6s.jpg

se9cac.jpg

2sbtso6.jpg

The last few pics is me progressively going up the guitars neck. As I examine it, the high e seems to get closer to the center as you go up the neck?

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
So basically, all I can do is exchange correct?

Pretty much. If you load the pic of the bridge, pickups and body, the really good one where you can see you in the gloss clear coat, and make straight lines from the center of the two side screws of the bridge and go to the first pickup, you'll see that the bridge is like 1/8th of an inch off, maybe even a 1/4th of an inch. That's the main issue with the guitar, and REALLLY awful QC for a ....ing $900 guitar.

You'd expect that kinda shit on starter Dean MLX's, not an Ibanez. :noway:

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
Pretty much. If you load the pic of the bridge, pickups and body, the really good one where you can see you in the gloss clear coat, and make straight lines from the center of the two side screws of the bridge and go to the first pickup, you'll see that the bridge is like 1/8th of an inch off, maybe even a 1/4th of an inch. That's the main issue with the guitar, and REALLLY awful QC for a ....ing $900 guitar.

You'd expect that kinda shit on starter Dean MLX's, not an Ibanez. :noway:

Damn dude. I really appreciate it. Although, I'm not sure what to do from here. Considering according to the place I bought it (Zzounds) it takes like a month to process a freaking return. I love the neck on this thing though. Not sure. Anyone else get a lemon apparently this bad from the IL series? Everyone I know seems to ADORE them.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
Damn dude. I really appreciate it. Although, I'm not sure what to do from here. Considering according to the place I bought it (Zzounds) it takes like a month to process a freaking return. I love the neck on this thing though. Not sure. Anyone else get a lemon apparently this bad from the IL series? Everyone I know seems to ADORE them.

I would not even care. I'd return it anyways. Then, I'd email Ibanez and let them know how great their QC is. And use the pics as proof.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
I would not even care. I'd return it anyways. Then, I'd email Ibanez and let them know how great their QC is. And use the pics as proof.

I am going to probably try my luck with an exchange. I live and die by Ibanez necks (purely for the fact that I have small hands they are the only guitars that I feel comfortable playing past a 6 string) Unless someone else has a similarly priced suggestion?

Sorry if this is derailing the topic but now I feel as if I'm in a bind.

How the heck do you even contact the QC of Ibanez? lol.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I am going to probably try my luck with an exchange. I live and die by Ibanez necks (purely for the fact that I have small hands they are the only guitars that I feel comfortable playing past a 6 string) Unless someone else has a similarly priced suggestion?

Sorry if this is derailing the topic but now I feel as if I'm in a bind.

How the heck do you even contact the QC of Ibanez? lol.

I'd contact Customer Service @ Ibanez and tell them that they REALLY need to work on the QC of their Iron Label series, and show them the pics. If you need, I'll work on the pic I pointed out earlier with what I'm talking about so you can send it to them. Good luck and give em hell, bro. :hbang:

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
I'd contact Customer Service @ Ibanez and tell them that they REALLY need to work on the QC of their Iron Label series, and show them the pics. If you need, I'll work on the pic I pointed out earlier with what I'm talking about so you can send it to them. Good luck and give em hell, bro. :hbang:

I'd gladly take a better pic of it so you could better work it out. And I will gladly send it to them.

But when I go to the contact us link on Ibanez, it only lets me ask about buying and warranty. How hard is it to get a phone number for a massive company?

Edit: I'm going to take some better pics and post them. And I'd like you to show me exactly what you see because I am very curious as to the main cause you see. If you wouldn't mind

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I'd gladly take a better pic of it so you could better work it out. And I will gladly send it to them.

No need, dude. Gimme a few minutes. :yesway::yesway:

But when I go to the contact us link on Ibanez, it only lets me ask about buying and warranty. How hard is it to get a phone number for a massive company?

Hmm, I dunno. Wonder if you can consider it a warranty matter considering the guitar is poorly controlled from a quality perspective. I'd just pick an option and send it anyways.