[NGD]Iron Label 8 String/Questions!

• Thread starter vkw619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
Are these pictures better?
Closer up but I'm not sure if that is what you need tbh.

2q9kxt4.jpg

301q92a.jpg

Edit: reading your post from earlier, I think I can kinda see what you are saying. I went and place the side of my palms on the bridge with my fingers going towards the fretboard. My left hand (low F side), allows me to touch the bridge and the pup without moving.
My right hand (high e side) on the other hand, I have to move my fingers inward a good bit to even touch the pup. I just assumed that was a design with the 808 being a bit on the long side until now obviously.

shawnperolis

7 String Indie Game Dev
Reaction score
Holy crap man, that is WAY off... I'd return that thing immediately and send an email to Ibanez letting them know how goddamn awful it is.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
Yeah, that alignment is jacked up! Funny thing, my first Ibanez 7 string I ever had (9-ish years ago) had the same issue, only it was misaligned the other direction so whenever you'd go to play the low B, you'd involuntarily push it off the neck. Very frustrating!

As to your original question of what bands to practice, check out After the Burial's stuff, anything on Rareform. I'm actually trying to learn that album start to finish right now! Cheers & good luck with the exchange!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Too many guys that don't know what they are talking about giving advice. Neck alignment issues are very common on bolt ons, especially imports. Loosen the neck, pull it in the direction it needs to go in the pocket and tighten it back. It's literally a 10 second fix. No need to return the guitar.

Galius

Mentally Guitarded
Reaction score
Too many guys that don't know what they are talking about giving advice. Neck alignment issues are very common on bolt ons, especially imports. Loosen the neck, pull it in the direction it needs to go in the pocket and tighten it back. It's literally a 10 second fix. No need to return the guitar.

Its hard to tell on this one but I dont think its the bridge. The couple ive had with this issue pulling the neck over only worked to an extent, as the necks would eventually slide back on an angle even after a good tightening. This one looks worse than the ones ive had and I also wouldnt be comfortable with a neck pocket that have you that much play. But hey, maybe I dont know what im talking about. :nuts:

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
These indo Ibbys have far from tight neck pockets. The neck could easily move that much through shipping and temp changes. When I got my JPX the alignment was just as bad and those neck pockets are far tighter. Moving the neck a couple of millimeters in the pocket will align the strings perfectly. Sure the bridge could be off, but 9 times out of 10 the issue is just the neck moving in the pocket. At any rate it takes less than a minute to try to move the neck. If it doesn't help then he can send it back.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh you can accurately measure a bridge centerline from a bad picture? :lol:

macgruber

cat enthusiast
Reaction score
the bridge doesn't line up with the pickups. even if the neck pocket is off and is moved, it still is a bit wonky with the bridge alignment.

Johnathan

Gearhead
Reaction score
HNGD!! If you plan to play in F standard, i find meshuggah songs are very good to practice to. Regarding alternative tunings, if you want to play songs in Ab you can drop the 7th string from Bb to Ab in no time. I've done a couple of songs where i tune F - Ab instead of the standard F - Bb.

Regarding strings, i currently using 074 - 009 on my RG2228 that is tuned to F standard. the 6 regular strings are 009 - 046 gauge, the 7th is 56 gauge and the 8th is a 74 gauge. I find this optimal for both tone and tension.

Regarding the neck. It looks a bit out of alignment. Either you return the guitar and make your retailer or ibanez fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it. Fix it yourself.

vkw619

Inspired Beginner
Reaction score
Hey guys! I have an update! I received my new Iron Label 8 today and she is a beauty! I will have pics in the OP soon! I'm excited. I'm currently cleaning it now and going to try and put .74s on it. Wish me luck! I hope I don't run into any trouble! :ugh:

Thank you all for your help with the first try. Lets hope second times the charm! Once its restrung I'll post pictures to make sure alignment is all good. :hbang:

Edit: apparently can't update OP. I'll post pictures here then! Hope you guys can see them!