NGD: Jackson Pro Series Josh Smith SL7

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
After letting the dust settle for about a week I figure it's time to sort out my NGD post for this glorious Made in Korea Jackson. Pics first!

IMG_1018.jpg
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1020.jpg
IMG_1021.jpg
IMG_1022.JPG

Novel:
-I really can't say enough good things about this guitar. The paint finish/execution is almost flawless (absolutely obsessed with the color!) and the neck is as silky smooth as my Mulecaster which I truly believed could not be matched in feel.

-The pickups are so well balanced and suited (obviously) to the guitar and I like them so much I've taken away my pre-eq processing on every sound I dial in to just let them be. I was a huge fan of the Black Hawks and have wanted to try out an Impulse set as soon as they were announced, but for one reason or another this is the first chance I've gotten to get them under my hands.

-It showed up tuned to B Standard even though from what I've heard these are supposed to ship a step down. Potentially because of this, the action was a bit high and there was a surprising amount of relief in the neck. I purchased from Sweetwater and have found that regardless of what a guitar is supposed to be set up to, if they've got 'Standard' written on a spec sheet for a brand, they're going to tune it up for better or worse.. I spent some time getting the neck where I like it with just a hair of relief and the height of the low B dropped from 6/32nds(!) to 3/32nds without any buzz. The remaining 6 strings were just above where I like them already so a half-turn on the evertune got them in check. This might be a weird thing to say, but the guitar takes to a setup really well--with some guitars you have to fuss and go back and forth adjusting for days until everything settles, but this one is really up for whatever you throw at it--total breeze.

-I've got it set up in open Eb (1-5-1-3-5-1) with a low Bb on the bottom and HOLY SHIT does it sound great there. There's a 99.9% chance I'm going to drop it to open C with a low G on the bottom, but I'm taking the 7 string thing one day at a time since this is the first I've owned in ~10 years

-For anyone interested, the neck feels like a C shape and is .70 at the first fret and .84 at the 12th

-Since having it for a week I've already recorded more than I have all year and that's definitely thanks to the incredible sounding pickups and the ease of the Evertune. I'm worried for my non-Evertune'd sixers because their days may be numbered since I've got this hangin around now. The neck and middle positions on the selector switch are so soupy and surprisingly stratty sounding. The bridge is as pissed as you need it to be, but the secret bridge inner coil option when you're in the middle and roll the volume of the neck down has already made it's way as a leading favorite sound for textural or lead stuff

Gripes:

-I mentioned in the main SL7 thread that the ebony fretboard is spotted just about all over and found that after a setup with some oil the dots persist. If anyone knows any tips or tricks or even what they are (through google maybe they're mineral spots?) that'd be super helpful. They didn't scrape off with a razor blade and even with oil they still show through, though a shade less than before the treatment. I tend to be bothered by things like that, but in this case the guitar sounds and feels so good that I'm okay with chuckling and just telling people they're freckles when they notice them. They're still really hard to photograph, but it looks like there may be another one or two available at Sweetwater that have the same thing if you look close enough

-I opened it up to look in the back cavity and the wiring pretty clean (way cleaner than expected), but it looks like they're MIK pots. May swap them for VIP/BKP pots, but it sounds so good as is it's more of an OCD thing than anything else

-This may be more of an Evertune problem than anything else, but I noticed the D string tends to slip tuning if i bend it at all. I will set it in zone 2 because I'm a caveman and am not interested in bends or much vibrato and the tuning will drop about a quarter step if i do bend the string accidentally and i can tune it back up with the tuner or the saddle. Importantly, the tuner seems to only have about 30% of the zone range as all of the other tuners. Could this be an issue with the tuner or maybe an Evertune saddle assembly that needs replaced? It will hold pitch if I don't bend and I can leave it there for days, but it's the only string I actually have to babysit when all the others hold solid

Anyway, big block of text over! I'd love to see more people get their hands on these, but understand especially in the USA how the price can be a bit of a turnoff. Totally worth giving it a shot if you like fun, fast guitars in fun, fast colors

--Cheap

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gripes:

-I mentioned in the main SL7 thread that the ebony fretboard is spotted just about all over and found that after a setup with some oil the dots persist. If anyone knows any tips or tricks or even what they are (through google maybe they're mineral spots?) that'd be super helpful. They didn't scrape off with a razor blade and even with oil they still show through, though a shade less than before the treatment. I tend to be bothered by things like that, but in this case the guitar sounds and feels so good that I'm okay with chuckling and just telling people they're freckles when they notice them. They're still really hard to photograph, but it looks like there may be another one or two available at Sweetwater that have the same thing if you look close enough

-I opened it up to look in the back cavity and the wiring pretty clean (way cleaner than expected), but it looks like they're MIK pots. May swap them for VIP/BKP pots, but it sounds so good as is it's more of an OCD thing than anything else

-This may be more of an Evertune problem than anything else, but I noticed the D string tends to slip tuning if i bend it at all. I will set it in zone 2 because I'm a caveman and am not interested in bends or much vibrato and the tuning will drop about a quarter step if i do bend the string accidentally and i can tune it back up with the tuner or the saddle. Importantly, the tuner seems to only have about 30% of the zone range as all of the other tuners. Could this be an issue with the tuner or maybe an Evertune saddle assembly that needs replaced? It will hold pitch if I don't bend and I can leave it there for days, but it's the only string I actually have to babysit when all the others hold solid

Anyway, big block of text over! I'd love to see more people get their hands on these, but understand especially in the USA how the price can be a bit of a turnoff. Totally worth giving it a shot if you like fun, fast guitars in fun, fast colors

--Cheap
HNGD! I love mine, although i havent had any of the issues you have had? My fretboard is spotless, My evertune is also PERFECT and i do agree on the pots! Would have loved to have seen CTS 550k and 250k in there.

2nd ever thread on this guitar, heres your badge! 🥈

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
I mentioned in the main SL7 thread that the ebony fretboard is spotted just about all over and found that after a setup with some oil the dots persist. If anyone knows any tips or tricks or even what they are (through google maybe they're mineral spots?) that'd be super helpful.

Do you have closeups of the dots? I can't see anything of note in the pictures above.

Also, is the colour difference between the neck and headstock at the scarf joint as pronounced as it is in your last photo? In the full body back shot, the neck looks uniform, so I wondered if it was weird exposure settings in the headstock pick.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
HNGD! I love mine, although i havent had any of the issues you have had? My fretboard is spotless, My evertune is also PERFECT and i do agree on the pots! Would have loved to have seen CTS 550k and 250k in there.

2nd ever thread on this guitar, heres your badge! 🥈
Ha! Your thread definitely wasn’t helping during my wait for it to ship across the country 😆So happy to have that silver medal on this guy

Do you have closeups of the dots? I can't see anything of note in the pictures above.

Also, is the colour difference between the neck and headstock at the scarf joint as pronounced as it is in your last photo? In the full body back shot, the neck looks uniform, so I wondered if it was weird exposure settings in the headstock pick.
Ya the quality of these pictures is all over the place and making it hard to tell. I can't be fussed to upload externally and link so the direct upload tends to sway usually towards pixellation or strange coloration in my experience so far :scratch:

The difference at the scarf joint is about as drastic as it looks in the closeup shot, but can blend in much more depending on the lighting. I've seen some matched up almost seamlessly, but this one sure ain't it lol

My buddy actually was able to grab a picture of it when I opened it that I didn't see and it's got a great capture of what's going on with the fretboard dots. You can see it crystal clear on the first few frets, but he's artsy and the rest is blurred. It follows up the length of the fretboard like that:

tempImageSKcq0j.jpg

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
My buddy actually was able to grab a picture of it when I opened it that I didn't see and it's got a great capture of what's going on with the fretboard dots. You can see it crystal clear on the first few frets, but he's artsy and the rest is blurred. It follows up the length of the fretboard like that:

Oh, interesting. Are you certain it isn't lacquer overspray?

It wouldn't be pore filler and I've never seen ebony spotted like that. I can't see how a dye would cause that reaction.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Very nice! Love the roasted maple in a neck through.

I'm sure you can clean that off the fretboard, or it'll become harder to see over time.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
Also, check out this thread on this forum from 2014. Looks to be your exact issue. The poster tried various methods to get rid of it. What worked in the end was lemon juice (not oil). Worth a try?
YES THANK YOU! I found that thread, but couldn't get the pictures to load for me. My first thought was overspray, but when there wasn't any change after hitting it with a razor blade I was less confident. I will absolutely have to give the lemons a shot before too long. Comparing how it looks now to the picture from the first day they've definitely faded a bit so hopefully we'll end up with a super clean blank board when all is said and done

Very nice! Love the roasted maple in a neck through.

I'm sure you can clean that off the fretboard, or it'll become harder to see over time.
Really pleased they were able to go for the 1 piece neck with titanium reinforcements on this one too. I can live with the scarf joint shade difference, but a multi piece neck on top of that might have been a bit disorienting to look at while playing lol

___

For anyone interested I threw together a little clip of just a two chord progression with some pretty clear Northlane inspiration. Still getting used to having this much range on the low end of things, but it's sounding pretty huge without much effort or treatment at all:

Last edited:

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Oh shoot this is way sexier than I thought it was! I didn't know he went with a strat style headstock for his production sig.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
oh also, i prefer to run 550/280k pots in mine. If you get around to replacing them, go for those values. Available from BKP
Earlier today I did actually impulse buy those exact values for it lol should be here by the end of the week. Went with the 20% medium taper on 'em--curious to see how it ends up effecting how the pickups hit my rig!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not my thing at all, but whoever FMIC is sourcing from in Korea is really putting together some nice guitars. Enjoy!

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Not my thing at all, but whoever FMIC is sourcing from in Korea is really putting together some nice guitars. Enjoy!
Pretty sure all the MIK Jacksons are WMI. For all the complaining people around here do about their pro series everyone seems to agree that the MIK models are generally very good.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty sure all the MIK Jacksons are WMI. For all the complaining people around here do about their pro series everyone seems to agree that the MIK models are generally very good.
I thought they were all WMI, but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, I have yet to play one that isn't good. Overall, Mexico, Korea, and China seem to be kicking the crap out of Indonesia.