NGD: Jackson Pro Series Josh Smith SL7

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
I thought they were all WMI, but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, I have yet to play one that isn't good. Overall, Mexico, Korea, and China seem to be kicking the crap out of Indonesia.
Yep. Agreed.

I think the the KWJ serial is country-factory-brand. So: Korea, WMI, Jackson.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Ugh another guitar I want.

I’m good. Good I say!

Congrats tho homie. That color is dihhhhhhviiiiiiiiiiine-uh!

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I thought they were all WMI, but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, I have yet to play one that isn't good. Overall, Mexico, Korea, and China seem to be kicking the crap out of Indonesia.

When I recently played a decent number of Jacksons and Charvels, the Indo Jacksons were all very underwhelming while the Mexican Charvels were very nice. And the Loomis Soloist I had my eyes on was great.

djkhaled305

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I played one of these in a store recently and honestly it was one of the best playing import guitars I’ve ever touched. Perfect neck shape too, I barely noticed that it was a 7

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
Update: I got the new BKP/CTS pots installed and I’m actually even more impressed with the MIK pots originally installed lol. The difference is almost imperceptible with the bridge pickup—definitely more obvious with the neck pickup.

To be esoteric about it they are definitely a smidge more ‘together’ sounding in the low end which I didn’t expect and open in the high end especially in the middle position when playing more percussive sounds

I did have to enlarge the holes to get the pots to fit, but really only removed a little bit of paint (.31” for MIK and .34” for CTS). Super easy, barely and inconvenience

Going to extremely cautiously try out the lemon thing today with a string change so will update if the freckles disappear!

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
This has consistently been my most lusted after guitar of the past two years or so.
Scared to try one in person in case I end up buying one with money I don't have!

@noob_pwn Has the response been positive enough to open the door for discussing future models/variations from FMIC?
Personally I can see it being a very good product line in a similar way that the HT6 & 7 have been, i.e. a signature model that can surpass its artist and stand alone as its own design.

Cheap

.....ite
Reaction score
Final update--the lemon trick seemed to totally work! It felt very wrong while doing it, but after 2 coats i noticed the freckles disappeared in all, but the most discerning light and the last couple days I haven't been able to see them at all. So now I've got an SL7 with a fully functional evertune, upgraded bkp/cts pots, and a JET BLACK ebony board. What an absolute monster!

Really hoping the response to these has been positive enough to make the model stand on its own like JimF is saying. Would love to see these in more color variants and if a miracle happens and they put out a 6er that'd be an instant buy no ragrets

noob_pwn

Reaction score
This has consistently been my most lusted after guitar of the past two years or so.
Scared to try one in person in case I end up buying one with money I don't have!

@noob_pwn Has the response been positive enough to open the door for discussing future models/variations from FMIC?
Personally I can see it being a very good product line in a similar way that the HT6 & 7 have been, i.e. a signature model that can surpass its artist and stand alone as its own design.
I've floated it with them for sure. But out of my hands. I'd love to offer a cheaper HT version and then a 29.5" version... will see where i get to

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I've floated it with them for sure. But out of my hands. I'd love to offer a cheaper HT version and then a 29.5" version... will see where i get to
I remember a while back on an Instagram story, you asked if you should do an orange version in honor of Orange's recovery. Was that just a passing thought? I just tried the new multiscale pro series 7 in 'satin orange crush' and the color is pretty amazing in person.

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
I felt like with a NGD thread at the top of the stack, there's no reason to make another one of the same so I figured I'd pile on. My prediction above was correct. :D
My SW rep gave me a pretty wacky deal on this - I just couldn't say no.
20230908_134331.jpg 20230908_134334.jpg
Also seems to have dots on the board - but I don't really care too much. And maybe slight brush/tarnish on the bridge? Idk - for the money I saved on brand new unit I really couldn't be bothered. The pickups are INSANE! They're so freaking clear.
20230908_134105.jpg
20230908_134128.jpg
The only thing this guitar could do better is have a tremolo, and well... Evertune - lmk.
20230908_134455.jpg
I pulled some stats on the interwebz regarding neck thickness because I'm a smaller guy and I can't do ERGs on chonking necks, and this definitely was riding the line of being tolerable *on paper* - When it showed up, I was wowed with how thin it was. Thinner than the AM-7 I compared it to on paper.
20230908_134449.jpg

The neck also seems to have a small swell after the 5th fret down to about the 12th before tapering back in, I dunno if that was intentional - but I like it! If you saw my rack of guitars, it'd be easy to tell I'm kind of a red guitar person - but this finish really wins me over.

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I felt like with a NGD thread at the top of the stack, there's no reason to make another one of the same so I figured I'd pile on. My prediction above was correct. :D
View attachment 130166 View attachment 130170
Also seems to have dots on the board - but I don't really care too much. And maybe slight brush/tarnish on the bridge? Idk - for the money I saved on brand new unit I really couldn't be bothered. The pickups are INSANE! They're so freaking clear.
View attachment 130167
View attachment 130168
The only thing this guitar could do better is have a tremolo, and well... Evertune - lmk.
View attachment 130169
I pulled some stats on the interwebz regarding neck thickness because I'm a smaller guy and I can't do ERGs on chonking necks, and this definitely was riding the line of being tolerable *on paper* - When it showed up, I was wowed with how thin it was. Thinner than the AM-7 I compared it to on paper.
View attachment 130171

The neck also seems to have a small swell after the 5th fret down to about the 12th before tapering back in, I dunno if that was intentional - but I like it! If you saw my rack of guitars, it'd be easy to tell I'm kind of a red guitar person - but this finish really wins me over.
Lovely!!!! What do you think of the pickups?

Northfall

Established Djentleman
Reaction score
Lovely!!!! What do you think of the pickups?
I'm really REALLY impressed. I've had my eye on them for a while, but just never really found something I was willing to ditch what I had for it. So this ended up being a two for one, as I've been trying to get a really pronounced 7 string for Drop F / F# to have tonal clarity and tuning stability. This feels like it checks that box in every way.

Jinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm really REALLY impressed. I've had my eye on them for a while, but just never really found something I was willing to ditch what I had for it. So this ended up being a two for one, as I've been trying to get a really pronounced 7 string for Drop F / F# to have tonal clarity and tuning stability. This feels like it checks that box in every way.
I have to say the same thing as you, really really impressed. I went from emg 81-7s to the impulse when I bought one of Josh’s guitars before the sig and I noticed it doesn’t sound flubby at all. I also think it’s down to the guitar, I found the sig has all the aspects of my San Dimas but better. Awesome pickups. Tuning stability is also amazing with the evertune and I’ll never own another 7 without one.

Otter359

Reaction score
View attachment 130166 View attachment 130170
View attachment 130167
View attachment 130168
View attachment 130169
View attachment 130171

How wacky of a deal? My SW rep had no concessions to make on the price :(

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Every time I see this thread title name I think we're talking about the the blues guy Josh Smith who has a signature Ibanez, and keep thinking he jumped ship.