NGD: Krazy Koa #2 [Mayones Content]

• Thread starter narad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Sooo... haven't had a NGD in a while, and actually bought this guitar maybe a year ago, only managing to have it shipped over to the UK this week.

It's a Mayones Regius Koa limited. There were 2 others made -- Jonathan has one of them but is too lazy to NGD it -- and they have the best koa tops I've ever seen on a Mayones, almost all 3 looking exactly the same. Rest of the specs are the obvious: 25.5" scale, ebony board, limba body, hannes bridge, schaller tuners. Not sure what the runners are but most of the neck is maple.

If you know me you know I really dislike gushy guitar reviews. My take on this is that I'd played 2 other Mayones guitars before that were lower spec, with SD pickups, in a Japanese guitar store and thought they seemed well made but a bit sterile and lifeless sounding. The overall vibe was that it felt a bit plasticy or a bit toyish, quite possible because they're very smooth and there's plastic binding on most of the edges you actually wind up touching. Actually, this is still my impression.

But on the other hand, the craftsmanship is top notch, better than many other of the SSO favs that are well regarded. There's only a couple guitars I own that I consider flawless, and I still need to examine a bit closer, but I'm very impressed with Mayones build quality. Every join is super clean, the binding is perfect, the side dots are right on. There's just a lot of additional laminates here between the abalone purfling, 2 multi-ply strips there, mutiply laminate below the neck binding, etc. They're all perfect. Where the gloss body meets the satin neck, a very clean line. Well done, Mayones.

And to the sound, there's two variables: Mayones, and the black water neodynium moderns that are in there. BW was great to work with by the way, and whipped up this nice set with ebony covers and gold poles for a very competitive price. I'm just personally a bit surprised at the sound: it's so polite and smooth! In my head I thought I was getting something super aggressive, maybe in the range of the nazgul or lundgren m7. These are very weird - they have a lower mid darkness with just a hint of aggressiveness, but the upper mids/highs are backed off and super smooth. Full on in the high register, you're still miles away from ice pickiness. Closest pickup in overall sound? I think of it as a less harsh BKP aftermath, about the same in the low-mids, and greatly tamed on the highs.

Not that I even have to, but switching to the neck for leads yields an incredibly vocal, legato-friendly sound. I don't have much hands-on with the JPs, but the liquifire is the first thing that comes to mind.

Neck or bridge, exceptionally clear. Can also clean up easily to do more classic rock sounds, but it imparts more of a hi-fi sound that makes it more like a studio recording than a classic rock cover.

So not at all what I was expecting, and I've had about a year to be picturing the sound in my head. A welcome addition, and very different from your sound, but a bit of a surprise. Now I still need to find that really crushing heavy sound I was after in the first place! Still play with my amp settings a bit, maybe I can dial some of the meanness in.

Anyway, here's some pics. I botched the exposure on all but one and my red shift software was already active by the time I pulled them into lightroom to fix it, so I hope I didn't mess them up. I see now a couple are a bit blurrier than they seemed in the preview :-/

29097618854_159cdd8399_b.jpg

29688966476_44ee337c5c_b.jpg

29643163191_8688a57c77_b.jpg

29724308825_413502062c_b.jpg

29643162211_3ed617d2ba_b.jpg

29724307745_ac1bfd6625_b.jpg

29724307435_46ae95377f_b.jpg

29433180620_d6560cb9ee_b.jpg

29433180290_1406d0d891_b.jpg

29433179780_e14855bbe9_b.jpg

Summary:
-- Mayones: excellent craftsmanship, great wood selection, a bit sterile
-- BW neodynium moderns: exceptionally clear pickups, but not as mean sounding as you might expect

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ramses

Guitar/pizza regular
Contributor
Reaction score
Impressive beauty.

Can you elaborate on the "sterile"? Not warm sounding enough? Sustain?

narad

Reaction score
Looks killer and nice review! Thanks!

Cheers!

Impressive beauty.

Can you elaborate on the "sterile"? Not warm sounding enough? Sustain?

Hmm. I can try but I think I'm going to do a poor job of it. I think it's about nuances. You play a good LP or tele, and all these subtle bends and vibrato that translate really directly to what you hear. You feel a connection from that immediacy and that fine-grained response. If you take a compressor on it makes things a bit clearer, but it no longer sounds quite so raw or expressive. It sounds more predictable, repeatable, etc. Naturally a compressor is a complicated thing and you're not going to get studio level compression without some dedicated effect, but I think that effect is there in a subtle way when comparing the sound of this guitar to my other guitars.

Actually I think this is something a lot of the guys that do a lot of computer recording would prefer, the guys that like to track everything, but I'm usually after a more raw in-the-room sound. I mean, my amp's a noisy fuzz wall Matamp :)

Sustain seems about average.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Wow!! Great guitar and quite possibly the best Koa Top.....ever!!

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Hey now, I may be lazy. But you're ....ing nuts to not import this almost immediately after the purchase :D

Congrats man, looks great.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
Yo the guitar is ....ing killer and all, but post specs on that PC tho. :lol:

Just pullin' ya, HNGD! Koa is probably one of my favorite top woods, this one looks so ....ing gold.

xzacx

Reaction score
I feel like this is a weird thing to comment on when the top is clearly so fantastic, but I really dig the look of those pickups!

Jujex

Reaction score
Hallelujah!

This is what a proper Koa top should like. Many companies can't get it right.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I was wondering when you were going to get this. Sick Koa top! Blackwater Neodymiums are exceptional lead pickups but you need a boost to get anything aggressive out of them.

pylyo

Reaction score
stunning top!
probably the best looking koa I've seen so far

What's the weight?

narad

Reaction score
Thanks dudes!

Yo the guitar is ....ing killer and all, but post specs on that PC tho. :lol:

Ha, ask and ye shall receive (since I used the very convenient pc part picker). It looks all teenage gamer but it's actually my work PC for running tensorflow experiments when my laptop hasn't been cutting it. (And so maybe I've also noticed that it runs counter strike: GO at 300 fps while running experiments :lol:)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£306.10 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£100.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£135.86 @ BT Shop)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£141.33 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£141.33 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card (£649.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case (£162.15 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£116.11 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1888.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-17 23:37 BST+0100

I feel like this is a weird thing to comment on when the top is clearly so fantastic, but I really dig the look of those pickups!

Yea, I photoshop mockup everything these days. If I ever get it refret it'll be with the evo gold wire, and I'll then swap the chome tuner bits to gold and be aesthetically done with it, but no rush.

I was wondering when you were going to get this. Sick Koa top! Blackwater Neodymiums are exceptional lead pickups but you need a boost to get anything aggressive out of them.

Yea, I really agree. I was playing today with more gain and even then it's still clearer than the other guitars. Still I think the standout is the neck, since that is just such a vocal pickup. The closest I personally have is an air norton, but it's even smoother than that.

What's the weight?

I'm afraid I'm ill equipped to say, but it was the lighter of the two that went to that particular dealer.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
Thanks dudes!
Ha, ask and ye shall receive (since I used the very convenient pc part picker). It looks all teenage gamer but it's actually my work PC for running tensorflow experiments when my laptop hasn't been cutting it. (And so maybe I've also noticed that it runs counter strike: GO at 300 fps while running experiments :lol:)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£306.10 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£100.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£135.86 @ BT Shop)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£134.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card (£649.99 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass ATX Mid Tower Case (£162.15 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£116.11 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1888.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-17 23:37 BST+0100

Damn, that is a decked out PC, I really love the case. :D

haffner1

Reaction score
Awesome top on that axe. For me, blank boards almost ruin a guitar though, but that's just a thing I have. Happy new guitar day!

narad

Reaction score
Those Enthoo cases are good looking

Ha, this is the problem with these crap 1-room London apartments -- can't take a picture of what you want without including half the room! The case is really nice for 2-3 fan watercooled solutions though, about the only scenario that could justify the price.

Awesome top on that axe. For me, blank boards almost ruin a guitar though, but that's just a thing I have. Happy new guitar day!

You'd hate the rest of my guitars then :)

One of the perks to me about ordering custom guitars is getting rid of the inlays, as for many guitars -- especially ESP -- they'll have great specs but some awful 12th fret inlay (ESP or EBMM BFR) or some signature (Kiko Loureiro ruining one of the best spec'd guitars ever!), etc. But I think this would have also been cool if it had offset dots made of koa, as one option.